Newbie - is X100T right for me?

The X100 series camera are excellent for travelling, mainly because you will not be carrying around lenses and then thinking which one should I use. Back in the day I would take two Rollie 35 cameras one with B&W film the other with colour slide film, never had a problem.

I use the X-Pro, X-T1 and I also use the X100s. I would only take the X100s on a trip, no need even for a camera bag all you need is a spare battery a couple of 8gb SD cards and charger, you want to take pictures not needlessly carry a lot of gear, check out David Hobby on the strobist blog http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/on-traveling-with-your-camera.html

The X100s is an excellent camera the black version is available from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=fujifilm+finepix+x100s&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps 

Good luck and enjoy your trip

The X100 series camera are excellent for travelling, mainly because you will not be carrying around lenses and then thinking which one should I use. Back in the day I would take two Rollie 35 cameras one with B&W film the other with colour slide film, never had a problem.

I use the X-Pro, X-T1 and I also use the X100s. I would only take the X100s on a trip, no need even for a camera bag all you need is a spare battery a couple of 8gb SD cards and charger, you want to take pictures not needlessly carry a lot of gear, check out David Hobby on the strobist blog http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/on-traveling-with-your-camera.html

The X100s is an excellent camera the black version is available from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=fujifilm+finepix+x100s&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps 

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Good links!  Yes, moving away from the bulk of the DSLR (and flash, which I always seem to have attached) for my upcoming trip is the impetus for a new camera.

I never really thought about the X100S before... the $400 savings is appealing.  But I'm usually paying a premium for the latest/greatest/cutting edge, when it comes to tech gear.  Ugh, a sickness! 

Good links!  Yes, moving away from the bulk of the DSLR (and flash, which I always seem to have attached) for my upcoming trip is the impetus for a new camera.

I never really thought about the X100S before... the $400 savings is appealing.  But I'm usually paying a premium for the latest/greatest/cutting edge, when it comes to tech gear.  Ugh, a sickness! 

Massdrop just recently made the X100T available to buy at $979.99 (if enough people commit, they will be able to unlock a lower price). See it here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fujifilm-x100t-digital-camera

I've not bought anything from Massdrop before, but they usually have a lot of participants for all the stuff they can get deals on. They had the X-T1 awhile back, and for that drop, they said that Fuji would honor the warranty. Haven't heard from the organisers regarding the X100T's wararnty though, but that's a great price at any rate, even cheaper than 2nd hand prices that I've seen. I haven't been able to glean whether they are only offering the black, or if the silver will be available as well. There is a discussion tab at the top where you can voice any concerns/questions, the organisers are usually great about replying! 

Hope that helps :) I just stumbled upon the Massdrop deal today, and then happened to see your thread on FujiRumors, so thought I'd share! I'd totally join this drop if I didn't just buy an X-T1 + 35mm  :lol:

Massdrop just recently made the X100T available to buy at $979.99 (if enough people commit, they will be able to unlock a lower price). See it here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fujifilm-x100t-digital-camera

I've not bought anything from Massdrop before, but they usually have a lot of participants for all the stuff they can get deals on. They had the X-T1 awhile back, and for that drop, they said that Fuji would honor the warranty. Haven't heard from the organisers regarding the X100T's wararnty though, but that's a great price at any rate, even cheaper than 2nd hand prices that I've seen. I haven't been able to glean whether they are only offering the black, or if the silver will be available as well. There is a discussion tab at the top where you can voice any concerns/questions, the organisers are usually great about replying! 

Hope that helps :) I just stumbled upon the Massdrop deal today, and then happened to see your thread on FujiRumors, so thought I'd share! I'd totally join this drop if I didn't just buy an X-T1 + 35mm  :lol:

I was vaguely aware of Massdrop before you mentioned them.  Seems a bit risky, especially with no defective exchange and/or standard warranty.  Thanks for sharing.

[...]

A tad bit too risky for my taste, I would rather get something from evilBay, at least I would have Paypal to cover me up in case of nasty things hitting a fan and spreading it everywhere.

I'm a amateur travel and street fotographer not anymore so young. Comming from Nikon FM's, Pentax, Olympus (analog), Canon, I dowsized to a Fuji X100T and a Panasonic FZ1000 (the Sony RX 10 II was at this time not out), plus my GoPro and I'd not want anything else for the time beeing. May be once a weather resistant RX 10? How ever, if you have a camera, but want a viewfinder with changable lenses, wait for the X-Pro 2.

I'm a amateur travel and street fotographer not anymore so young. Comming from Nikon FM's, Pentax, Olympus (analog), Canon, I dowsized to a Fuji X100T and a Panasonic FZ1000 (the Sony RX 10 II was at this time not out), plus my GoPro and I'd not want anything else for the time beeing. May be once a weather resistant RX 10? How ever, if you have a camera, but want a viewfinder with changable lenses, wait for the X-Pro 2.

I don't think I can wait for an X-Pro 2.  Looking to buy an X100T within a month.  Just hoping/waiting for a sale in order to pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Well I finally grabbed a silver X100T.  Overstock.com randomly got 1 (one!) silver version in stock just a bit ago.  With their discounted price and bonus 2X cash back from Chase, I netted the camera for $1209 shipped from an authorized dealer.  Not great, but $90 is $90.

Very anxious to receive it :)

Congrats on your purchase - i look forward to reading about your experiences, and hopefully the enjoyment that I get from mine.

My only advise is to read the full electronic manual to learn all about the various features of the camera as opposed to the paper beginners manual that only shows you how to insert the battery and memory card.

Congrats on your purchase - i look forward to reading about your experiences, and hopefully the enjoyment that I get from mine.

My only advise is to read the full electronic manual to learn all about the various features of the camera as opposed to the paper beginners manual that only shows you how to insert the battery and memory card.

Good tip, I will download the manual now.

I also bought this book via Kindle/Amazon, so I'm hoping I will learn a lot: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KS3I72M 

Good tip, I will download the manual now.

I also bought this book via Kindle/Amazon, so I'm hoping I will learn a lot: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KS3I72M 

Yep - a definite must do. As small as this camera may appear (in fact this applies to ALL Fuji X cameras) - it is really like the Tardis in Dr Who... It holds a lot more on the inside than it does on the outside, and it's never ending supply of gadgetry and software tricks will much the best of any of the DSLR bodies - except the sections on A/F (thought I'd add that caveat for the politicaly correct).

Well camera gets here in two more days, and I've been reading the manual and that Kevin Mullins digital book about the X100S.

But now I'm starting to sweat because I'm starting to think Overstock.com is not an authorized dealer for Fuji!  They are listed (when they have the camera in stock) right on Fuji USA's site when you go to the X100T page click "Where to Buy->Online Stores" along with  Amazon, Adorama, Best Buy, etc.  But I don't see them listed on the "official" PDF list that you can download from the Fuji site.  Dunno how old that list is however.

Well guys I think I got burned by Overstock.com.  They did indeed ship me a (new) camera, but it appears to be gray market.

There is a sticker over the serial number on the outer packaging that reads "Fujifilm X100T Digital Came...national Model No Warranty) NEW" and the serial number starts with 52Uxxxxx.

Earlier in the day (before I received the camera) I emailed Overstock customer service, and asked if they were an authorized reseller for Fuji.  The emailed back and indicated specifically they were an authorized seller for the X100T. I could have went to some no-name place (and saved $$) if I really didn't care about gray market.  I bought from a link from the Fuji website, from a seller that was a few bucks cheaper than Adorama, but who I had used before with no issues.

Should I be concerned?  What would you do if you were me?  Camera appears and accessories appear new, but I haven't unwrapped yet.  No US warranty card inside.

EDIT: I was able to register the camera on the Fuji USA website.  Not sure how strict the serial number formatting is, however. Can anyone confirm they have an X100T (non-gray market) with a 52Uxxxxx formatted serial number?  I saw some posts online from several years ago that indicate US cameras have a xxAxxxxx designator for America, but there is nothing corresponding to U.

Edited by SamS

Apologies for the multiple posts, but I did get a resolution of sorts.  I did indeed find a warranty card inside, and it explicitly states the warranty is for NON USA sales.  So, clearly gray-market.  I did the online chat with Overstock and they issued an RMA and emailed a return label.

Lot of headache in an attempt to save a few bucks, but Overstock is listed as a buying option on the Fuji USA site.

I learned my lesson... new silver X100T ordered from Huppins via Amazon, will arrive on Saturday :)

I'm a new X100T owner as well.  The folks from mass drop made me decide to go for it, but then when I found it was grey market, I canceled the order and just ordered it from B&H.  It's been lots of fun to use, and I know that I have lots to learn about it.  Did some street photography with it last night.

Thanks!

Jerry

http://jskiphoto.com

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to update everyone.

So I did get the X100T (ultimately from Huppins), and have been using it for a few weeks. I am very satisfied with the usability and quality of the pictures. I had to relearn several basic photography concepts, but the results have been worth it. I'm impressed with the build quality and ergonomics.

One thing I didn't account for was the $300+ in accessories! Without them, the camera was just not pleasurable to use.

So far, I've got:

• Peak Design - Slide strap (arriving today)
  • Lensmate thumb grip
  • Lensmate anodized soft-release button
  • JB Designs - grip case (essential!)
  • JJC adapter ring
  • Hoya HD2 UV filter
  • A few Samsung Pro+ 64GB cards
  • A cell-phone screen protector to cover the rear LCD

So thanks for all the responses and help. Very satisfied with my purchase at this time. The only black mark was initially ordering from Overstock.com and the 3 weeks of working to get a refund for the gray-market model they sent me.

Your accessoes are just you personalising the camera to suit you. We all do similar - just differently according to our preferences.

That said, glad to hear you are enjoying your photography - and yes, the X-Trans and Aperture ring do force you to re-think how you do things a bit, unles you're an old git like me who enjoyed working with these things back in the day (1980's)

Your accessoes are just you personalising the camera to suit you. We all do similar - just differently according to our preferences.

That said, glad to hear you are enjoying your photography - and yes, the X-Trans and Aperture ring do force you to re-think how you do things a bit, unles you're an old git like me who enjoyed working with these things back in the day (1980's)

One surprising thing to me is using the electronic shutter with a relatively high shutter speed (1/1000), I often "miss" the shot, i.e. I have to press the shutter much sooner than I would expect in order to catch the action. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or this is to be expected?

1/1000th isn't a high shutter speed on the X-100T... 1/32000th is a high shutter speed :-) That is done via the EVF and does require a new way of thinking.

The Fuji X A/F is one of those features that differs from just about all other makes of camera. Especially one with a working OVF as well as an EVF.

Sadly, this is one of those things you will need to read up on or ask questions about. For me, it works pretty similar to the Freznel Focusing Rings on my old Canon lenses used back in the 80's so came as fairly straight forward to adapt to.

Please, do not look up Freznel focusing systems - it will confuse the issue more than needed. Trying to think of who to recommend to get a full and concise explaination of how the Fuji X AF worksand how best to master it.

I've rather 'cobbled together' a working method that suits me - more by chance than through know how.

I see. Well I'd appreciate any additional tips/reading on how to best use the X100T for high shutter speeds. I use the EVF exclusively. I feel I have to time my shutter engagement well before the actual action. In a real life example, if I tell someone to throw a ball, I press the shutter before the ball even leaves their hand to capture it mid-flight. Yes, I understand there's some natural delay and mechanics involved, but it just stood out as the one behavior that I was not expecting.