x100s massively underexposing images. Faulty?

Hey guys,

New to the forum and new to Fuji cameras, but I'm looking for some advice.

I just bought a used Fujifilm x100s but am having nothing but trouble with it.

Before I get into the details of the issue, I just want to stress that I'm not a camera expert, but I'm not a complete noob either, and am comfortable shooting in manual and regularly do so using my Nikon DSLRs.

The problem I've got that is that the knowledge and understanding I've developed from using my Nikons doesn't seem to be transferable to this x100s. As you'll all know, the more you use a camera the more you develop a feel for what combination of ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed to use in any given situation. I bought the x100s because I'd read it was excellent in low light conditions and easy to use. Well I'm finding neither of those things to be true.

Almost every photo I take is massively underexposed. If I change everything to AUTO then it's over exposed. The only time I seem to be able to get a reasonably-exposed image is by using an ISO settings of around 1600 which is way higher than I've ever had to use before. 

If you look at the following image you will see a demonstration of what I'm talking about:

comparison.jpg

This was taken this morning in my office in daylight. The top image is from my Nikon and the bottom my Fuji. I used ISO 500, F4 and 1/160th of a second on both cameras. ND is off (I made this mistake first but soon realised). Exposure compensation is set to 0 but irrelevant when shooting in manual and white balance set to auto. I appreciate that cameras have different tolerances and standards but I would expect the same settings on 2 cameras to produce relatively similar images. But my two are night and day.

So, is this camera faulty or am I missing something? It is a used one and the person I bought it from is a camera reseller so has no personal experience with this particular unit.

Thanks in advance for your patience and advice.

No filters set on the x100. Film type set to standard, all other settings zeroed or disabled. It just seems really inconsistent. Images are either massive under exposed or over exposed. I've just been for a walk in the woods at mid day and had to set the ISO to 800/1000 before I managed to get an image anywhere close to being adequately exposed, which seems ridiculous to me. I'm used to ISO 200 or 400 at the most in these conditions.

No filters set on the x100. Film type set to standard, all other settings zeroed or disabled. It just seems really inconsistent. Images are either massive under exposed or over exposed. I've just been for a walk in the woods at mid day and had to set the ISO to 800/1000 before I managed to get an image anywhere close to being adequately exposed, which seems ridiculous to me. I'm used to ISO 200 or 400 at the most in these conditions.

Try to assign the ND filter to one of the function button and then see through the lens as you turn it on and off. If nothing moves between that time then the ND filter would be permanently on due to a faulty motor, which can help explain this case, if not I don't think remote diagnostics like this can help you, you need to send it back to fuji either way

Sent from my K016 using Tapatalk

You have your camera set to spot metering. Unless you want to meter a very small proportion of your image I suggest you set the camera to matrix or average. You will then get a more consistent metering of the whole scene rather than the whole scene being metered dependent on a 2% square in the centre.

Your camera seems to be in spot metering mode. In my experience, the automatic settings work best with metering set to either multi-metering or average.

In most situations in daylight with these metering options, the images should be properly exposed when you have aperture set to 5.6, shutter speed and ISO on auto. 

Edited by Florian

Yes, the camera is in spot metering. And the spot is metering the black lens so that would mean that the rest of the photo should be overexposed instead of underexposed...

...and it would be overexposed if you chose not to override the metering and deliberately manually underexpose by 2 full stops (according to the meter indicator). You'd be better off taking a picture of the lens in matrix or average and using the EC dial to fine tune the image to how you see it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This. Exposure comp is most definitely set to -2.

30993738260_e84263e9f7_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-12-01 at 6.37.40 PM by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

Must point out that as the OP is shooting in Manual that in this case this isn't actually the exposure compensation indicator, it's, strictly speaking, the metering indicator when in Manual mode. Which shows an under-exposure of -2. Same result, an under-exposure of 2 stops, as I pointed out in post #12, but not under-exposure by EC compensation.

Pedantically yours...

• 2 weeks later...

Set your camera's exposure metering to metering in matrix or average. You have your camera set to spot. Spot will always metering the spot at which the square is over and can produce inconsistent results if that's not what you intend.

Yep, I was going to say it was set to spot metering AND manual exposure metering with set to -2.0 EV; its doing exactly what it was designed to do based on the settings by the operator. 

Edited by Puma Cat

Yep, I was going to say it was set to spot metering AND manual exposure metering with set to -2.0 EV; its doing exactly what it was designed to do based on the settings by the operator.

Sorry to be pedantic again. The camera is set to manual exposure to give an under-exposure of two stops. Exposure compensation doesn't come into it. The meter is showing 2 stops under-exposure not 2 stops exposure compensation.

The indicator has a dual purpose. In Manual mode it shows the exposure, in auto mode it shows the exposure compensation. Same value but a subtle difference.