Which of the following settings has an impact RAW files?

yellowmatic

I've read somewhere that Dynamic Range settings (100% - 300%) has an effect on the RAW file as well as the Jpeg, but in what way? I haven't noticed a difference to be honest. But what about other settings, like Grain Effect? I did some test shots and I did notice an effect on the RAW files, am i imagining this or could the be an issue with the processor? And finally NR, does it affect only the Jpeg or the RAW files too? Thanks for any clarification. X-E3 user.

Dynamic range settings of more than 100% cause the 'gain', i.e. ISO, to be lowered locally in bright areas to reduce/prevent clipping and thereby 'protecting your highlights'. SO it does affect RAW. Most other settings only affect RAW processing i.e. the JPEG.

Grain affect does not affect the RAW image data, but it stored in the RAW metadata.

Beware - it is difficult (arguably impossible) to 'look at a RAW file'. When you try to look at a RAW file, you are either looking at an embedded JPEG thumbnail preview, or the software that you are looking at the RAW file with is processing the RAW file on demand to generate a JPEG that it is displaying on the screen. Depending on the software, and/or its settings, it may be looking at the RAW image data and its embedded metadata and taking the original camera settings, i.e. grain affect, into account.

Edited by bazmataz

...and, although, I don't use Lightroom, I bet there is a setting/mode in LR that will look at the RAW processing metadata in the RAW file and will show you LR's interpretation of the STRONG GRAIN setting, and other in-camera settings. Certainly CaptureOne the equivalent RAW processing engine, which I use, optionally does do this.

You have to remember that the RAW file is not an image, its the data required for a RAW processing engine, like LR, CO, or even Windows Image Viewer, to create one, and they will all do it slightly differently. Software that doesn't have the capability of processing and rendering the RAW file at all may dig out the embedded JPEG thumbnail from the RAW file, and display that instead.

BTW - I use CO, rather than LR, because it is widely believed to make a better job of rendering Fujifilm's weird X-Trans RAW files better than LR, and most other engine's.