Fujifilm XT-1 settings

Light

How you set up your X-T1 will be dependent upon what you shoot (street vs. landscape vs. wildlife, etc.), under what conditions (good light, poor light, etc.) and how (handheld, tripod).

One of the benefits of the X-T1 is that the significant shooting parameters (aperture, shutter, and ISO) are accessible by lens and/or dial without requiring diving into the menus. 

Spend some time learning the different film simulations and adjustments to find what works for you based on your shooting style.

Garrett

If are a starter in Photography, just leave everything to the camera for the time being, it will take much better decision that you would be capable off at the beginning.

Once you get more familiar with the camera; start trying out different settings, like ISO dial, what happens if you change it ? What about that Aperture ring on the lens ? And speed ? What does it effect ?

Take it slow and don't be afraid to search for some tutorials about the different settings.

If you are a pro-summer, chances are you already know what you like and how you like it, shoot a day with each film simulation and makes the changes as you see fit to your taste. The X-T1 is really great for that, you can really make it to behave the way you want it.

As an experienced X-Pro user, I recently added an X-T1.  The ability to customize was overwhelming.

The first thing I did was shut all the programmable buttons off.  Then i would use the camera.  As I needed an option more than a few times, I'd assign it to a button.  As I went along, options that I accessed more often would be assigned to buttons that were easier to reach.  With in a few days, I had all the options I used assigned to buttons.

And half my programmable buttons still have nothing assigned to them.