Very disappointed with X-Pro and battery life (and low battery notification)

I have noticed now many times, that my X-Pro2 goes from 3/4 to 0 in a matter of seconds.  When looking at the battery life (with the screen where you get a numerical percentage) the battery will show around 65% to 60%, then in the next few seconds, the camera is totally dead.  

These are new Fuji Brand batteries.  Sure I know to carry a lot of spares but to me it seems Fuji totally missed the boat with the battery intelligence on the X-Pro2.  

My X-T1 will get down to a red 1/4 before it dies, and the scale of the battery life seems much more realistic.  

Just curious if others are seeing this steep drop off from around 60% to 0, almost instantaneously.  

Note, I have not upgraded to 1.2 of the firmware yet, but I don't see any notes on improved battery life intelligence. 

Paul C 

Hi Paul, I experienced similar although not as bad when my batteries were new. Mine performed "half lives". :lol: After about 5 - 10 recharges, it is now much better.

Sometimes, batteries do give problems. It is very rare. I'd suggest you get a return if yours don't improve over time. May be worth to upgrade firmware too.

I do not experience those things. I use OEM and Wasabi batts. Power Management is set to STANDARD. I chimp a little. Sometimes I turn off LCD completely.

I turn off a cam, when I don't shoot. Use Back Focus bottom with fine tuning manually. I get ca. 300 shots per charge.

I do not use zooms. Zoom eats battery faster.

im getting close to what my xe1\2 provide battery wise .... some chimping ....you know the drill  ...super low battery life is indicative of a weird setting  i havnt experenced   or a defective battery  or worst case   ....camera ..

...im loving the x pro ....but slowly getting used to the iso dial ... i wish i could set the top plate fn button to activate with a dial but apparently cant .....my muscle memory of years of xe1 and 2  are hard to shake

In comparison to most of its competitors, Fuji does rather well. I did a survey of contemporary mirrorless cameras and the results are

• Sony Alpha 7R II - 290
  • Olympus PEN-F - 330
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 - 330
  • Fujifilm X-Pro2 - 350
  • Sony Alpha a6300 - 400

Small cameras with small batteries and limited lifespans. However, it takes only a few seconds to change a battery. Remember film? it took a couple of minutes to change a roll of film and you only got 12-36 shots.

Small cameras with small batteries and limited lifespans. However, it takes only a few seconds to change a battery. Remember film? it took a couple of minutes to change a roll of film and you only got 12-36 shots.

Heh, my T70 rewound film very fast... and it was economic too, because of the partly automated loading procedure I was often able to get two or three extra exposures per roll. Aaah, memories.

However, this is about batteries. So far, I've never needed more than three batteries, and they are small. I just put them in a pocket and forget about them until I need to swap.

And of course the battery life depends on the way you shoot. Usually, I'm able to get ~300 shots out of one battery. If I'm after fast moving animals like birds, squirrels, hare etc., I tend to overshoot (CH + AF-C until the buffer is full)), and that way I've got more than 800 shots out of one battery on several occasions.

When I'm out for landscape- or astrophotography, I tend to use the screen a lot, and compose more carefully. In daylight, the screen brightness needs to be increased. At night, the exposures themselves take longer. All this eats up batteries. But again, I don't think that carrying two spares is unacceptable. If it is unbearable somehow, a battery grip or a different camera should be considered.

About the zoom-thingie mentioned earlier: When setting the OIS to mode 2 the energy consumption is not that bad. At least I don't see a noticeable difference between the 18-55 and the 27.

WITH NR ON YOU CAN TAKE ONLY 80 PHOTOS WITH FULL BATTERY, FUJI SOLD US X PRO2 FOR JUST POINT AND SHOOT TYPE OF SITUATION WHICH YOU CAN DO THIS VERY CHEAP ONES. 

VERY ANGRY...

Wow....how long do you take to compose one shot?

No one can compare with my bro. He can take an hour to compose one shot....... He complains that the battery for his D7000 doesn't take enough shots! :lol:

Unless Fujifilm makes the XPro2 and it's battery bigger, or the chipset companies make more power efficient electronics, I'm afraid we're all victims of limitations of technology or plain physics.

I don't think there's much returns in making batteries with lower capacity as a marketing strategy.

Wow....how long do you take to compose one shot?

No one can compare with my bro. He can take an hour to compose one shot....... He complains that the battery for his D7000 doesn't take enough shots! :lol:

How long!! )))) max 4 min avarage 2 min. I had to use NR on because of millions of hot pixels.

In comparison to most of its competitors, Fuji does rather well. I did a survey of contemporary mirrorless cameras and the results are

• Sony Alpha 7R II - 290
  • Olympus PEN-F - 330
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 - 330
  • Fujifilm X-Pro2 - 350
  • Sony Alpha a6300 - 400

Sorry. I used Sony a7r2 battery way better than Fuji x pro2

I too, as Larry Bloch, don’t understand the yearning for more electricity even if you could only shoot 250 images with one battery.

It takes no time to change a battery.

Batteries are cheap and you can have a number in your bag . I have 3 on the X-T1 and never ever used all of 3 in a single shooting session but I don’t shoot in continuous mode either because I hate sifting trough a million of the same pictures afterwards.

At the time when as a young man I briefly worked for a press agency they gave us a roll ( actually we had to load our own to save money from a 60 meter roll) and we had to make do, I learned back then to shot less and think more.

However apparently Fuji is working on batteries with increased capacity, this maybe serves a real purpose to the film maker (and we are led to believe that there is improvement coming that direction but I don’t film so I wouldn’t affect me) but I don’t see why would anyone not have the time to change the battery when needed. Yes, it would be nice to have an earlier warning.

Looking at the posting history of a new member dissing a camera is always interesting, since throughout the 8 posts, to date, all that was ever written were things against the X pro 2.

What’s the point?

I for one am not in the market for that camera because I am happy with X-T1 and X-E2, but if I were disappointed with a new camera (and especially if I owned another one that I like better) I would take my losses and sell it and be over and done with it rather that arguing, in upper or lower case style, my case against the fact that the camera is what it is. The X pro 2 won’t change because you complain about it!?

You like it, you keep it, you don’t like it, you don’t.

As simple as that!

Smell a troll here.

Why on earth buy a XPro2 when you got Sony A7R2 ??

Did you register just to bash here ?

Sent from my Nexus 6 mobile

I sold my a7r2 for different reason. Sometimes people do this troll hunter))))) www.500px.com/serhatalkan look this. If it is not enough for you let me know.

How long!! )))) max 4 min avarage 2 min. I had to use NR on because of millions of hot pixels.

It could point to the "heating" problem some users are facing too. That could be the reason for noise during long exposure.....

I haven't taken anything longer than 1 1/2 minutes on XPor1/2. I usually keep exposure down to shortest possible timing. I've gone 4 mins + on my 5D3, OMD-EM1, A7R and notice color change/degradation. I'm not sure how others have gotten such great results on long exposure more than 2 mins.

It is not a color changes. I have thousands of white point. Especially on shadow area.

Actually Fuji changed my x pro2. But I still have problem. I love Fuji color and lenses. I hope they will fix on XT2.

Sounds like the XT2 is for you then. XT1 has been reported to fare better on long exposure.

I've recently been photographing a tango based stage show and have got 2000-3000 shots at each show using just two batteries. I changed the battery at the interval as a precaution but was never concerned each battery would not last the act;unlike the 32Gb memory cards - thank Fuji for two card slots!

I was doing a mix of single shot and 8FPS shots, mainly optical view finder but using EVF when I needed to see the whole width of the stage. I had the LCD switched off. I was using the 50-140mm with stabilisation on. Did very little chimping as I had to keep up with the pace of the show, just the occasional review to ensure I was getting usable images. 

Although the battery falls of the cliff with little warning, but, as I have been using Fuji X cameras since the first X100, I do not find it a hardship to have a few spare batteries in my pocket/bag; they are relatively cheap compared to my ex 5DmkIII's batteries. I've not missed a shot yet due to a depleted battery.

to the issue of battery ....... the small black lithium  power supply , [not the criminal offence  of  unlawful offensive physical contact with another person]... surly we are the spoiled moderns .   back in the film era, if you wanted the luxury of 250 uninterrupted shots  you got an exotic  back and spooled your own film into it ... an expensive cumbersome proposition... but a godsend for those pros who really needed it 

today 250 shots between battery changes  is considered poor ... and the reason why is simple....most  dslrs are supplied with batteries at least 50 percent stronger storage while most mirrorless are suplied with weaker smaller batteries   the claim that smallness is the culprit doesn't cut it  .... this is the real issue

I've recently been photographing a tango based stage show and have got 2000-3000 shots at each show using just two batteries.

!!?? What camera?

I just did an outdoor shoot with the X-Pro2. I had the camera set to high performance mode and EVF. Here and there I take a quick look at a shot I took, but for the most part, I just shoot. 2 full batteries (both new Fuji brand) managed just under 400 shots.