Newbie Canon to Fuji

geejays

Hi there,

Just joined the Forum and will be interested to see how it goes. I p/x'd some of my canon gear for an X-Pro2 about a year ago and am very pleased with it. Then bought an XT2 with grip and a couple of long zooms. Generally very pleased with the change of gear which mostly matches my change of photographic interest. The size and picture quality certainly outweigh the couple of issues I have found in still trying to shoot nature/ wildlife. I am however adjusting my shooting style and am getting used to the change in functionality. Once the faults in my gear have been sorted under warranty I will be fully back in action. Just wish the support was a bit more switched on. Cannot compare with Canon on this front with personal experience however, but a friend had awful issues getting problems on his new Canon sorted out. Hopefully Fuji are better.

I accept problems with new items of any sort but what makes for a good manufacturer to my mind is the quality of their support when problems arise. I look forward to a successful outcome with my faulty Fuji gear.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I made a similar jump just a handful of months ago -- from Canon 6D to the X-T2. The Canon was fine enough - good image quality in a solidly built frame, but I found that I would rarely grab it due to size and the weight of the brick-ish L lenses I bought in a rush of neophyte enthusiasm. The X-T2 is such a lovely and inviting little creation I find that I always want to reach for it. My only gripe is that I underestimated just how much more battery power the EVF was going to use compared to a dslr's OVF. But, as you say, there's always something.

Hello geejays and F_J_Woods,

I am a newbie here and have the X-T2. I have been shooting with the Canon 1Dx Mark II. I am very impressed with the image quality of the X-T2. I also noticed the battery life can be a problem. I have 9 batteries because I like to do winter photography. I am worried about the batteries and extreme cold. The thing that is keeping me from making a full commitment to Fuji is that I have had very little success in shooting birds in flight. I have the Fuji 100-400 lens, 1.4 extender and the power grip. I think I need someone to help me setup the menu properly. Do any of you have the info I need or could you direct me to a place that can help. All I have seen is setting  up for car races or tennis. Nothing with wildlife or birds in particular.

Hello geejays and F_J_Woods,

I am a newbie here and have the X-T2. I have been shooting with the Canon 1Dx Mark II. I am very impressed with the image quality of the X-T2. I also noticed the battery life can be a problem. I have 9 batteries because I like to do winter photography. I am worried about the batteries and extreme cold. The thing that is keeping me from making a full commitment to Fuji is that I have had very little success in shooting birds in flight. I have the Fuji 100-400 lens, 1.4 extender and the power grip. I think I need someone to help me setup the menu properly. Do any of you have the info I need or could you direct me to a place that can help. All I have seen is setting  up for car races or tennis. Nothing with wildlife or birds in particular.

Welcome!

I cannot speak to the X-T2's performance in low temperatures. I am originally from Southern California and get chill blains when temps fall below 50 Fahrenheit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Fuji lovers. Joined this forum 2 days ago after reading/watching for last 2 months after I got my X-T20 with 18-55 mm XF lens. Up to that point I had been using Nikon D7100. Yesterday I finally traded my entire Nikon equipment :-)

Needless to say that I am very happy w/ the simplicity of Fuji menu and wonderful quality of the images. Gave my Fuji a great test run by photographing Colorado mountains last month. I specially like the quality of JPEG images, SOOC, since I gave up on the complexity of RAW shooting and Lightroom. 

I hope to keep learning from this forum.

Thank you

Hello Fuji lovers. Joined this forum 2 days ago after reading/watching for last 2 months after I got my X-T20 with 18-55 mm XF lens. Up to that point I had been using Nikon D7100. Yesterday I finally traded my entire Nikon equipment :-)

Needless to say that I am very happy w/ the simplicity of Fuji menu and wonderful quality of the images. Gave my Fuji a great test run by photographing Colorado mountains last month. I specially like the quality of JPEG images, SOOC, since I gave up on the complexity of RAW shooting and Lightroom. 

I hope to keep learning from this forum.

Thank you

Yes welcome, I just sold my Leica M system and have the X-T2 and GFX50S, Fuji are really producing lovely gear the results speak for themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

I too am having issues with moving wildlife. I got to the stage with my Canon gear where I could nail good bird in flight shots. Having difficulty replicating that with Fuji. I also feel I need to get my custom settings better adjusted. I am now photographing more butterflies and dragonflies and really miss the close focus of my Canon 100-400. The Fuji 100-400 doesn't focus nearly so close. I don't use a tube as I walk with my gear and like to be ready to shoot birds as well. Starting to find the 50-140 with extender is better (lighter as well). Will be interested to try the new 80 Macro with extender. 

In the end the customer service on my XT-2 and grip was superb. I had a contact person who called me and who I could email directly and get updates and progress reports and was able to work with him. They even updated the firmware whilst they had the camera (I did wonder if it had a 'fix' in it).

Now starting to experiment on portraits using a variety of old manual focus lenses and considering something like a 135 or 200 prime for my outdoor photography. I started with manual focus years ago and with focus peaking my hit rate is rapidly improving.

All new tools take a while to learn. It was the same with my Long Canon lenses when I first bought them. Long wildlife lenses are precision tools and each camera/ lens combination behaves differently. I have obtained some shots I am really pleased with on my Fuji. I am seriously considering The 200mm when it comes out. If it focusses close enough it could suit me very well.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently (2 weeks ago) purchased the 55-200 mm lens. The results, as I can see are very sharp. Used it last week at the Everglades in Florida and I found that 200 mm is not long enough for photographing birds or alligators. Unfortunately Fuji does not offer an extension tube for this lens. Wonder why?

The next zoom lens, 100-400 mm is very pricey,  >$1700 and also bulky which defeats the whole purpose of mirror less system like Fuji. Any suggestions or alternatives will be appreciated. Thank you.