fuji X-T1 rubber surface

dunky

Update: Today I picked up the X-T1 body with the new skin, door and 4-way controller replaced for a total of $48. Looks brand new and the door is nice and flat.

​I suppose I could have complained to Fugi or asked for the manager before agreeing to the repair price, i think they gave me a break on the labor though because the skin and door were only $20. I choose to have the 4-way controller replaced but they told me upfront that in their opinion the difference was minimal and now that I have it: I agree. They really should have raised the 'touch buttons' a bit more. Actually I brought some SUGRU from the U.S to build up the buttons myself, but even though I kept it in my dry cabinet, the stuff was rock hard when I opened the package.

I am very mechanically inclined, I make a lot of my own accessories, camera straps, flash modifiers, flash arms, etc. So that and along with my dental background, it looked to me that the metal is too flat where it meets the rubber. If they would create a 'dovetail undercut' where the rubber meets the metal, it would create a 'mechanical lock' and that alone would really help prevent the rubber from peeling away from the body.

What they did comes with a 3 month warranty. As others have said, it is a mystery, I have thirty year old bodies and they never did anything like that. 

• 4 months later...

The build quality issue is a huge problem with Fuji cameras, we have had the faulty accessory door, the rubber grab falling off all over the camera and dead pixels issues.

Would love to get it repaired, but as we are currently working in Brazil there are no Fuji repair centres here... Kinda sucks when your camera is falling apart....

From all of the threads I have read, it seems a very common problem, and one that Fuji just is just not addressing.

We did a write up of our finding here :http://blupace.com/reviewing-xt1-1-year-on/ in the hopes that it may assist others in they decision when buying a Fuji camera.

Edited by blupace

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately coming across the same issue now after 1,5 years. Door now so warped it no longer comes anywhere close to fastening while the rubber has detached from body under the 4-way controller. Looks like has swollen so difficult to just glue back.  Frustrating given the weather resistant selling point...

Will see if the Fuji Repair centre will look after it without charging me an arm and a leg. If not, will just tape the bloody thing back on and use it. Enjoy using the X-series too much to get rid....just hope the X-T2 a little bit more robust...

Hi folks, found my solution for the detached rubber and "banana" door on the xt1.

I've got this well used Xt1 with all the scratches on it, making it Oh so sexy and no Milandro, it's is Not put there by me ;). Al comes natural.

Anyway, paid €250 for it. 100% in working order except the rubber and door. The door is in what I called "banana shape", the rear rubber "thump rest" is off, front grip almost, left side corner starts to. It looks nasty so I stripped it all off and cleaned the glue residue.

Wanted to send to Fuji Germany for a new door and rubber as they agree to do it for free (xt1 is only 2.5 years old), but that means my Xt1 will be gone for at least a month. No way :).

So, I ordered Asahi's synthetic leather sheet and went my way. Making templates and start cutting.

This is how it first came in.

received_259286057800901_zps8sibvh9y_edireceived_259286007800906_zpsepkb00l1_edi

IMG_20160924_111027_zpshk3uol6q.jpg

Left over, can't re-use it.

received_261010847628422_zpsfik6obij_edi

Here I go,first the rear as it is easier.

IMG_20160924_180323_zpsput9xpu5.jpgIMG_20160924_180648_zpstcarnc3x.jpg

This result gave me confidence to move to the front section :)

PicsArt_09-24-08.09.54_zpsu7u4k2fd.jpg

Left side.

IMG_20160924_151441_zps9ao0f7mp.jpg

Edited by FujiGlitch

Grip side, that grip looks intimidating! Maybe that's why Asahi can't give us a pre-cut.

IMG_20160924_170920_zpsxrmx84sc.jpg

Applying process.

IMG_20160924_173012_zpstnd42fre.jpg

IMG_20160924_173020_zps80cfz5x2.jpg

And Done!

IMG_20160924_175706_zpsgyf5upge.jpg

An additional grip to hide away the lashes. In real life it's less noticeable than on the picture.

IMG_20160924_175745_zpshlaanvk7.jpg

Now the door. Added two "L-shape" frame to straighten out the door.

IMG_20160926_092831_zps14rjbctp.jpg

But that is not enough so I gave It a "heat treatment". Obviously, don't try this is you don't know what you are doing!!

IMG_20160926_093003_zpsvmhk4iu8.jpg

There you have it, all straight and tight!!

IMG_20160926_092855_zpsiunmqmwf.jpg

Needless to say, I'm a happy guy with my Xt1, it feels solid and even more robust then with the rubber from fuji.

IMG_20160925_215009_zpsmndsozxn.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Edited by FujiGlitch

Mine has not come off in 3 years. Another friend 2 years and counting.

Some other folks have had it come off straight away but the majority (obviously) have never complained about this.

It is a freak occurrence together with the bulging door (also never had any problem) which has involved some people only.

So, in most cases, they did get it right the first time.

I hope yours will be safe too.

mine came off too. And I also have the banana door. Fixed it once.... but the banana door is back. Rubber Surface has some bubbles again. I guess it's just a matter of time, and it will come off again.

That said, I met other X-T1 shooters, who have absolultely no problem, since years now.

well, I suppose this issue has naturally run its course. The X-T1 is still for sale and not yet, officially discontinued, but who is buying a new X-T1 now? (they are offering it a €300 discount so for €900 you can buy yesteryear flavor of the month)

Was it a faulty batch? Were user’s or environmental’s causes at play? Fuji has kept schtum about it and hasn’t told anyone what caused the problem.

We will never know what caused it.

Some cameras have had this problem but my hunch is that most haven’t or we wold have had many more public complaints. For the sake of knowledge, Patrick, you may want to start an survey.

Fuji has almost in all cases replaced ( even more than once) the peeled off skin and bulgig door , more often than not for free as this was, most probably, a production defect and they knew it.

I can only hope that they have learned something. Obviously they have now another such problem with the eyecup of the X-pro-2.

They all seem to come off, yes, they are replaced but the camera needs to be sent away for a long time. Some are going the DIY direction but that, I am afraid, in a new camera, will not be a sensible thing to do since it voids the guarantee (this is now mostly immaterial with the X-T1 since the factory’s guarantee has, in most cases, expired... although it can be argued that this is a factory defect and the normal terms don’t apply in this case).

For the sake of knowledge, Patrick, you may want to start an survey.

I once wrote something on FR: http://www.fujirumors.com/my-main-2-complaints-about-the-fuji-x-t1/ ... it would have been actually a good idea to implement a survey there.

At photokina, I talked to the guys of the repair service (undercover of course ;) ), and they told me that I can send it in for repair, but they will use the same material to replace the bending door. And since this is my second door bending, I won't send it in anymore... the third door will probably bend too. So I prefer to keep my camera and accept that... (and use gaffertape)

well, I suppose this issue has naturally run its course. The X-T1 is still for sale and not yet, officially discontinued, but who is buying a new X-T1 now? (they are offering it a €300 discount so for €900 you can buy yesteryear flavor of the month)

Was it a faulty batch? Were user’s or environmental’s causes at play? Fuji has kept schtum about it and hasn’t told anyone what caused the problem.

We will never know what caused it.

Some cameras have had this problem but my hunch is that most haven’t or we wold have had many more public complaints. For the sake of knowledge, Patrick, you may want to start an survey.

Fuji has almost in all cases replaced ( even more than once) the peeled off skin and bulgig door , more often than not for free as this was, most probably, a production defect and they knew it.

I can only hope that they have learned something. Obviously they have now another such problem with the eyecup of the X-pro-2.

They all seem to come off, yes, they are replaced but the camera needs to be sent away for a long time. Some are going the DIY direction but that, I am afraid, in a new camera, will not be a sensible thing to do since it voids the guarantee (this is now mostly immaterial with the X-T1 since the factory’s guarantee has, in most cases, expired... although it can be argued that this is a factory defect and the normal terms don’t apply in this case).

I recently bought an XT1 graphite edition (I'm in Australia). The additional upgraded features of the XT2 and XPro2 wasn't necessary for me, so thought the price/features on the XT1 was good enough.

Unfortunately, had the warping rubber door issue only after 1.5 months of use (bought at the end of August 2016). Serial number 61N00076.

Currently with Fuji for repairs. Service personnel from Fuji has been outstanding, but gutted having to send it in after such a short period of use. First time in 9 years I've been physically without a camera so feeling quite empty atm.