Nissen i40 and x100s

One of the advantages of the x100 series is the leaf shutter. Because there is an "all open" state for any aperture (to a point) you can expect to shoot with a shutter much faster than the typical sync speed of a focal plane shutter. My experiment has the x100s in manual exposure and the flash set to manual power.  I understand that success with fast shutter speeds may require a direct wire connection between flash and camera, radio transmission having internal transmitter/receiver delays that cause the flash to fire after the shutter is open for fast shutter speeds. I verified this with a Cactus v4 system and  the Nissin i40. I had success at shutter speeds up to 1/500 s, but by 1/1000 s the flash pulse mostly occurred after the shutter closed. The flash part of the exposure dropped significantly at the faster shutter.  I duplicated behavior if I used a Canon compatible ttl cable connecting the two. Somewhere faster than 1/500 shutter the flash exposure drops significantly for apertures f/2 and f/4.   Having failed with Nissin i40 I substituted a Nikon SB 700, another smallest flash that would fit in my bag easily.  It worked at shutter speeds up to 1/4000 s for both f/2 and f/4 apertures.  My guess is that the Nissen flash has a slight internal delay that causes it the fire after the faster shutter. I attach two files, the i40 flash at 1/1000 shutter showing the flash did not illuminate the subject, and the Nikon SB 700 at 1/2000 shutter showing the illuminated subject against a dark background (outdoors).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!