Anyone having issues reading card media in MacOS 10.15 Catalina?

steveblue

My 32GB SanDisk SD card suddenly stopped showing up on my MacBook Pro the other day. I read a bunch of articles, double checked my finder settings, tried reformatting the SD card in Disk Utility, etc... and no luck. Strange thing is that the SD card works just fine on my Windows computer. But when I insert it into my MacBook Pro, it doesn't register and is unable to mount on Disk Utility. It also doesn't even show up in System Information. I tried connecting my camera directly to the USB as well, and that doesn't work... any guesses on what else might be going on here?

Suuuper frustrating (and odd). Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just ungraded to Big Sur (from Mojave). The  SanDisk 32GB card from my Canon mounts fine in my USB card reader. The same model card coming from my Fuji X-T30 does not show up in Finder. The Mac knows it is there, because when I remove it from the card reader I get the message ["" was removed without dismounting]. The card used to show up as Untitled (or similar) under Mojave but now it doesn't show up at all. (The Canon card gets a name from the camera when it is reformatted). I know I could name the card in the computer, but the name would be wiped on formatting. Does anyone know of a workaround, r if Fuji is revising the firmware to assign a name to the cards? (The card does not even register when inserted into the slot in the back, but that's something I never use)

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2019 at 6:36 AM, steveblue said:

After I upgraded my 2019 MacBook Pro to 10.15 Catalina the Finder and Image Capture both fail to read SDXC cards formatted by the XT-2. The cards are Lexar 128GB Professional 1000x UHS-II SDXC Memory Card. Disk Utility can't repair the card, every app that tries to read from the ExFat formatted cards ends up needing to be Force Quit. I can dual boot into Mohave and read the cards fine using Finder, any app works too in Mohave. I could understand incompatibility with third party apps, but this is ridiculous. I can read from Fat32 formatted Compact Flash fine, but the ExFat formatted SDXC cards fail every time. I am using a Sanyo Hyperdrive to connect the SD card to the MacBook Pro. I called Apple Support only to be put on hold for almost an hour trying to reach support personnel for Creative Professionals and then have Apple hang up on me. I have been a lifelong Apple user, but this is alarming. Anyone else having issues like this in Catalina?

Hi steve, did you fix this issue? I upgraded my iMac 5k to Catalina and have the same thing. Lexar Professional SD HC II cards don't appear. I set up my xt-2 to save shots raw/jpg in SD1 and SD2. The card with jpgs works fine, the other doesn't appear in finder or disk utility 😕

thanks