fuji X-T1 rubber surface

dunky

I've sent a letter with som questions in a mail to FujiFilm Nordic.

Could you share the content of these questions and be so kind as to inform us on whether they would answer them and how?

It seems to me that Fuji has had, at first, and incredulous and dismissive attitude towards the problem.

This apparently was the attitude in the beginning and may still persist at a peripheral lever because many had been charged and may still be charged for the repair.

However, whenever someone has complained to the main office in Tokyo satisfaction in the form of a free replacement was offered, even overruling previous fees charged prior to the complaint, but as far as I know there was never a form of explanation which disclosed the nature of the problem or its diffusion.

In other words, we don’t know why this happened and whether this affected a particular batch or , in time, it would affect all cameras.

I can only suppose that they have investigated the problem but my hunch is that if they have ( as I think they must have done) they aren’t likely to share the reason why this happened.

They might tell us whether the problem affects cameras of a particular batch though but I am sure that their legal department would advise them against a generalized disclosure or admitting any manufacturing defect simply because that would open the door to all sorts of claims while solving the problem on a one to one base would be the thing which any lawyer would advise his customer to do unless something really serious has happened ( like a camera that stops working in the middle of a wedding shoot because of a defect but this is not the case here!).

Edited by milandro

Could you share the content of these questions and be so kind as to inform us on whether they would answer them and how?

It seems to me that Fuji has had, at first, and incredulous and dismissive attitude towards the problem.

This apparently was the attitude in the beginning and may still persist at a peripheral lever because many had been charged and may still be charged for the repair.

However, whenever someone has complained to the main office in Tokyo satisfaction in the form of a free replacement was offered, even overruling previous fees charged prior to the complaint, but as far as I know there was never a form of explanation which disclosed the nature of the problem or its diffusion.

In other words, we don’t know why this happened and whether this affected a particular batch or , in time, it would affect all cameras.

I can only suppose that they have investigated the problem but my hunch is that if they have ( as I think they must have done) they aren’t likely to share the reason why this happened.

They might tell us whether the problem affects cameras of a particular batch though but I am sure that their legal department would advise them against a generalized disclosure or admitting any manufacturing defect simply because that would open the door to all sorts of claims while solving the problem on a one to one base would be the thing which any lawyer would advise his customer to do unless something really serious has happened ( like a camera that stops working in the middle of a wedding shoot because of a defect but this is not the case here!).

In respect of Fujifilm I will not share my questions now. I'll wait for the answer.

Audun

you may have asked the head office yourself and it won’t take long for them to respond.

They might offer to repair your camera at no cost, I am not sure they will reveal anything about the sensitive nature of the problem.

https://contact.fuji...1477.1432290617

Perhaps not, but they might com up with an improved way to fix the problem. Better glue/tape, better rubber and/or a better way to fix it. I'll wait for the response before I send my X-T1.

If they have worked out a better glue they will use it but I don’t see any reason to tell a consumer what they use and admit they weren’t using a good glue before.

They might say we are using a better glue, or we have reformed our production line, but even that I doubt.

Any decent lawyer would advise them not to admit anything for fear of liability. Why should they reveal anything?

Since there has not been a safety issue here, I seriously doubt that at peripheral or central level any such information on the quality of their adhesive or the type of material used will be ever divulged in public.

Only if there would be a court case involving damages litigation with someone claiming that one was poisoned by the adhesive or the skin of the camera they might be forced to reveal the material of the skin and composition of the glue ( which also wouldn’t be theirs and would come with a safety sheet of its own).

I might be proven wrong but I rather doubt it.

Good Luck!

If they have worked out a better glue they will use it but I don’t see any reason to tell a consumer what they use and admit they weren’t using a good glue before.

They might say we are using a better glue, or we have reformed our production line, but even that I doubt.

Any decent lawyer would advise them not to admit anything for fear of liability. Why should they reveal anything?

Since there has not been a safety issue here, I seriously doubt that at peripheral or central level any such information on the quality of their adhesive or the type of material used will be ever divulged in public.

Only if there would be a court case involving damages litigation with someone claiming that one was poisoned by the adhesive or the skin of the camera they might be forced to reveal the material of the skin and composition of the glue ( which also wouldn’t be theirs and would come with a safety sheet of its own).

I might be proven wrong but I rather doubt it.

Good Luck!

The most importent about this is that Fuji get a feedback from customers, and that they listen to the users and fix the problems. I'll inform this forum about what happends with my camera.

This is now beginning to happen to my X-T1, It's been used it for 3 weddings and minimal use outdoors. I live in Ireland so it's not exactly 65% humidity and 35 degrees weather to have the issue arise as quick as it has. I have had numerous Canon bodies and not one of them had this issue. My X-T1 is 16 months old, which technically is taking the piss. I had to send it to Fuji to get the sensor remapped after 6 months, and that took 2 1/2 weeks. Fuji better bring this to the service dept as a free out of warranty repair. Having to pay €120 for a design fault is not my idea of the great Fujifilm customer service they expect us to believe. Strange how I don't see anyone with an X-E2 with this issue??

I have ordered a metal grip from Photomadd today to prolong the life of the rubber before inevitably having to get it repaired. If not it'll be up on eBay to get an X-E2s in the hope they fixed the issue with that model.

Edited by Reactivestills

The issue is not with the X-T1 tout court ( although there was a member here who reported a problem with the X Pro 1) because some develop this and some don’t.

It might very well be a bad batch problem.

I don’t understand why they would charge you €120 since they have dealt in most cases with extending the guarantee terms and repairing for free. Get in touch with the head office.

I have asked the management here to start a poll among the X-T1 owners to know how many have this problem.

We might have to compare serial numbers to see if there is any common denominator among the affected cameras.

The issue is not with the X-T1 tout court ( although there was a member here who reported a problem with the X Pro 1) because some develop this and some don’t.

It might very well be a bad batch problem.

I don’t understand why they would charge you €120 since they have dealt in most cases with extending the guarantee terms and repairing for free. Get in touch with the head office.

I have asked the management here to start a poll among the X-T1 owners to know how many have this problem.

We might have to compare serial numbers to see if there is any common denominator among the affected cameras.

The serial number of my X-T1 is 41M09319

Well, I can tell you that mine is 42MO7646, which maybe younger than yours ( if the prefix numbers are sequential) and I don’t have any sign, yet of rubber surface detachment.

Which doesn’t mean it won’t come!

I have attempted to contact the FR staff, both reporting this thread and by PM, to make the point that we here, aside from carrying on with our conversations, could be a valuable sample of users to hold a poll amongst.

If we have say 1000 ( I might be overestimating the number of people who would actually participate to this) participants, we might help Fuji with having a picture bigger and more complete of the problem.

Assuming that they don’t know yet what this was or is.

My hunch is that they know already and that they chose to simply act on a one to one base because otherwise they might have to face a costly “ total recall” receiving cameras even from people whom might otherwise never experience the “ problem”.

Still no answer form Fuji.

I'll contunue to follow this tread and post here till I get an answer from Fujifilm Japan.

I'll also update my post in Norway till I hear from Fujifilm Japan.

Edited by Audun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Second time for the rubber on my X-T1 peeling. The door is bulging too. I tried to find the two adhesives mentioned but could not locate them so I tried another adhesive that did not hold. I don't recommend anyone trying this unless you have good hands. I used my dental instruments to control and keeping the glue where it belonged.

The first time this happened, Fugi replaced the skin under warranty. This time they said it will cost $24 for a new skin and a new door.

I asked if they had an improved 4-way controller too. They said they do have one for $24 but their opinion was that the improvement was minimal. I asked to see a camera with the new controller and it felt only slightly more tactile to the feel of it.

All said, I left the camera for a week to have the new skin, door and 4-way controller replaced for a total of $48.

I live in Thailand and the weather here will destroy anything rubber or plastic. I keep my lenses in a dry cabinet to prevent mold.

When I tried to do the repair myself I noticed a design flaw where the rubber meets the metal. If they changed that small problem, the rubber would not separate so easily. Not worth explaining it as most, unless they were machanically inclined or a machinist, would not under stand.

That said, I have been using SLR's and DSLR's since 1967, many Canon bodies and the Fugi is the only camera where I have had this rubber separation / bulging door issue. I also have the X100S too. Happy to have them fix it all for very little money.

Unfortunately there are now several threads open here discussing these matters.

from what SnowyB and KTCM say this might APPEAR to be a problem connected to their local weather conditions ( temperature and humidity)  but it is very well possible that there are other factors at play. In fact the North European weather conditions are so very different that no weather conditions commonalities should be there!

KTCM, I find it is preposterous that you are being charged for a fabbication defect, even more so if this is the second tome, complain to the head office in Tokyo

https://contact.fujifilm.com/cgi-bin/mail/form.cgi/contact_tokyo_headquarters?_ga=1.205812756.665361477.1432290617

we need FUJI to hold a survey, through FR or not. I am afraid that the one privately started one from a FR a member here has very little chance of success, a survey has to be started from Fuji or being authorized from  them to have any meaning or change anything.

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2547-fuji-xt1-weather-sealing-fault/

Edited by milandro

the problem has been existing for some users longer than 2 years and to date nothing has been done other other than fixing. generally for free, the camera.

Despite owning the X-E2 ( which is a great camera in his own right) I prefer the X-T1 and, touchwood, until now, didn’t have to deal with this problem.

Nobody knows why this happens, nobody knows why this happens to some cameras and not to all of them. Some people have reported this type of problem with other cameras too.

Aki Asahi http://aki-asahi.com/store/        he couldn’t make an alternative skin for this camera because the camera , in his words, “ is not straight” I am not quite sure of what he means by that.

Maybe this is the problem?

Edited by milandro