• Similar Content

• I use a USB 4 NVME enclosure with a Samsung 2TB SSD, but I just about always, but not completely, use it connected to a desktop computer. The SSD itself is faster than the USB or Thunderbolt ports can transfer data, this is true for just about any NVME SSD, but that is not a problem, the data is moved back and forth as fast as the computer can handle it, later I can give you some more concrete ideas but roughly turn several hundred X-T30 full raw files into FITS format and process them as fast as you please. I use a handful of SDHC, etc. cards out in the field, it is easier than worrying about connecting cables and stuff in a hurry. The T9 and other 10GB enclosures should be pretty good, those are no slouches at handling data.
    • 🤭 🤣 That one ranks up there with your saying from long ago: “Read The Fuji Manual”.
    • You are welcome, @BIGOAK, sir. We have just scratched the surface here, there is a lot more to it. 
    • The 16” M2 Pro 16/512 is a little over 2K € NOS here in Slovakia incl. 20% VAT which gets refunded of course if you buy as a company.   When you mention the enclosures, @jerryy, for 40MPix files perhaps the 10Gbps enclosures are better because they are plenty fast IMHO and they spend less power (about 200mA as opposed to 500mA for the 40Gbps ones, for the ones I have measured), so when you run on battery that makes a difference. Fewer charging cycles, longer battery lifespan. Maybe they are plenty fast for 100Mpix files too, perhaps someone can chime in with their experience.  But talking about the 10Gbps ones, you may just as welľ buy a Samsung T9 which will be equally fast and maybe even cheaper, depending on what NVMe drives you happen to have at hand.  Also, you could connect the drive to a hub with its own power supply, but they usually charge the computer full time through the Thunderbolt port so if you are a purist and want to cycle your battery kindly, somewhere between 20-80% to prolong its life expectancy, the hub will disrupt your strategy. 😁  But do not despair, Acasis makes an eclosure/minihub which takes external power from an USB charger but does not charge the laptop so you can charge that extra to your heart´s content. Maybe automate that through a smart plug based on battery level events. 😁   A beautiful world we have, don’t we. Computers are great, they help us solve problems we didn’t have without them. 
    • Yup, computers beyond the “get you in the door entry level” are expensive. It is even worse for the computers game-players use, believe it or not. The entry level disposable ones that are limited in what you can use them for beyond reading email and watching videos go on sale every other day though. Right now, the time of this posting, you can get the 14 inch MacBook Pro M3 - 24GB ram - 512GB SSD for US $1999 directly from Apple or maybe a little less from one of the resellers, guessing you are close to where $US have meaning. The USB-4 or Thunderbolt 4 NVME enclosure @George_P mentions is a very good add-on. You can put a pretty large SSD in them, and use that as your main storage.