fuji X-T1 rubber surface

dunky

The rubber surface has come loose from the body, now for the second time within the first year of the warranty. Fuji is repairing again, but this concers me greatly about the build quality, not the performance.  This is very lightly used body.  I will become very disinchanted with the X-t1 if this continues to happen.  I have written to fuji about my concerns, but no one seems to care enough to respond.  I have beend a photographer for 60 years and never had this kind of an issue. Any suggestions, or how do I get my correspondence to be taken seriously?  Thanks........

Well, Dunky, it is hardly surprising that Fuji is not making a very big deal of this because, although some people report similar problems involving the doors changing shape so on http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/634-x-t1-accessory-door/?hl=%2Bfuji+%2Bx-t1+%2Bdoor, this is thing that is happening to you and your camera but, as far as I know, it doesn’t appear to be a general problem or we would hear a lot more of this and that, if I am not mistaken, is not the case. 

In actual fact, this is the first time that I read of the whole plastic protection coming off the entire camera. If, as I suspect, this is not a general problem, what do you want them to say to you?

They are probably just as baffled as you are and short of sending a team of investigators to see why your camera has shown this problem, if they have not heard from others reporting it, they probably have no clue about why this happens.

So, I think, their response to you is : "we are going to repair your camera”. 

My experience with the Japanese ( and in general most of the other Asian culture) is their lack of response when it comes to question that cannot be answered. Let alone answering with a straight “ NO” to any direct question.

Years ago I had a series of problems with Horseman cameras ( large format) it took me a real long time to get them to respond to me.

As for the specific problem.

Could it be that there is something in the environment where you use the camera or the way that you use the camera to produce this not generally experienced effect?

Indeed. Looks more common than previously anticipated.

At first I would have thought it was something due to a very localized or specific cause: like keeping the camera in the sun or subject the camera to some heavy push-pulling ( as I suspect happens if you use a sling or a wrist strap ).

But the fact that these reports (most about the doors but I suppose that that is the first area where problems happen) are beginning to surface more and more, as the cameras age, it probably means that there is more to it than just a freaky occurrence .

PatrickFR, one of the administrators of this forum, reported yesterday a bulging of his left door just starting and the fact that he had contacted Fuji both anonymously and then in his capacity as Fuji-x-forum.com administrator ( which should mean some more leverage) and he was only given the possibility to replace the cover but no explanation about what it is going on.

I suspect that this will be the general company attitude throughout the world as long as these cases stay within single digit percentages ( which I suspect this still is ).

Only if this would assume a pandemic state we would then see a “ recall”which I personally think would be a nightmare because the sheer amount of cameras which will go to the laboratories will be such that they will be engulfed with work for months.

Fuji's attitude, I am afraid, is, until now, not very talkative, to say the least. But that is not uncommon. My brother had a similar problem with Rover cars ( when they still existed), his car was brought in for a regular service and then he was told that something had to be replaced. They held the car and replaced something at the front of the car but refused (!) to say what it was that they had replaced. My brother was alarmed and asked his lawyers to send a letter requesting formally an official explanation of what it was that was changed and why and they declined.

He never heard what was wrong with his car which required something to be replaced ( and that if hadn’t been spotted, could have been potentially dangerous, he imagined).

We shall see. 

I've been probably using one of my X-T1 more than any came I've ever had but the door got bended and rubber on the grip side of the camera came off long time ago. Now even on my vertical grip I can see the same thing ... Where the second body with the second vertical grip (which I use much less) are like new.

Interesting that when I carefully peeled off the front rubber from the grip to clean from old glue (looded like stickjaw) and glue it back, the size of the rubber was greater in length and width and didn't fit on the camera anymore... so it took me some time to get it back :)

It is happening to me really disappointed with fuji build quality. It is negating all the good work that they put into making a fantastic camera. Fuji XPRO 1 seems much more rugged than Fuji XT1. The door on the left is loose and the rubber on the lower right. I will post the post the photos if you guys are interested. We should not shy away from admitting that it is a problem. It does not take away anything from fuji, actually helps them to improve the product.

I would like to see photos of this stuff..

Any chance this is an environmental issue or like Antony said, something the users are letting these cameras come in contact with?  Extreme heat.  I'll spend 6+ hours walking the streets with my camera constantly in my hand in 100+ degree heat and I haven't experienced any deterioration of the body materials at all.

My usage is very minimal. Mostly around my home and on a few outings. Not exposed to high heat or cold. Handled normally as would be expected. As I posted previously, I take exceptional care of my gear as I have for over 60 years and never had an experience like this. If this continues will fuji care or will we be charged outrageous prices to repair at our expense.

Hoping that fuji does care and will research the source of the failure, and offer to satisfy their loyal customer base. It is an awesome product! We just need a little TLC.

If they are aware of the problem I don't see why you have reason to believe they won't try and fix the issue.  Companies don't stay in business for as long as Fuji has by ignoring Quality Control issues.  As these things come in for service they will narrow down the issue and fix the problem.

Not only, legislation in most countries of the world protects buyers against fabrication defects and this protection extends longer than the 1 or 2 or 5 years guarantee.

If Fuji wouldn’t correct this it might very well find itself being sued by someone for Manufacturer Negligence.

I’ve written a lot about this in another thread about the doors of the X-T1 bulging

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/634-x-t1-accessory-door/

In Europe this protection doesn’t come from the maker company but it comes from the shop where you bought the camera. They are responsible, if they are no longer there, than the distributor is responsible, if they are no longer there the  importer is responsible.

In other words the law protects you from having to deal with a far away giant and you can, through local low level justice courts, get your camera repaired or receive compensation.

This problem is getting way more important than I thought it would ever be! As time goes by more and more reports of camera doors bulging are coming to the light.

I am afraid of taking my camera out of the bag and see that my camera too has started molting .

I had to get my Nikon D700 rubber grip fixed @ Nikon service centre TWICE because it was coming off.  On my old Nikon D200 it was coming off as well, but just a little so I fixed it myself.  But the D700 I had was coming off quite bad and I had to get them to fix it.

It happens.

I am 8 months of heavy usage with my XT1 and so far so good ....

Wow.  I'm 18 months in with the X-T1, over 80,000 images and counting and...... nothing.  Doors close, rubber seems intact.  I hope I don't jinx it now.  

In a couple of weeks I'm heading out a very humid, surrounded by salt water and jungle area to shoot stock.  I'll definitely be using lots of bug spray, and sun screen lotion.  Let's see what the body looks like when I return...

Add another X-T1 owner who (had) the skin issue.  The synthetic rubber parts (skin front and back + door + rubber connector cover on bottom) begin losing structural integrity and swell over time.  Where glue is used, such as the rubber skins,  the swelling breaks the bond with the body.  I believe the root cause is bad formulation of the chemistry used in the manufacture of these parts.

Fujifilm Canada repaired my camera at no cost to me and even arranged for prepaid shipping when they confirmed that not all the skins had been replaced first go around.  I've owned lots of Fuji cameras and this is my first experience with this kind of issue.

Time will tell if the replacements parts used in the repair have the same inherent manufacturing defect.