Any XF 30mm macro users?

design8r

Hey all, my first post here (after introducing myself). I have picked up an X-T5 and I am considering purchasing the XF 30mm macro - just getting into macro photography.

Any users with this lens here? Any good / bad impressions would be very much appreciated. 

Cheers!

I have one and like it a lot. It’s a pretty versatile lens. It’s compact and light and autofocus seems pretty fast.  I would note that due to the shorter focal length for 1:1 magnification the working distance is very small. So small that have to remove the lens hood.  For me it’s a great lens but if was looking for dedicated macro lens I’d probably look at longer focal length. 

I own all the small primes, love to take them out when I want to travel light and use primes. I bought the 30mm to put it in my bag instead of the 35mm f2. Perfect image quality, great focal length, just in between the 27mm and the 35mm. Use it a lot for images of flowers, small items to show detail, and also documentary work. Certainly not the lens for insects, yet great for all other purposes, and sharp and crisp. My walking around lens is the 23mm, if wider I use the 16mm and if portraits are asked for its the 50mm f2. And for close ups and standard viewing angle its the 30mm. Much more in use than the 35mm, works for me as I expected when I bought it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was shooting with the XF 30 macro on an X-T5 just the day before yesterday, flowers outdoors and in a greenhouse. I had nice sharp images. A hyacinth in direct sunlight at f/8, 1/250 s, ISO 250 is gorgeous all the way to the edge of the image. Also an old gate latch with very nice red oxidation where the black paint wore through, very striking when I blow the image up.

I have the 80mm macro.  A little on the heavy side, great for dedicated macro work, but I too am thinking about the 30mm.  The close working distance is a downer, but the light and size is a great compliment to an afternoon walk.