Rating images in camera?

dongiovanni

Hello, is there a way to rate images in camera.. so when I import into Lightroom or Capture One they're already starred?

Long story,

The photographer I work with uses Fuji, but there are "key shots" that only he and the client knows about, images they like. 

If these images are so key I should be able to spot them in the culling process, but the photographer wants to sit down and go through the images and say this one, that one, etc. Effectively wasting my time as I'm just the retoucher, and these images I'm talking about are just party shots, corporate events, etc.

So in order to simplify the selection process, I wanted to suggest the photographer sets a rating on images that are important, by pressing a custom button it would 5 star the image. 

That way I wouldn't have to waste time, I could copy the files and deliver when I'm done.

Tldr;

Is it possible to rate images in camera and assign a custom button?

• 1 year later...

It depends on the camera and the firmware level.

Most Fuji X series cameras have had the ability to rate images in Playback mode but before firmware version 4.00 in the X-T3 the rating was stored in a Fujifilm specific area of the metadata and not visible to tools such as Lightroom.

That has changed and now the most recent cameras (and X-T3 post firmware 4.00) store the rating as XML which is much more widely accessible by viewing and editing programs.

When in Playback mode there is a shortcut to the rating screen by pressing AE-L. Its not exactly a custom button to set a specific star rating but its close.

Edited by Greybeard
typo