60mm bokeh samples - Very pleased

iSilentP

Once you are able to workaround the slower AF speed, the lens becomes really nice to use, even on MF.

Just mind the last 2-3 cm of close focus, the MF gets suddenly very very long to focus and AF speed also take a super dip in speed.

I tend to prefer the bokeh of the 60mm than the 56mm. Also ordered recently an m42 Hellios 44-2 56mm F2.

It arrived last night so the only images I was able to get was in my office. I did notice the excessively long (many, many revolutions) of the focus ring to get the right focus in manual mode as I moved closer to the subject. That felt a bit strange, but nothing to complain about unless one needs to acquire focus pretty quickly in manual mode. Good luck with the Helios.

the lens has great performance and of course the image rendering at full aperture ( what’s now known as “ bokeh”) is very much heightened at close distance.

The Helios is also very interesting for its swirly rendition of mostly the highlights, not so noticeable if the picture hasn’t got those. I have one too

Oh I do plan to do that, following the tracking, it should be there by the 12th of Jan.

So just a week away before I learn some MF skills for portraits. If it works well, I will bring it to a wedding event where I would be the second photographer. Trying to branch out from my regular things.

While living in Belgium, my dutch is pretty much non existent... So I was not able to tap into the neighbor country and had one shipped from Ukraine. 

It has a bit of oil on the aperture blades but the price was around 27€ including shipping.

well, that’s a fair price.

I bought my first recent one locally some time ago, that too was a copy with oil on the aperture blades ( I gather this is a common “ fault”) , for more or less the same price that you paid, but that copy I sold it in order to buy a newer multi coated version (with not as many blades but the amount of blades is irrelevant when you use this lens fully open which maximizes the swirl effect).

Most Dutchies would speak English so, no worries. In case, alongside the English, your other language is French, there are other possibilities like this classified Belgian site

Such as  http://www.2ememain.be

• 2 weeks later...

Yep got it yesterday and have been having fun with it mostly indoor. I was able to use on a small assignment for a company that wanted some pictures for their intranet.

Please allow me to thank you again for this lens, so far I am having a great time with it!

The f-stop markings are reversed for some reason but coupled with the X-T1 it is simply great to shoot.

On a more technical aspect, I have the feeling the lens is actually more than a F2 lens, my pictures are a lot brighter than they should be and the ISO isn't as high as expected.

Could be just me that is seeing things that not supposed to be. Also haven't got the chance yet to run the raw files into Lightroom yet. Planing to do it later this evening. I will post a small gallery of the pictures on Flickr.

cheers, have fun! :)

I not sure that I understand what you mean by “ reversed stop marks”.

If I am not mistaken, yours is like the one that I used to have, the 44-2 should look like this

109881d1322079953-helios-44-f2-problem-imgp4961.jpg

If it doesn’t maybe someone opened the lens to clean it or oil it and then put the ring the wrong way up?

I don’t even know if this is possible.

This is a video on how to open and service the lens.

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001Nt6tl-UY

The top is the one where you preset the aperture and then the other ring allows you to open to maximum aperture and then you close it to the value that you have chosen in the preset.

If you fail to do turn that and you have chosen 4 but then you forget to actually close it to the preset value you are shooting at maximum aperture.

As for the aperture value differing from the one of a more modern lens. I am not sure.

My experience is that the automatic exposure of a camera tends to be thrown slightly off when you use manual, adapted, lenses and it can go either way, up, or down.

cheers, have fun! :)

I not sure that I understand what you mean by “ reversed stop marks”.

If I am not mistaken, yours is like the one that I used to have, the 44-2 should look like this

109881d1322079953-helios-44-f2-problem-imgp4961.jpg

[...]

Yep, that's the one, but somehow my diaphragm ring is fully open when the red dot in on 16 and close all the way down when it goes to 2. A bit weird but I can get used to that.

The Auto ISO is indeed a bit unbalanced, I am getting some either very dark or too light shots even if the balance on the EVF was the correct one. Uploading my tests shots as I write these lines, had a few on my cats along a couple of bokeh one and took it out for a bit of fun and took it for that small assignment. I got an agreement to display one picture as long as we can not recognize the place.

Anyway, the album is here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskpj4iRm

A couple of highlights:

23752161184_17675953c2.jpg

Really like the bokeh on that lens, it's quite pleasing.

23753554643_b9bf76ceb3.jpg

Subject isolation works very well too.

24084788630_0640cfc538.jpg

Rather impressive sharpness, focus was on the left eye.

I am not sure why this behavior but I am thinking that it might have to do with the aperture not reaching the correct preset value ( but then again, if you always shoot fully open and you preset your preset at f2 the second ring shouldn’t move anyway).

Anyway well done. Enjoy.

Ok a few examples to make comparisons the balcony balustrade is harp the left side, on the lichens patch, closest to the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Helios 58mm + lens turbo

takumar 100

second  58mm

60mm still ( notice the specs of something on the table!)

well, mine is the 100 f4 but the 50 is also nice these were almost forgotten lenses until everyone started looking for them since the explosion of the adapters with the mirrorless cameras making adaptive photography a whole lot easier

The full list of what I am hunting at the moment:

Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 24mm f/2.8
Super Takumar 105mm F2.8
Super Takumar Macro 50mm F4