Command dials appear not to work in shooting mode

Uncleants

Just traded in my Lumix GH5 for an X-T5 (Firmware 2.02) with 18-60mm kit lens and am struggling with the customisation. In particular both front and rear command dials appear to do nothing when rotated in any shooting mode (the rear dial operates fine in menu modes). For example, in shooting mode 'P' (all dials set to Auto) I understand that rotating the rear dial should change aperture/shutter speed combo but this does not happen )I had managed to change the 'press' action on the rear dial to bring up Focus Area and then rotating the dial functions fine).

Similarly, I understand that pressing the front dial is meant to cycle through Aperture, Exposure comp, ISO, but nothing happens when I press the button or rotate it in any shooting mode. 

Maybe I just don't understand the interplay between all the settings (I have even bought the excellent Tony Phillips guide to the X-T5 which explains so much more than the X-T5 manual) so please can anybody advise?

Thanks.

In P/auto mode you are turning off some of the command dial functions. I believe you have to turn on SS Operation in settings for the rear dial to adjust shutter speed in P/auto mode. 
For front dial to control aperture change aperture ring setting in button/dial settings menu to command.  This can vary depending on if lens has an aperture ring or not. For exposure comp or ISO those dials need to be set to C (command).  If multiple are available then push to toggle is enabled.  

Thanks for this, Abmet. I have since discovered that if you turn DR (dynamic range) to Auto then you can't use the rear dial to change programs when in P mode. Go figure! Anyway, I have now set DR to 100% (i.e. 'normal') and now the rear dial works. My goodness me, this is one complicated piece of kit!!