XH2 for Macro

I currently own a XT4 and love shooting macro, using both the Laowa 65mm and the Fuji 80mm lenses, while dabbling in most other types of photography but mainly landscape/seascape.  I never shoot video.  I am considering upgrading to one of the newer bodies and my attention has fallen on the XH2 as the prime candidate for the 40M sensor but haven't really seen a lot of information on how good the camera is for macro.  Most of the videos on YT seem to focus on comparing the three new cameras as a general overview and seem to spend a lot of time on their relative video capabilities, which is fine as they are marketed as hybrid cameras.

Does anyone have any opinions on how well the XH2 holds up in the macro arena?  I know the XF80mm is on the approved 40Mp lens list so not worried about that.

Oh, and the other consideration that is important when settling on the XH2 is the ergonomics - I am a fairly 'robust' person with hands like shovels and the form factor of the new bodies with the deeper grip is what made me discard the XT5.  I use the XT4 at the moment as I have fitted a SmallRig hand grip to it which makes holding it and carrying it a lot easier.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very new to the XH2 but bought it mainly for macro, woth the 80mm.

I haven't got a flash yet but in sunny weather I habe been able to take some pretty great macro shots of flowers and insects. (Nothing pro-level, just happy the eyes are in focus and background looks o.k.)

There are howeverr a few points that strike out:The lack of traditional eyelets for a belt , means you can put the camera flat on a table on any side , maybe use the lens cap to prop it up and get 20, 40, etc second exposures on basically anything that you can get in its field of view.

I own a tripod and macro rail,  but just putting the camera down on a table and get insanely detailed images of  wear and marks on your keys is  pretty cool. (And make for a pretty cool lock screen wallpaper)

I tried this with apples, pocket knives, candles etc. and have found a lot of joy in seeing so much detail in mundane objest without any specialized gear.

The other thing is that the 40 megapixels allows for insane cropping: you can crop a portrait oriented picture from a landscape photo en still end up with a 20-ish megapixel result.

The grip on the XH2 is also much nicer with the 80mm macro than the XT5.

The picture below is a tiny wasp like creature, perhaps 0.5 cm long, and this is a SOOC JPEG, with at most 5% saturation and maybe a bit of contrast added. (The litt.e bugger looked blue when I spotted it, but on camera   this is what it actually looked like, this is a 20 is mp crop, the flower it sits on is about 1cm wide.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Swanny

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

• Im not partal to any brad, just opted to try these based on apparent price / performance.  I'm always looking for best bang per buck, hence Fuji I guess - haha Reliabilty does not concern me, as I always shoot to two cards for pro work (and burst shooting is not a part of that). Made sense for me to get the cheapest / fastest CF cards for hobby shooting.     I just got a Sabrent Rocket V60 512GB cheep (as the back-up card).   As long as neither of these freeze the camera I hope its a cheep solution for my needs. (AB AV Pro SE 512Gb and Sabrent Rocket V60 512GB).  Half a gig of redunat storge for $200USD is something I can live with. (Especially considering I can bust the hell out of the Anglebird). Cheers, Tomek
    • Would using an external charger be of benefit to the batteries life? I appreace it can be faster, but I doin't mind pluging in the camera over USB to charge. Does charging via the camera do as good a job as lets say the fuji's own external charger? Does the camera stop charging once the battry is full and not over charge? I couldn't find these deatails in these forums or in the manual. Thank you!   Image below shot on X-T2 in a sunny studio.  

• It is really easy to find out if the wifi is on. Your computer or tablet or cell phone will have a network settings dealing with wifi, bluetooth, ethernet or “other”. Open that up and go into the section for wifi, and take note of which networks are listed. Turn on the camera and keep watching the list of networks. If your camera’s wifi is turned on, a new network should suddenly show up in your computer/tablet/phone’s network listings. Now go into the camera’s menus and start a wireless connection (the x-app or camera remote app can help you with this). You should see a network show up now. It is not hidden because it has to be visible so that your computer/tablet/phone can join the camera’s network to transfer images. Turn the camera off and that network should disappear. Turn the camera back on and see what happens.
    • Sweet Creek Falls, Oregon. X-H1, Viltrox 13mm F1.4, Acros.