40 MP x-trans: file size & lens future

AdrianoTellentano

Dear all, with the new generation 40 MP sensors I see a few problems coming for myself and I wonder whether anybody shares my concerns or has some feedback on where the XF journey will be going. Note that I'm a regular "consumer", not photographing for career, Instagram or bread on my table.

40 MP means large raw files and more detail than I effeively need. To me, 26 MP was the perfect compromise, matching the apsc format. It also seems that lenses to utilize the higher resolution are getting heftier and I always liked the overall small format: I'm shooting XE4 with the old 18/f2 and 35/f1.4.

- Will 26 MP sensors survive for the other, photo centric, camera systems?

- If not, may there be a possibility with xtrans to do resolution reduction for raw files via binning?

- Will Fuji go fully towards modern, and larger, high Res lenses and abandon their approach for small "character lenses" (eg XF 35/f1.4)?

- Does anybody else feel ambivalent about the MP increase? And don't tell me that storage is getting ever cheaper. That's another problem creating solution for a self inflicted and, in my case, in the first place unnecessary problem (i.e. stupid).

For complaint on too much sharpnes/resolution, see also this thread:

Many thanks!

A

There certainly is a lot to wonder about as autumn starts getting ready to show up. But ...

Fujifilm released a list of lenses that will work just fine with 40mp sensors -- a very long list.

https://www.fujirumors.com/list-of-fujinon-xf-lenses-that-get-maximum-benefit-from-fujifilm-x-h2-and-x-t5-with-40-megapixel-resolution/

From the article:

"Let’s be clear: more or less every single Fujifilm XF lens will perform better on the 40MP sensor. So even if an older lens can’t really resolve all the 40MP, they will still perform better than on the current 26MP sensor. Some might resolve 30MP, others 33MP, others more or less".

If you look, Fujifilm has been letting you bin the files to smaller sizes for quite a while, even in your XE4 you can do this, look under the setting for recorded pixel sizes -- in your case you can drop from 6240 x 4160 down to 2080 x 2080.

Sharpness is only one quite desirable aspect of an image, overall there are several other aspects the new sensors will give photographers, if an image is too sharp it can be softened.

I do not think Fujifilm is going to just abandon the smaller sensor based cameras, after all they sell a whole lot of the Instax line, those are not XH2(s).