Nissin i40 Flash AF assist light don´t work with X-T1

• 4 weeks later...

I just came to the forum to look up something just like this. 

At yesterdays wedding I had serious auto focus problems during the dancing.  Half the time the auto focus assist lamp built into the X-T1 body worked (came on) and half the time it didn't !!??   I had the iNissin mounted on the body.  I find TTL works pretty good in a smaller room with the iNissin mounted on the X-T1 and focusing fine when the lighting is OK.  But during the dark dancing there are problems.

Anyone else find this or a work around in regards to the built in auto focus assist lamp not coming on half the time?

Would be nice if the i40 lamp worked with the X-T1.

Under AUTOFOCUS SETTINGS, with AF ILLUMINATOR set to ON...  my onboard lamp only comes on when darkness is below a certain level.  It seems that the camera decides.

p.25 shows...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just came to the forum to look up something just like this. 

At yesterdays wedding I had serious auto focus problems during the dancing.  Half the time the auto focus assist lamp built into the X-T1 body worked (came on) and half the time it didn't !!??   I had the iNissin mounted on the body.  I find TTL works pretty good in a smaller room with the iNissin mounted on the X-T1 and focusing fine when the lighting is OK.  But during the dark dancing there are problems.

Anyone else find this or a work around in regards to the built in auto focus assist lamp not coming on half the time?

Which lens used?

And sorry to say so, but if I was the groom and the photographer used the AF assist lamp on me, I'd kick his butt out right after the dance. That's a no-go.

That being said, I find the AF on the 16, 23, 35, 90 and 16-55 2.8 to work brilliantly for wedding dances. My main combination is X-T1 with 16-55 2.8 and Nissin i40 on the left side and X-T1 with 35 1.4 on the right side (using a Holdfast Money Maker).

Also, I don't use ttl or direct flash. Usually the ceiling can serve as a reflector so I just flash straight up.

My problem was I was shooting exactly the same scene over several seconds. Half the time the light did not come on, half the time it did. It was very annoying and inconsistent during the dancing and my testing at the event when I was taking a break.

I don't know if it's the same with the i40, but with the kit flash, I believe the AF doesn't kick in until the flash has recycled. I could be wrong, though.

That's probably my #1 gripe with the Fuji system. I wish there was a flash that worked with Fujis and used the red AF assist beam. Those are fast and discreet. If the i40 had it, it would be perfect for me.

I usually do the dancing with my wide angle 10-24/F4

The venue I was at this past Sat was a bit darker than others, so I really noticed the cameras repeated failing to autofocus.  It would either show the AF! icon or it would focus but not correctly.  My past experience was very highly successful autofocus on my Nikon full frame with the red IR autofocus assist on the flash.  So it felt like I went from one extreme to another this past Sat and felt this is the wrong setup for dark dances.

Which lens used?

And sorry to say so, but if I was the groom and the photographer used the AF assist lamp on me, I'd kick his butt out right after the dance. That's a no-go.

That being said, I find the AF on the 16, 23, 35, 90 and 16-55 2.8 to work brilliantly for wedding dances. My main combination is X-T1 with 16-55 2.8 and Nissin i40 on the left side and X-T1 with 35 1.4 on the right side (using a Holdfast Money Maker).

Also, I don't use ttl or direct flash. Usually the ceiling can serve as a reflector so I just flash straight up.

Trying to use the Fuji like it's a DSLR, to me, is a mistake people often make. It's a whole different system, so I need to relearn to shoot every situation I come across. I don't know whether a f/4 zoom is well suited as you're cutting ambient light and flash power. This is why I primarily use f/1.4/1.2 lenses and the 2.8 zoom with flash.

With your 3-lens-setup you're missing a large aperture wide angle. May I suggest looking at the 16 1.4 for this purpose? For dancing portraits the 35 1.4 works a treat since firmware 4.0.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi there, sorry tot drag up this old post but maybe better than starting a new one on the same subject.

Can anyone confirm that the AF Assist light on the Nissin flash still doesn't work with Fuji camera's? X-T1, X100t, X-pro2? Your answers will be appreciated :-D

Hi there, sorry tot drag up this old post but maybe better than starting a new one on the same subject.

Can anyone confirm that the AF Assist light on the Nissin flash still doesn't work with Fuji camera's? X-T1, X100t, X-pro2? Your answers will be appreciated :-D

It does not, the notice on the Nissin i40 clearly states so too.

• 4 years later...
On 4/20/2016 at 11:28 AM, eW0ud said:

The AF assist light on the Nissin i40 still doesn’t work. I’m using the xt4.