X-S20 + XF 70-300mm lens combo, IS problems

alsal

Hi everybody,

First time posting here and hoping to get some feedback from other users of this camera-lens combo.

I recently bought the Fujifilm X-S20 and the XF70-300mmF4-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens. I installed the most recent firmware update for the X-S20, version 1.11, the version of the lens is 1.00

I took the camera and lens on a trip to Iceland and the following problems happened very frequently:

-The image stabilisation (IS) mode 1 did not work and the picture was blurry because of movement or malfunction of the IS. I then took the same picture with the same settings in IS mode 2 and the picture this time was sharp. The shutter speeds I used were never too slow and sometimes quite fast.

-Then when using IS mode 2 the pictures will be not sharp again and by changing back to mode 1 again with the exact same settings the picture was sharp.

-Sometimes when the shutter speed was relatively high, for example 1/800 sec, both IS modes would produce blurry pictures. I needed to turn IS off to get sharp images.

-I was using single point, single AF in Manual mode all the time since I was doing landscape photography. Sometimes the AF would hunt even when there were define edges to grab focus. It also produced blurry pictures due to miss focus in some occasions even though I had the green AF confirmation.

I checked if there was a new firmware version for the 70-300mm lens but I could not find it in Fuji's website.

I was rather disappointed at the behaviour of this combo. I had to constantly check focus and repeat the shot several times to get sharp images. It was not a reliable combination of camera, lens.

Anybody out there experiencing any of this?

Thanks a lot!