UV Filter for Fujifilm Wide Angle Lenses

gtrabant

I'm uncertain at this point at which wide angle lenses I will be buying for my newly purchased X-Pro2.  I've owned wide angle lenses in the past for my Nikon camera that required a "super thin" filter in order to prevent vignetting on the edges.  Is it necessary to have "super thin" filters for the XF10-24mm, XF16mm, or XF14mm lenses as to not create vignetting on the edges?

I'm uncertain at this point at which wide angle lenses I will be buying for my newly purchased X-Pro2.  I've owned wide angle lenses in the past for my Nikon camera that required a "super thin" filter in order to prevent vignetting on the edges.  Is it necessary to have "super thin" filters for the XF10-24mm, XF16mm, or XF14mm lenses as to not create vignetting on the edges?

I don't know about the 16mm. The 10-24 shows some vignetting on the widest angle with a normal filter. You could also use something like the Lee 100mm filter system thus having larger filters and no vignetting. Since the 14mm has a small front element comared to the filter size you won't encounter any vignetting. 

Off-topic but worth considering: if you like to use your OVF the 14mm covers the smallest portion of the frame since it's the smalles and shortest lens.

I have used the 10-24 with no ultra thin polarizer and graduated filter with no adverse vignetting. Most will never ever have any advantage from using a filter and an insurance ( some of us already have it in some form or other, so you don’t even need to buy one) is much more useful than a filter.

Fuji's lenses don't benefit from UV filters, and if you're using the lens hood, you're not gaining any protection, either. So I'd forget about UV filters altogether. However, if you were to get into other filters, like a circular polariser, you do want to stick with the thinner-framed ones for the 10-24 and 16mm. The 14mm seems to do fine with regular filters, in my experience.