Fuji 16-55 mm f2.8 vs 35mm f1.4 and 16mm f2.8 and 10-24 mm f

chanta_sun

I am relatively new to the Fuji family and have picked my first camera gear as the x-t4 with the 50-140 f2.8 lens. With all the research I’ve done, I’ve come to a conclusion that the best landscape lens for me would be a 10-24. Which a used one would cost about 450$. My option for a cheap astro lens is the 16mm f2.8 which is around 250$. And the 35mm f1.4 for the portrait. Which they all together would round about 1150$. However, I have noticed that the 16-55 at a price of around 1000$ could do all of the above so I am contemplating between which pair or singular lens to get.

Well, I believe the 16-55 and 50-140 were developed to match up with each other covering a large, useful focal range.  But 16mm is not wide enough for landscape in many cases for me, and 140 is not that long.  The 10-24 really shines in the wide end.  But I am almost exclusively shooting landscapes so your mileage may vary.  Those that crave detail usually aren't happy with the 10-24.  There may also be better choices for astro but I would only be repeating what I have read.  Research is great, but you might find that your needs might be more clearly in focus (pun intended) once you start shooting with the XT4.  It certainly did for me, I started with zooms but find shooting with primes is really fun.  The great part of purchasing used lenses is that if you don't end up liking them, you can resell and only be out some shipping.  I would say the closest thing to a guarantee as lenses to suit all is the 23, 35 and 50mm F2's.  They are cheap and easy to find used, optically awesome, durable, tiny, and useful in many scenarios.  They are plenty fast enough for portraits unless you really got to have pro level bokeh, all the time.  I would recommend grabbing one of those along with your zoom of choice then going from there.