Problem with "New to Me" XF 80mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro

gussie

I just received my "new to me" XF 80mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro that I bought off eBay for around $800US. The seller was pretty reputable and the communication during the sale (and post-sale) has been excellent.

I just unboxed the item, which arrived undamaged and well-packed. The lens came in it's original box, which was also like new, and with all the appropriate materials (lens caps, pouch, etc) - and even included an UV filter.

So, I inspect the lens before I attached it to my XT-3. Right away I noticed that something seems 'loose'. When I move the lens back and forth laterally, whatever seems loose moves with the motion. It is NOT a slight movement, in fact it's rather 'clunky'. So, I attached the lens to the XT-3, and noticed that when I switch the camera on, the movement stabilizes - no more internal movements. The lens is quiet! I took a few shots with it, the lens works perfectly fine.

But when I turn the camera back off, the motion/movement returns. Is this normal, or should I be considering a return???

Any help appreciated! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 8:13 PM, RangeRoamer said:

This is a known fact about the XF 80mm.  You will notice that as soon as you power on the camera, the clinking stops.

Yes, same here, mine does this and it works fine. I think there is a lot moving around in there to autofocus a big lens over such a big range.

• 5 months later...