For my application: x-H2 or x-S20

Hello All,

I currently own an X-S10 and I am underwhelmed with the autofocus, battery life, and buffer (when shooting raw). I do, however, love the form factor, and controls.

lenses I own are (I am quite content with the coverage I have with my lenses; and do not intend on expanding)

Xf 70-300

Xf 1.4x teleconverter

Xf 18-55

Xf 90

Xf 56 (last gen)

Xf 33

Xf 16 1.4

I pretty much only shoot stills, and I do tend to use higher ISO semi frequently at family events, and in capturing family memories (never higher than 6400). Camera is mostly used for capturing family memories, portraits, family events, and wildlife, and landscape. I also love shooting abstract photography. I do not shoot professionally, however, I may consider dabbling in it in the future.

With the current X-H2 sale, there is only a 500 difference between the X-H2 and X-S20. Is there a noticeable difference in the autofocus between the two cameras (with respect to photography)? From YouTube videos that I’ve seen, I really like the smoother ISO grain from the 40 mp sensor when scaled similarly… but would I be losing anything by going to that size of a sensor vs the 26mp sensor with the improved computing hardware?

Also, in considering defraction and the more pixel dense 40mp sensor of the x-h2, would any photo taken at aperatures between f8 and f11 on any of my lenses resolve worse on the x-h2’s 40 mp sensor than it would on the x-s20’s 26mp sensor if both images were scaled the same?

with respect to buffer, I do not intend on shooting beyond 10 fps, as I am happy with this burst rate. So I don’t need ultimate speed, I’d just like reliable speed.

in other words, if were to already spend $2050 on the x-s20, given what I have shared, should I just pony up the extra 500 for the x-h2? Or is the change in performance from the x-s10 still not enough to justify purchasing this generation, which would mean waiting for the next generation.

I would be keeping the x-s10 as a backup camera and a camera to teach my daughters photography on as I can’t justify loosing so much on its used sale price given my remote location.

Thank you for your time.