XF16/1.4 flare issues

jogomu

Does anyone know if the flare issue below varies from copy to copy or is it part of the design?  Some reviewers note the issue and some do not.  This copy was rented through the Fuji rental program.  Is there any way of improving the flare characteristics with some kind of filter or can it be fixed convincingly in post?

Reference from Leica Q (not exact comparison b/c of different field of view):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

XF16/1.4 shot with flare:

I haven't noticed any issues with my copy, but I also mainly shoot landscapes with it, so I don't have a good comparison that I can remember. I have noticed that in my landscape shots, flare from the sun generally comes across fairly well and I don't have a problem turning it into an aesthetically pleasing flare (or mostly eliminating it) with just a very slight adjustment to my camera placement. 

From product description:

A Nano-GI (Gradient Index) coating has been applied to alter the refractive index between the glass and air in order to better suppress lens flare and ghosting for diagonal incident light.

An HT-EBC coating has been applied the entire surface of each element to for controlling ghosting and flare for greater image clarity.

So what is Leica doing better?

Thanks for the feedback Nero.  Perhaps this is a close focus issue?  (But close focusing is one of the selling points of this lens...)