compressed RAW artifacts XH2S

This problem has happened to me before, also on another production. I can't explain the reason, so I'm bringing it to your attention here. But the interesting thing is that the JPEG image is fine. I took a compressed RAW+small JPEG. Photo of the original compressed RAW+small JPEG on the link ( https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZYB9DZtmM9s4g5CHhj9PAGaVLKqzbi0qjk ). I am also attaching the link of another user with the same problem ( https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4703673 ). I used DXO Photolab 6, Affinity photo for RAW conversion, same result.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Oliver111

• Oliver111 changed the title to what it may look like RAW artifacts XH2S

capture one

now I've figured out how it works FUJIFILM X RAW Studio, you must have connected camera to computer :), this is result.

• Oliver111 changed the title to RAW artifacts XH2S

I tried the sample you posted in X Raw Studio and it gives the same problem as the other raw converter.

Can you post a link to the other raw - where X Raw Studio appears to avoid the artefacts?

Its probably a good idea to avoid shooting in compressed raw as it doesn't buy you all that much space over lossless compressed.

EDIT: I see you have now posted that you have the same problem with X Raw Studio - which is what I expected - the problem seems to be with the lossy compression algorithm that FujiFilm uses.

Edited by Greybeard

I tried to convert raw directly in fuji xh2S to tiff, this is the result

On 11/25/2023 at 5:59 PM, Greybeard said:

I tried the sample you posted in X Raw Studio and it gives the same problem as the other raw converter.

Can you post a link to the other raw - where X Raw Studio appears to avoid the artefacts?

Its probably a good idea to avoid shooting in compressed raw as it doesn't buy you all that much space over lossless compressed.

EDIT: I see you have now posted that you have the same problem with X Raw Studio - which is what I expected - the problem seems to be with the lossy compression algorithm that FujiFilm uses.

The answer to this problem is to not use compressed RAW. I see that there are 3 choices uncompressed, lossless compressed and compressed which I use

Edited by Oliver111

< Can you post a link to the other raw - where X Raw Studio appears to avoid the artefacts? >

Those artifacts apparently only appear when using < compressed raw > under certain circumstances, a lot of the photos I took that day are fine. All photos from that particular location and angle have the same problem (strong backlight).

• Oliver111 changed the title to compress RAW artifacts XH2S
9 minutes ago, Oliver111 said:

< Can you post a link to the other raw - where X Raw Studio appears to avoid the artefacts? >

Those artifacts apparently only appear when using < compressed raw > under certain circumstances, a lot of the photos I took that day are fine. All photos from that particular location and angle have the same problem (strong backlight).

My request for the other raw file overlapped your post where you noted that raw conversion always showed the problem - even using X Raw Studio.

The bottom line is that its best to avoid lossy compressed raw to be safe.

• Oliver111 changed the title to compressed RAW artifacts XH2S