Question on macro lens options

bhu

With Fujifilm cancelling the XF120 macro and a rumor of a macro in a shorter focal length, I wonder what the photography experts think of the change.

The shorter focal length should help the lens gather more light, making macro photography easier without an external light source, but would also lower the magnification of the subject. There is also more competition from Fujifilm's 60 mm 0.5x lens and the 100 mm Rokinon / Samyang lens.

Please lend me your thoughts on macro lens choices, especially trades concerning focal length.

Edited by bhu

For macro, 90 is good starting point topping up at 180mm (FF equivalent) for those jittery critters.

More importantly is sharpness and close focusing distances.

Weight is also an important part if you are going to be bound with flash guns. Weather sealing is great for more unique shots in the wet.

Speed is always a bonus but watch out for workable DOF.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Disclaimer: I'm a real novice macro photographer.

I like a balance between close focus and adequate working distance. I like the idea of wide, environmental macro lenses like that Laowa, but I think it'd drive me nuts in practice with its single digit millimeter working distance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

With Fujifilm cancelling the XF120 macro and a rumor of a macro in a shorter focal length, I wonder what the photography experts think of the change.

The shorter focal length should help the lens gather more light, making macro photography easier without an external light source, but would also lower the magnification of the subject. There is also more competition from Fujifilm's 60 mm 0.5x lens and the 100 mm Rokinon / Samyang lens.

Please lend me your thoughts on macro lens choices, especially trades concerning focal length.

Cancelling the 120mm is a disaster to me. Unless it is just to introduce 180mm or 200mm 1:1 macro lens.

60 mm is OK for product photography. But for wildlife macro it is way too short.