fuji X-T1 rubber surface

dunky

• 5 weeks later...

I did send in my X-T10 because the rubber on the left side came off propably because of pulling it out of my small carry around bag. Lets wait how Fuji will handle this, the camera is about one and a half year old... Time to clean lenses!

I've had the same issue, the skin around the display back / dpad buttons has started to slide around and peel away.  The camera is extremely well looked after and is kept in a bag at all times when not shooting.  It's 2 years old and not used particularly heavily and has never been exposed to extreme heat or cold and has only once been exposed to drizzle once, despite being weather resistant. So, I can be confident in saying that this is a manufacturing issue rather than a user issue.

Good news is that I just called Fuji UK and spoke to customer services and they're going to send me out a replacement section of skin (it comes in parts) as well as new tape for free.  I did stress that I thought it was a manufacturing issue and it has been heavily reported.  Wether that influenced them resolving for free I don't know but I'm happy with the manner they've dealt with the issue.

some interesting but inexplicable variation, my camera is 3 years old used quite a bit an only now shows minor traces of wear and only by the thumbrest at the right and side of the camera where the thumb is always .

No other place ( I use a L plate with front grip ... still) shows any wear and absolutely NO tear whatsoever. I am not doubting your words but I cannot believe that we are talking of the same camera! I hope this isn’t going to jinx my camera but that is what I have found to be the situation. Incidentally I have another friend who bought the same camera one year and a half later at the same shop and he has no wear whatsoever too, perhaps even less than mine!

• 7 months later...

My X-T1 also has that 'skin & door problem. The first time I managed to glue it but now another part has come loose but this time the rubber is too deformed to glue it back in place. I teared off the loose parts because it was getting quite annoying. The front side of the X-T1 looks okay without the rubber skin, except for the grip, which looks very rough. I don't know what kind of glue or material they used here but it's very hard and not soft and easy removable like on the other surfaces.

Edited by Alex Cremers

• 2 months later...

So, I've sent my X-T1 in for the THIRD time to get the skin and door replaced.  It's become an annual tradition: weather turns cold, send the X-T1 back to Fuji to get "fixed".  Sigh.  I have treated the camera no differently than any Canon thing I used in the past and have never had an issue prior to Fuji.  Ever since the first time it happened I have been extra sure to not leave it in the sun or in a hot car, etc.  and still the issue comes back every year.

Fuji has come back to me with an estimate of CAD$120 + tax to fix the issue.  The camera is well out of warranty, of course, but I'm hopeful based on the recent article on Fuji Rumors (https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t1-rubber-grip-issue-no-longer-issue-last-experience-fujifilm-repair-service/) that I can convince them to do it for free.  OR, at a minimum that the service will include the newer material shown in the article and that I won't be back this time next year with the same issue all over again.

What I would like to get a sense of from folks here is:  how many of you have gotten your skin replaced (sounds awful) for free outside of the warranty period?  I'd love to have that as evidence for my case and hopefully it will be helpful for others too.

Thanks!

Adam

Not one replacement has been necessary, nearly 4 years and still going strong.

I can’t understand what makes some camera’s skins come off and some others not.

BTW despite an intense use of the card door it too has no “ swelling” ( The battery door is used only when it needs to be)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had my X-T10 repaired last summer. Had to pay only half of shipping costs (service center was in another country). The problem was it took quite a lot of time as the only capable person there had taken vacations (as they told me).

I do not have a clue why it came off. Before sending for service experimented with some of double sided adhesive tapes. One of these worked fine, but was too thick.

I too have the USB door problem, the card door is fine. The peeling skin and USB door problems of the X-T1 can be found all over the internet. Some people already have several re-skin jobs done by Fuji.

yes, I am STILL either very lucky or do something (don’t know what it might possibly be) that others don’t , still the original skin and still no sign of skin detachment , just very slight wear but after almost 4 years I suppose that is to be expected.

2 other friends in the NL have cameras as old as mine bought in the same shop and no complaints either.

Must be a Dutch thing! ^_^

Edited by milandro