Just received Nissin i60A

Very interesting. it is finally here. Does it do TTL on XT-2?

Yes, it does. And I must say it works very well.

BTW - while using EF-X20 I discovered that when using the lens which does not communicate to the body and flash on cable, there is no TTL metering. In the same setup i60A with Air 1 definitely does TTL. The leaf photo on my page was shot in TTL mode, while older shots, done with EF-X20, required manual power setting.

Again - not too much time, but I couldn't resist and did one more test of Nissin Air 1 + Nissin i60A + X-T2 in pure TTL: http://eng.roguski.eu/2016/11/25/i60a-air-1-it-really-works/

BTW - please note that the second shot was taken with X-Pro2 at ISO3200 - not so bad for crop sensor :-) If I had any doubts after selling my full frame Nikon D810, I have less of them after each day of Fujifilm X-Pro2 / X-T2 use :-)

@Fujifilm: good job guys, but please, please - give me 180 - 200 real macro lens to allow me dumping the Nikkor I still have been using. You will NOT get my money for 80mm macro - as you did NOT get my money for EF-X500 :-)

Love the shot. Great job! And thank you for the setup shot as well. 

You probably don't need HSS for this work though. My main work is portraits and I miss flawless Nikon system including HSS terribly.

You are right - I don't use HSS at all. Having Nikon, I took maybe two, maybe three shots, when HSS was introduced in Nikon speedlight for the first time - just to see how it works.

Yes, Nikon flash technology is superior to any other, but what I really need is two things: TTL metering and radio control. I was really tired looking for working optical wireless setup in my macro shots (but not only macro). So initially I was very excited hearing that Nikon would introduce radio wireless control. But imagine what was my disappointment when it became clear that in order to use radio wireless control I need either D5 or D500 and WR-10 AND there is no way to use it with my D810 even if I have WR-10? And more - having WR-10, I need to send it to Nikon service for firmware update, when all previous firmware updates I was able to do at home!

Congratulations, Nikon, you did a great job killing my over 20-year interest in your offering!

Let me make it clear - flash itself was NOT the reason to switch from Nikon to Fujifilm as I still could buy Nissin solution for Nikon. The main reasons for switch were (from the most important to the least important):

1. lack of DX telephoto lenses
  2. lack of serious mirrorless system
  3. Fuji X-T1 IR

If Nikon introduced "mirrorless D500" (or even "mirrorless D7200"), 200-500 f/5,6 DX (or 200-400 f/4 DX) and AF-S to "mirrorless D500/D7200" lens converter, I would stay with Nikon forever (using Nissin flash for Nikon), as I had lots of Nikon gear. Even despite the fact that Nikon has no IR version of any body like Fuji has X-T1 IR, which I like so much! Today, even if Nikon would do everything I need, they would have to compete for my money as any other manufacturer except of Fujifilm, because I have no Nikon gear any more (except of AF Micro Nikkor 200mm f/4) and have quite nice Fuji set already.

Kubul,

Very interesting discussion. I personally never saw anything special in radio controlled SB-500s. I have 4 SB-900, I used to have FlexTT5 and AC3 zone controller and it worked amazingly well and it would of work on D810. If you want to control radio strobes you would need another SB-500 as a commander thats all. I think it would be even cheaper than WR-10 but I could be wrong.

Either way I've tried them all - optical, radio, Qflash, FlashWaveIII, radiopoppers, PocketWizards. I have converted gun case with foam into on the go portable flash station - my current one consists of 4x SB-900, Nissin i40, Nissin i60A and am expecting Nissin Air 1 to arrive in a few days. 

And just a little short while ago a brown truck brought in EF-X500. Apart from exuberant price - my initial impression is: amazingly it does not feel too big on XT-2 with grip attached. It feels just right. Quality build, despite being built in China and not Japan as one would expect, is top notch. It is definitely on par if not better than Nikon SB-900. Layout and menus are self explanatory and I did not need to open the manual.

And now the best part - TTL and HSS. Finally! :)

It seems like your set is several times bigger than what I need :-)

Regarding WR-10 vs SB-5000: you need WR-A10 and WR-R10 - in total 156 EUR. On the other hand SB-5000 is 535 EUR. As I need just one flash, buying second one just to make it working as wireless transmitter would be a bad idea. Especially taking into consideration that I already had WR-A10 and WR-R10. But to make use of it I would have to buy... D500 or D5, as these are the only cameras supporting currently radio flash control with SB-5000. I don't need any of them. So probably I would buy one of the solutions you mentioned. But due to other issues I have described earlier, in the meantime I switched from Nikon to Fuji. And I found Nissin, doing exactly what I need and being affordable, especially in comparison with EF-X500. Sure - my flash needs are very basic. Many people need much more, like HSS for instance, what is not available yet with Nissin for Fuji.

It's interesting the lack of DX lenses is something I was trying to explain to a work colleague who'd just brought D5500 used and was trying to buy lenses for his holiday and first ever "proper" camera.  

Ya ... had a lesson with a student recently and she said everyone told her to get a 50mm because it is so great.  She said she never uses it and regrets buying it.  I told her I had a similar experience when I had a crop sensor body and the 50mm full frame lens.  I said it isn't working like a 50mm, it is working like a 75mm+ on her Canon Rebel.  She said 'what? .. I don't understand'.  When we were done she understood the difference in focal length results versus the numbers imprinted on the lens.  I explained I use my 35/1.4 all the time and when I shot full frame I used my 50/1.4 all the time.  But when I was shooting older Nikon crop sensor, I rarely used my 50/1.4 because I had this lens for primarily indoor use and the resulting focal length was too long.  The option wasn't there for me.

Having a crop sensor platform that gives the same focal length + max aperture + weather resistant results as full frame is a big perk many overlook.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

Ha ha my colleague was about to make the same mistake (buying a 50mm) and just so happened to be sitting there and stopped him. I was surprised though how hard it is to find decent, own brand Nikon lenses at a sensible price with sensible equivalent on DX. He was understandably so confused! All made doubly hard to explain whilst I pretended to not know much about cameras, as I'd prefer not to share my photography interests with the entire office!