X-T2 going to Alaska with a +1

trivan

I'll be going on an Alaska Cruise with an X-T2 (recently acquired) and a Nikon D500. 

My thinking, since I had the lens already, the D500 will be my long lens kit with Tamron G2 versions of the 70-200 and 150-600.   The X-T2 will be for indoor shots, people photos, and landscape.  D500 when I need the reach.

I've been using the X-T2 with the 35mm 1.4 and the 18-55mm lens.  I think these 2 cameras are great together as I still find focusing on the D500 much faster (might be user error) so not looking to add additional reach on the Fuji just yet.  I actually like not having to switch lens and don't mind carrying 2 cameras.

So my gear will be:

Fuji 35mm

Fuji 18-55

Nikon 70-200

Nikon 150-600

I'm trying to decide if adding a 16mm or 23mm would be beneficial or will the 18-55 be good enough.  Buy the 16 or 23 and leave the 35 home?

The 16 and 23 are basically covered by the 18-55 (granted the 16 is a fair bit wider and weather-sealed, if that could be a factor is Alaska).  How about the 14mm Fuji, offering a significantly different view and a reasonably fast aperture?

The 16 and 23 are basically covered by the 18-55 (granted the 16 is a fair bit wider and weather-sealed, if that could be a factor is Alaska).  How about the 14mm Fuji, offering a significantly different view and a reasonably fast aperture?

Thanks,  never considered a 14mm.  I'll look at some review/images.

I'd take the 16 1.4   It's a pseudo-macro for all the tiny tundra flora, and a very, very nice wide lens.  I'm heading to Anchorage next March for the Iditarod and will be packing:

X-T1 and X-T2 bodies

18-55 (my don't leave home without it lens)

16 1.4

60mm 2.4 Macro

55-200 Zoom

35 1.4

12mm Zeiss.  

I'l most likely leave my 23 1.4 at home.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• It’s not. I tried multiple lenses and it’s present in all types of photos. Here is the mark on the sensor after wet cleaning. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Looks like mark on the menu, not the sensor.
    • Hey guys,  I've cleaned my sensor multiple times and double checked it. This line shown in the photo only appears on my camera wen the aperture is f 2.8 or higher. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• I'm using my X-S10 as a webcam using the latest version of XWebcam, on an M1 Macbook pro, recently updated to Sonoma 14.4.1. I've done the additional steps to enable external cameras here (system-override legacy-camera-plugins-without-sw-camera-indication=off) and have downloaded the latest version of XWebcam with the additional extension to enable my mac to connect to the XS-10 which it does successfully now, albeit inconsistently and with crashes. I've noticed that the 'com.fujifilm.xwebcam.CameraExtension' will sometimes hang and cause the camera to not be found and will need to be rebooted in order for my applications to find my camera again. Additionally, after successfully using xwebcam for a teams call, the memory footprint of the com.fujifilm.xwebcam.CameraExtension process blows up to 9GB which seems absurd. Looking for any guidance or updates to the camera extension for making this actually work in a usable way.
    • For the first two images the light was harsh and you were using multisegment metering so the large expanse of bright sky is going to affect the exposure. And the main subject has face in shadow. Its a tough image to expose correctly. You might try one of the DR settings to help compensate when shooting jpgs.  Do you have a longer lens? Those photos might be more interesting if you could zoom in on the main subject (and it would eliminate the problems with the sky). It also looks as though you are using a fixed shutter speed of 1/250 which wasn't fast enough to freeze the arm in the second image. You are using AF-S with a large single point focus - are you making sure that your main subject is in focus ? (I would probably try AF-C with Wide/Area tracking and make sure the cameras has highlighted your subject)