XF 16-80 not holding focus at long end of the zoom range

SydneyNick

Hello All

Am posting here as I`m wanting to understand if either this is a known problem, OR, I`m going down the wrong troubleshooting hole ....

As succinctly as I can:

Lens is @3.5years old, originally on an X-T3, past 6-months on an X-T5. I generally shoot via the viewfinder, only use the rear screen on rare occasions

Have been very happy with performance, however, noticed a few months back that the lens seemed to be struggling to find focus at the longer end of the zoom range, say 65-80mm or maybe 70 onwards. It manifested itself in what I thought was a high contrast situation, and it turned up again in a recent trip overseas, again, in high(er) contrast.

I found I could overcome the issue if I changed focus from single shot, to continuous, thought it odd, and carried on.....

Till my most recent shoot, where I was in lower light, and @50% of my shots have come off the card out of focus.

SO....

What I "think" is happening is the barrel guides (?) are "worn" at the longer end, as when I have reflected on it, the out of focus shots are at the long end, AND, I was shooting down at 30-50deg angle, hence me thinking the lens barrel is creeping forward after I confirm focus...... My horizontal shots are all generally OK.

Is this an issue others here have seen? Or am I waaaay off course?

All feedback welcome

Cheers

Nick

Yes, the barrel of my 16-80 is very loose and will 'trombone' if I carry the camera with the lens pointing down. Not only that, but at the 80mm end it wobbles about by over 1mm. Strangely that doesn't  seem to affect the image quality. It is ironic that the 70-300 is fitted with a zoom lock but doesn't need it and, despite the much longer inner barrel, doesn't wobble either. It's  a bad fault with  the 16-80. On my next trip to London I intend to take the lens to the Fuji House of Photography and complain loudly about it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• The Tentacle Sync Timecode tool is the one I tried. I couldn't get it to work. But that is probably my fault, not the software. I seemed to get a file, but I couldn't turn it into anything meaningful. 
    • I am glad to read you are able to get this up and running. Pretty much as long as you connect the camera and turn it on and wait a few moments for the computer to register the connection, you can then use Image Capture (which actually is a very decent program with a lot of options for transferring images from cameras to the computer) or Lightroom or other programs to move the images to your library. There are some drawbacks; connecting to the computer while it is in sleep mode will waste your time, the connection will not get recognized— you will have to unplug the camera, wake the computer and start over. Trying to connect while the screen saver is running may work, it may not, often not. If the computer goes into screen saver mode while the camera is connected and sitting idle, it usually stays connected when coming back out of screen saver, but if the computer mputer goes into sleep mode, the connection gets dropped and you have to unplug it and start over. I suggested having the camera turned off while connecting, this is to lower the possibility of static electricity discharges frying either the camera or the computer or both. A lot of times you can connect while the camera is turned on, but not always, sometimes you have to unplug, turn it off, reconnect and turn it back on. A lot of this comes from Apple’s approaches towards keeping USB devices from hijacking your computer, some is just hubris and some is from the vagaries of chance. p.s. Your laptop should be able to connect to the camera.
    • Hi Chas, I am just fallen into the rabbit hole of investigating how to upgrade my X-T4's video sound... Loving the idea of time code sync, I am now quite concerned that the X-T4 doesn't support it, although I have already seen different statements on the net, like here:  https://youtu.be/xja27RmvbhE?si=hIch3Tu_MH_pWSBH&t=571 I have to admit, this guy's "explanation" gets quite confusing in his further discourse ...:) BUT, as you wrote that you use Tentacle Sync for Windows!, did you also try with their windows-only software "Time Code Tool" which you find here?: https://tentaclesync.com/timecode-tool   Would love to here if you found a workaround with the XT4 Best, Simon
    • It occurred sometime when I focus. It is not silent 
    • This is the video for the focusing sound. Anyone can help?🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻thanks a lot IMG_3226.mov