#1 merlin

merlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:43 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Finally got my X30!  It will take awhile to figure everything out, but I am wondering about the choices for film size.

I am used to 3:2 from decades of 35mm film shooting, and with my other X cameras, so wondering about choosing this rather than 4:3.

Thanks!

merlin

#2 brian kvedaras

brian kvedaras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

I am not sure whether this was ever answered, but I have been thinking along similar ways.

Until I got my fuji, I hadn't thought about aspect ratio, and with a Panasonic TZ40 travel camera that I used a fair amount for the last 2-3 years, I had instinctively set it to 16:9, so that the images would fill my wide screen TV if I wanted it to.

However, with a fresh flush of photo enthusiasm, I have been processing some of mine using PS Elements.  Nice portrait format pictures of tall church interiors in France.  But, in 16:9, I'm not getting enough width in portrait more, and I'm just getting tall narrow images.

So for now I'm experimenting with 4:3, as it will give me maximum crop flexibility whilst not losing any image size.

Whilst I appreciate that it isn't 35mm-equivalent 3:2, I am thinking that the old aspect ratio constraint might just be an unnecessary constraint.

Have you been using 3:2?

#3 merlin

merlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Hi Brian.  I haved been using 4:3 since I got the X30, particularly because this size gives the full resolution of the sensor.  I have not had any problems with this, even though my X-T1 and X100S are set to 3:2. 

It was very easy to become accustomed to the size, especially since I compose with the viewfinder, and the entire image is shown.

Edited by merlin, 24 April 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#4 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

Nothing wrong with 4:3 in my opinion. Applicable to a wide range of subjects.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close