disable automatic exposure preview on EVF and back screen?

Hello,
this is my first post and I would like say hi to everyone and say I am very happy with my X-T20 with my 16-55 1:2.8 R lens.
I have a behaviour I would like to stop on my camera: both in automatic and fully manual, my EVF and the back screen tend to adjust the image preview exposure. I find it a bit annoying because I would like the camera to follow what I am trying to do, no matter if my image is under-exposed of over-exposed, even if the exposure is not correct according to the sensor. This behaviour happens also when I am using a pola filter. While rotating it, I am expecting the image to darken in some parts, like the sky usually and the whole becoming a bit less contrasty. The EVF and the scree then readjust the image, so I am not able to see the pola effect to decide when I am happy with.
I tried to change the "photometry" in the "Shooting Settings" menu.
In the "screen set up" all is at 0.
In the same menu changing the "Preview Pict. Effect" from ON to OFF won't change the bahaviour.

What setting I should look for?

Thanks a lot. :-)

As long as you are in automatic exposure mode I don’t think that it is possible to have the EVF not compensating even if the preview effect is set on off ( I think that Fuji might have lost this in translation and might have meant something that wasn’t referring to exposing but only film simulation NOT about the exposure ) .

It will work only in manual.

Then you see the screen noticeably getting lighter and darker with a polarizer, but not in automatic.

The rationale might have been that in automatic most would want to see how the camera exposes automatically and possibly make corrections with +/- exposure which is what I and most people do.

You are describing an automatic exposure as it happens on a DSLR ( while observing through the prism ) but I think that the mirrorless philosophy is different.

Most want to see what you get in terms of real, actual, automatic, exposure in real time, not the progressive darkening of a double( ?) polarizer.

So if you put a dark filter, the camera compensates in real time always showing what IT believes to be the correct exposure for that ISO, Aperture, Shutter + possible filters combination.

Anyway all this is immaterial. It is what it its.

From Dan Bailey tricks and tips ( he appears to agree with the way I see this thing happening, from now on these are his words)

http://danbaileyphoto.com/fuji_tips_and_tricks.pdf

4. Preview Picture Mode

This very useful setting showed up in a firmware update after the X-T1 had been out for awhile. Found in the Screen Setup Menu, Preview Picture Effect has two options, ON or OFF. The default setting is ON, which allows you to see the scene in your viewfinder with your currently selected film simulation applied.

OFF shows you your scene without the effect of the film sim.

This gives you a much more accurate view of the world in front of your camera. With the film sim applied, you don’t always expereince how good the EVF actually is. Looking through the electronic viewfinder with Preview Picture Effect OFF is almost like looking through an optical viewfinder.

This option is extremely useful for situations when you want the most realisim in your viewfinder, i.e., when photographing night skies or shooting in RAW. Check out this use- ful setting; it will give you new appreciation for the awesome technology built into these cameras.

5. Preview EXP/WB in manual mode

This preview option, found in the Screen Setup menu, lets you preview exposure and white balance changes in your viewfinder.

This mode is ON by default, and I like to keep it that way.

One of the huge advantages of mirrorless cameras is that you’re able to view real time changes to your exposure in the LCD and EVF, because you’re drawing the view directly from the sensor. This means what you see on the LCD is EXACTLY what you’ll get when you take the photo.

In most situations, you’ll WANT to see this stuff, because it removes the uncertainly, especially when shooting in tricky light.

Turning this setting OFF essentially makes your Fuji act more like a DSLR, where what you see may NOT be what you get. Unless you like the mystery of tricky exposures, you should keep this set to EXP/WB ON. 

Edited by milandro

HI Milandro,

thanks a lot for your answer. Yes, I had a go with the two mentioned setting as well but the behaviour is not changing and is there also when shooting in manual, which is my main way of taking picures. Also I use the pola a lot and I am getting quite frustrated.
I think is time to request for a "DSLR behaviour" setting for the next firmware then. :-)

Edited by lamacchiacosta