Nikon i-TTL on Fujifilm Cameras? Check out RoboSHOOTs’ review by Mehrdad!

Serene Automation has just announced support for select Nikon Speedlights, off-camera, with full TTL. Plus, for a short time, you can use your Nikon Speedlight with your X-series camera for about the same price of a new Fujifilm Flash! Check out their website for details, including which SB units are supported.

In his review Mehrdad Samak-Abedi said “I have a very positive experience with the RoboSHOOTs. Everybody who looks for wireless TTL flash for their Fuji X-system should have a close look at the MX/RX line.” Most of us in the X community know and respect Mehrdad’s work and contributions, including his interview in Fujifilm Magazine here.

Be sure to take a look at Mehrdad ’s great review of the RoboSHOOT system at www.qimago.de

Indeed, 'Short Time' means until enough sales warrant a production run. So, the discount applies to pre-orders (prior to the production run) and thus is for a limited time. The units provided are full versions, unrestricted in any way. Sorry for that confusion.

About sync speeds. It all depends on the Fuji implementation. Normally, above around 1/320 you have to use HSS, due to the physics of the shutter. Once Fuji implements HSS in the flash protocol, we plan to adopt it. We believe there will be no great difficulty to support this, but, can't state support until we have a working unit from Fuji. The radio itself is the fastest in the business. It can trigger in as little as a few hundred microseconds. This is fast enough to support a variety of implementation options that Fuji might use.

Best regards,

John Poremba, Founder Serene Automation

@John Poremba. When I asked about sync speed I wasn't referring to high speed sync. The x-100 series has a leaf shutter and thus can sync at pretty much any speed (There are some physical limitations on the shutter above 1/1000, so it can't sync at every aperture at speeds above 1/1000, so 1/1000 is the plateau of efficiency for flash). The problem is, however, that there is often a delay in radio signals. For example, Pocket Wizards (except for the multimax version) top out at 1/500. So, in order to take advantage of the ambient light killing virtues of higher sync speeds, hardwiring is resorted too. The Cactus v6 permits syncing at 1/1000, but it's a manual only trigger - not TTL. So the issue isn't the Fuji protocol, but whether your unit can transmit the signal fast enough to permit the full 1/1000 sync. Thanks. Joe

Indeed, 'Short Time' means until enough sales warrant a production run. So, the discount applies to pre-orders (prior to the production run) and thus is for a limited time. The units provided are full versions, unrestricted in any way. Sorry for that confusion.

About sync speeds. It all depends on the Fuji implementation. Normally, above around 1/320 you have to use HSS, due to the physics of the shutter. Once Fuji implements HSS in the flash protocol, we plan to adopt it. We believe there will be no great difficulty to support this, but, can't state support until we have a working unit from Fuji. The radio itself is the fastest in the business. It can trigger in as little as a few hundred microseconds. This is fast enough to support a variety of implementation options that Fuji might use.

Best regards,

John Poremba, Founder Serene Automation

Doesn't Fuji has HSS protocol yet? ... which works fine with Nissin i40 :)

@John Poremba. When I asked about sync speed I wasn't referring to high speed sync. The x-100 series has a leaf shutter and thus can sync at pretty much any speed (There are some physical limitations on the shutter above 1/1000, so it can't sync at every aperture at speeds above 1/1000, so 1/1000 is the plateau of efficiency for flash). The problem is, however, that there is often a delay in radio signals. For example, Pocket Wizards (except for the multimax version) top out at 1/500. So, in order to take advantage of the ambient light killing virtues of higher sync speeds, hardwiring is resorted too. The Cactus v6 permits syncing at 1/1000, but it's a manual only trigger - not TTL. So the issue isn't the Fuji protocol, but whether your unit can transmit the signal fast enough to permit the full 1/1000 sync. Thanks. Joe

Sorry for my confusion. I went to the local camera store (don't have an x100 but we did test RoboSHOOT on one before). Anyway, we came away with very good sync speeds. But, I want to do more checking before I tell you the result. It will take a little time... Thanks for your patience. John

Doesn't Fuji has HSS protocol yet? ... which works fine with Nissin i40 :)

Per our understanding, the i40 has HSS, but, manually configured until Fuji provides support. It is not clear if HSS will work automatically on the i40 when Fuji supports it, but, we expect it will. We also do not know if the i40 will require an update for auto HSS.

But, unfortunately Fuji has not delivered HSS yet. We hope it will be released soon and anticipate implementing it on RoboSHOOT with no issues, provided it is working correctly with the i40 or another available flash. But, obviously we can't make a concrete commitment until we see it working. 

Best,

John

What is the maximum supported sync speed for these units? I'd like to be able to get 1/1000 at full power.

In my test the RoboSHOOT M-x20 and my x100T 1/2000s wasn't a problem. I guess 1/4000s shouldn't be a problem, too. I only could test it here right now with the ef-20. It worked fine @1/4000s but the flash power is to weak. Unfortunately I don't have the Nikon SB900 available anymore to test it @1/4000s. But 1/2000s worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...