Nikon D7000 to X-T1

sebas1430

Hi all,

Since last year, I'm more and more interested by Fuji. Since a couple of months, I really enjoy looking at your pictures on this forum.

I'm really looking forward to replace my Nikon D7000 and lenses to get new gear for this summer. I initially thought than I should wait for X-T2, but the wait could be long and starting with X-T2 plus a few lenses could be pricey. So I'm wondering if the X-T1 could be a good choice and start invest into Fuji today. My biggest concern is to make sure that my next camera is a noticable step forward from my D7000.

• Is there someone here that did the same upgrade path?
  • How is the X-T1 compared to the D7xxx line in term of image quality and usability?
  • The D7000 has not the greatest AF system... which camera would be better (speed, accuracy and low-light)?

My main interest is landscape and nature, but I also enjoy taking pictures of different subjects types. I also like wildlife, but I'm already limited by my 70-300.

Here is my current gear (to be sold)

Nikon D7000

Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6

Nikon 70-300 VRII

Nikon 50mm f1.8 (don't use it often)

Flash Nikon SB700 + Yongnuo flashes

Lee 100mm holder + filters

I would like to start with this kit now, and improve it over the time

X-T1

18-55 f2.8-4

55-200 or 50-230

Rokinon 12mm

I would need a good TTL flash, I think Yongnuo has one for Fuji

I would like to migrate from Lee 100mm to Lee Seven7

In the future, the 100-400 would be my top priority for wildlife, then I would add some primes from time to time for better portraits, and to have more ultralight combo options for street photography or hiking.

Thank you for your comments!

Edited by sebas1430

I use a Nikon D7000. I have the XPro1, Xpro2 and XT1.

All I can say is, it's going to be a BIG jump going from the D7000 to the XT1. Everything is much better.

Despite what Ken Kessler said about the D7000's 3D AF Servo, I have NOT been able to get much keepers.

It is also fair to note that the D7000 is fairly old camera. The D7200 is a much, much better machine.

For Lenses, I'd recommend,

Rokinon 12mm F2. This lens is crazy sharp with superb IQ. I use this too.

XF35 F1.4 or XF27 F2.8 (if you prefer to do more street photography than portraiture)

XF55-200 This lens is easily the best zoom lens that little money can buy. Fantastic IS, super sharp and great IQ. Great handling.

Hello Sebas1430, 

I purchased a Nikon D700 when it was first released, and I really enjoyed it.  I had all of the f2.8 lenses and used only Nikon stuff.  However, in the last few years, with two knee replacements behind me, I began dreading having to haul the weight of the camera and lenses around with me, primarily because of the weight and size of the equipment.  I began looking at replacement cameras and lenses, and narrowed it down to either the Fujifilm XT-1 or the Sony A7 series cameras.  After looking closer at the Sony's, I realized that because the Sony has a full frame sensor, that the lenses that I wanted would be the same size as the Nikon equipment I wanted to get rid of.  I decided to go with the XT-1 and their lens systems.

I got a quote from KEH and shipped 40 pounds of equipment to them.  I had a check back from them within 10 days.  I ordered my XT-1, along with the 16 mm lens, the 55-200 lens, the 90 mm lens, the 16-55 lens, and the 18-135 mm lens.   I also purchased the Nissin i40 flash for the camera.  Once I got it all in, and began using it for a few days, I found it had made photography "fun" for me again.  All of the controls were on the top and easy to change, the camera was lighter, and the lenses were, in my opinion, better than the Nikon glass I was using.  Overall, it was the best move I could have made as far as a camera system goes.   

For instance, the Fujifilm 18-135 mm lens covers a range of 27-206 mm on a 35 mm camera.  It weighs 1.08 lbs.  My Nikon 70-200 lens weighed 3.39 lbs.  That is a big difference when you carry that weight around all day.  I also find that the usability for me was much better using the Fujifilm rather than the Nikon.  With the D700, to make many changes within the camera required you to use the menu button and dig down in sub menus every time.  With the XT-1, and I can easily make them on top of the camera in an instant.   The only thing the Nikon had going for it was it's very fast autofocus in high speed mode.  However, my XT-1 is no slouch either, and I find it easier to use.  

My younger brother is a very accomplished photographer, and has provided a few stories which have been printed in National Geographic.  He was also using the Nikon system, and his main body was the Nikon D3S and the D4.  Like me, he got tired of the weight of all of it and went to the XT-1 and the XPro 2 bodies.  He sent everything to KEH and bought the Fujifilm cameras and many fixed lenses.  He also says he is having more enjoyment with the Fuji's than he had with his Nikons for a long time.  

Like you, my next purchase will probably be the 100-400.  I hope this helps.  I think you would really enjoy the Fujifilm XT-1 system.  Good luck!

Hi all,

Is there someone here that did the same upgrade path?

How is the X-T1 compared to the D7xxx line in term of image quality and usability?

The D7000 has not the greatest AF system... which camera would be better (speed, accuracy and low-light)?

Hi!

I used many systems. Among them some Nikon camera and a D7000/16-85/35G. It's now an "old" camera so switching from D7000 to XT-1 and you will undoubtedly get an overall "better" camera. But DSLR has also improved since 2010. I will not get into controversy (AF bla bla..IQ blabla...) so I will give just my personal opinion, the following points are not being debated in my mind and for my uses.

Choose a Fuji EVF camera if:

-you don't need the best AF-C.

-you don't need the fastest "ready to use" camera (time to "power-on").

-you don't need the best battery life.

-you can adapt to EVF.

-you need among the best JPEG files.

-Fuji lenses cover all of your needs.

-you don't need fantastic and cheap lenses.

-you don't need an unic global customer service.

All of the other facts will be near or similar and the photographer's skills will be more important than specific performance of any system.

Edited by Fredkelder

Since you want to start and improve over time, if I were you I would continue to use your current equipment for about half a year and start your Fuji system with a fresh X-T2. I have the X-T1 and while it is a great camera I think it is in need for an upgrade.

Thank you everyone for you comments and suggestions. Really appreciated.

Last year, I almost bought a D7200. This would have been a really rational choice. But I realized that having a smaller kit is what I wanted. Then I fell in love with Fuji.  The D7200 is not a super heavy camera, but I do a lot of hiking and outdoor activities, so having a Fuji with one or two light primes could be perfect (27 / 35f2 for instance). Smaller bag, smaller filters, lighter tripod is an advantage too.

Also, my current lense setup is ok, but I never updated it since my D7000 purchase back to 2010. So I miss a long telephoto and my ultra wide angle lense is not suitable for night photography (stars). I also do more portraits than before, and I don't really have a good lense for that. So as I need to invest into lenses, I think it's the right time to switch to mirrorless. I would keep this system for at least another 5 years.

I'm happy to hear you that the X-T1 would be a better camera in almost every aspect. That's being said, I think I will keep an eye on used market in my region and wait to find a X-T1 at a good price. It's that time of the year when I don't shoot often, so there's nothing urgent. Then I will loose less money when moving to X-T2, and I could wait a few months to get this last one so the price can fall and Fuji can fix first issues. This could be a perfect tradeoff.

And to answer you Fredkelder, I understand perfectly the "limitations" of current Fuji system vs latest generation of DSLR. And Fuji has a great lenses lineup. When they announced the 100-400 earlier this year, at that time I was then convinced that Fuji could fit all my needs. 

Edited by sebas1430

[...]
And to answer you Fredkelder, I understand perfectly the "limitations" of current Fuji system vs latest generation of DSLR. [...]

The current limitation of Fuji bodies are the AF speed for subject with fast/erratic movements, the AF movement tracking is really not that good when compared to Canikon in the same price range. You can still get some decent results if you dedicate yourself to it, but frankly any of the recent DSLR will have a much easier time doing it than Fuji.

The second one is the high ISO, the current highest point is 12800 on the X-Pro2, X-T1 is still stuck at 6400, which can be very annoying at times.

Be also aware about the real differences in size/weight: still the same sensor size, so the gain is mostly limited to the body only (except "pancake" lenses).

One of the reason why I choosed Fuji X100T+X70 but my needs are different.

Edited by Fredkelder

The current limitation of Fuji bodies are the AF speed for subject with fast/erratic movements, the AF movement tracking is really not that good when compared to Canikon in the same price range. You can still get some decent results if you dedicate yourself to it, but frankly any of the recent DSLR will have a much easier time doing it than Fuji.

The second one is the high ISO, the current highest point is 12800 on the X-Pro2, X-T1 is still stuck at 6400, which can be very annoying at times.

I never use AF tracking anyway, it doesn't work good on my current camera. And for high ISO, I actually never go above 1600. I never got great results at 3200. It still a 5 years old camera... On this chapter, the X-T2 would give me the results I want. In the meantime, the X-T1 could do a bit better than my D7000 which is a good thing. Sure the new D500 should be a beast, but people are so crazy these days with high ISO. Wildlife is the only time I need really high ISO but having a good 6400 would be perfect.

Be also aware about the real differences in size/weight: still the same sensor size, so the gain is mostly limited to the body only (except "pancake" lenses).

One of the reason why I choosed Fuji X100T+X70 but my needs are different.

Well, while Fuji lenses are not the most compact, I think their size is good as they got wide aperture. And Fuji seems indicate that they will be focusing on smaller F2 lenses which is great.

And since Fuji has only an APS-C system, all their lenses are designed for that sensor size. With Canikon, most of the times, they will release wide aperture lenses with FF in mind which means larger lenses. Sure they got a few small 1.4, 1.8 primes but they are not as good as Sigma ART lenses. But those ones are so heavy and big; I would not want to travel with that.

I switched from Nikon D7000 to an X-T1

I like the X-T1 much better. Real control dials, aperture ring, compact, weather sealed and better image quality. The Fuji lenses are better and on the normal to wide angle range, smaller and lighter. 

The one thing I miss from the D7000, is shooting all day on one battery. 

I just purchased an X-Pro2 to have 2 bodies and will upgrade the X-T1 to an X-T2 whenever it comes out. I now have 7 Fuji lenses and plan to get a couple more. I love the primes... 16, 23 and 56... I'm gonna get the 90 soon. The 10-24 is excellent. These are all lenses worth investing in. 

This might be a matter of taste, but IMO once you switch to an EVF you will not go back to a DSLR optical viewfinder (the OVF of the X100 series or the Leica M is a different matter, and still has its uses).

Last year on a whim (it was cheap as dirt at a nearby mall) I bough a Nikon D3200 as a "who cares if they steal it or if it breaks" travel camera for the times I'm not going around specifically to take pictures.

I used it quite a bit alongside my other cameras to test it in advance, but after a single trip I hated its guts and I sold it shortly thereafter. Mind you, the results where as good as anything else, but it was frustrating as hell to use.

And I am one of those folks who shot for 20plus years with a film camera on unforgiving slide film, just to say that I don't need chimping or an EVF to nail my exposure nor I need to compulsively check my latest shot, but I think an EVF is photographically speaking life changing.

Nowadays I use a Sony A7r for landscapes, a Fuji XT-10 for landscapes and everything else, and an Olympus E-M10 for when I'm bicycle touring, the Olympus mostly because the lenses are incredibly small and so fit in my saddle bag; as they say "horses for courses".

Edited by addicted2light

Thanks Deva and addicted2light for comments.

You are right about battery life. This is something really good about DSLR. I have shot about 750 frames on Saturday and my battery was a bit below 50%. But this shooting was an exception. I don't shoot that much normally. I will carry more extra batteries with a X-T.

I never used an EVF but the one from the X-T1 seems really good, specially the size, a real advantage.

I'm waiting for the official announcement and based on the price and availability I will decide if I go with a new X-T2 for a used X-T1. With the recent price increase in Canada, I might go with the last option for this summer to save money for more lenses, and then move to the X-T2 once the price drop.

"... but IMO once you switch to an EVF you will not go back to a DSLR optical viewfinder (the OVF of the X100 series or the Leica M is a different matter, and still has its uses).

Last year on a whim (it was cheap as dirt at a nearby mall) I bough a Nikon D3200 as a..."

Yeah, about that. I go back to DSLR to anytime I shoot something that actually moves or when I need more than a paltry 300 shots per battery on a big day (if you're lucky). Yeah, - then you buy the crappiest Nikon and declare all DSLRs inferior... hmmmmm. Whatevs....

Edited by Max_Elmar

Yeah, about that. I go back to DSLR to anytime I shoot something that actually moves or when I need more than a paltry 300 shots per battery on a big day (if you're lucky). Yeah, - then you buy the crappiest Nikon and declare all DSLRs inferior... hmmmmm. Whatevs....

Battery life doesn't bother me, a couple of spares fit in a pocket and you won't even notice they are there (but I don't shoot video or time-lapses).

As for the EVF, I didn't say that DSLR are inferior. I said that's a matter of taste. The D3200 was bought as a toss-away camera, but during the years I've used my fair share of pro and semi-pro Nikon and Canon bodies. I still prefer to use an EVF, though. Obviously anyone else should make their own mind about this, depending on what they shoot, but for me there is no going back to an OVF.

Edited by addicted2light

It's all a matter of getting used to. Of the 3, Nikon is the only camera which allows pretty direct access to settings via buttons and switches on the outside of it's body. It calls more most of your fingers being used. Once you've mastered or gotten used to it, it makes shooting very fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I came from Canon but I can confirm that the 55-200 is truly amazing.

The IQ and dynamic range on my first Fuji an xpro1 is great, better than a 70D.

The Fuji 10-24 is also superior to the Sigma 10-20 F3.5, and I really liked my sigma.

I just bought the Xpro2 which is spot on and worth a try as a real step forward and more future proof, I know the body shape is odd, but trust me the handling and focus joystick make it worth a go, you may be surprised.

Hope this helps.

I too can confirm the switch from Nikon (7100 and 810) has been nothing short of a fabulous, maddening journey.  At this time, I have an X100T, XT1 and the XPro2.  I would never return to Nikon.  Their product lline is truly enjoyable.  I carry with me at all times, 2 lenses, the XPro2, the XT1 body and the X100T.  The combined weight of all this equipment is considerably less that 2 lenses and a body that I used to lug around.  The image quality is more than satisfactory.  Currently, I have the 35mm, f1.4, 14mm, f2.8, 18-135mm and have ordered the 90mm.  I do not expect to need anything else.  Make the switch.  You will not regret it.  There is a significant learning curve with Fuji.  However, once mastered, you will be very satisfied.

It looks like the X-T2 won't be available for my summer vacation, so I made my decision and I will buy a used X-T1. The lower price will help me to buy lenses. There are a couple of interesting offerings in my region actually. I will put my Nikon gear for sale this Friday.

I'm still unsure if I need to sell my SB700 flash. Yesterday, FR posted a new product that allow Fuji users to use Nikon flashes. I really know nothing about how Fuji can work with third party flashes (TTL, HSS), I need to read on this topic. But for sure, I want someting easy to use.

Hmm - I am in the gradual process of switching (and possibly remaining committed to both) to Fuji from Nikon. I have an old Nikon D90 and the Fuji XT-1.

I won't dwell on what I like about the Fuji system but I do want to give you a cautionary note on the XT-1 for wildlife photography. I think you'll find it a lateral move at best relative to even older Nikons.

My current solution is to keep the D90 with the Nikon 80-400 on it for birds and wildlife and the Fuji for everything else. For me, replacing the D90 with a D7200 would be the best bang for the buck move.  I am curious to hear the reaction to the upcoming XT-2 with the 100-400 but I would be surprised if the focusing is as effective as the D7200/NIkon 80-400 combo for any action photography.

I love the image quality of the XT-1 but consistent focus has been an issue with me for people shots in low light in a way that even my older Nikon handles better. Some of it me learning the new system but I think you will also find that moving the focus point, looking thru EVF on the small camera is a more deliberate, slower process than your Nikon. 

If wildlife is a big part of your photography, I might suggest hanging on to your D7000 and telephoto lens and make sure the Fuji XT-1 meets your needs there.

Hmm - I am in the gradual process of switching (and possibly remaining committed to both) to Fuji from Nikon. I have an old Nikon D90 and the Fuji XT-1.

I won't dwell on what I like about the Fuji system but I do want to give you a cautionary note on the XT-1 for wildlife photography. I think you'll find it a lateral move at best relative to even older Nikons.

My current solution is to keep the D90 with the Nikon 80-400 on it for birds and wildlife and the Fuji for everything else. For me, replacing the D90 with a D7200 would be the best bang for the buck move.  I am curious to hear the reaction to the upcoming XT-2 with the 100-400 but I would be surprised if the focusing is as effective as the D7200/NIkon 80-400 combo for any action photography.

I love the image quality of the XT-1 but consistent focus has been an issue with me for people shots in low light in a way that even my older Nikon handles better. Some of it me learning the new system but I think you will also find that moving the focus point, looking thru EVF on the small camera is a more deliberate, slower process than your Nikon. 

If wildlife is a big part of your photography, I might suggest hanging on to your D7000 and telephoto lens and make sure the Fuji XT-1 meets your needs there.

D7000 focuses better than the X-T1? Nooooo way.....

Wildlife is not my principal interest. Last two weeks, I did rent a Sigma 150-600 to shoot goose migration. My D7000 was slow to focus sometimes and since the light was not superb, my camera was set to ISO 3200 and even 6400, which is a way to high for my camera.

On next Saturday, I'm gooing to shoot red foxes. I will still use the same setup and hopefully the condition will be better.

I don't think the 100-400 with the X-T1 (and later the X-T2) will be an issue compared to my actual setup, at least for most shooting conditions. Shooting a moose, fox or bear doesn't require the fastest AF on the market.

But if a need something better, I would prefer to rent a Nikon FF body with a good telephoto lens about 4-5 times a year rather than keeping my D7000 and buying a good telephoto lens.

Edited by sebas1430

One thing I loved about the Nikon was that I could turn it on and press the shutter without hesitation. In fact, no matter how I tried, I could not press the shutter fast enough to not take a photo.

My X-Pro2 feels more like my Nikon did in terms of speed. It turns on much faster than the X-T1, the screen returns faster, etc. This bodes well for the X-T2.

I was also out yesterday testing the X-Pro2 with the 50-140 as far as focus speed and tracking moving objects. Mostly I was shooting cars as they moved towards and away from me (plus a couple people running). A couple times the the focus missed because the car had come close enough that the focus area only saw the flat side of the car, but otherwise every shot was in focus. The X-Pro2 is definitely a step up from the X-T1 and is better than my Nikon. Again that bodes well for the X-T2.

I don't think the 100-400 with the X-T1 (and later the X-T2) will be an issue compared to my actual setup, at least for most shooting conditions. Shooting a moose, fox or bear doesn't require the fastest AF on the market.

But if a need something better, I would prefer to rent a Nikon FF body with a good telephoto lens about 4-5 times a year rather than keeping my D7000 and buying a good telephoto lens.

The X-T2 (assuming it is at least as good as the X-Pro2) will outperform your D7000 for tracking and AF. You already get 8FPS with the X-T1 and better high ISO performance. So you have a solid upgrade path (X-Pro2 is already known) to the X-T2. 

I still have my Nikon gear, but have not touched it once since switching to Fuji. The Fuji lenses are such a pleasure to work with. 

The X-T2 (assuming it is at least as good as the X-Pro2) will outperform your D7000 for tracking and AF. You already get 8FPS with the X-T1 and better high ISO performance. So you have a solid upgrade path (X-Pro2 is already known) to the X-T2. 

I still have my Nikon gear, but have not touched it once since switching to Fuji. The Fuji lenses are such a pleasure to work with. 

When using 8FPS on X-T1, does the camera do the focus on every frame?

And it would be great if the X-T2 doesn't have a blackout period.

Thanks