Fuji lens roadmap and surprises.

Burb

Hi,

Does somebody know if Fuji has released lenses by surprise meaning that they where not on the roadmap before?

I'm considering a wider angle lens, maybe the 14mm Fujinon or the Samyang/Tamron 12mm. The 14mm is already there for a couple of years but don't really have the angle of view that I'm looking for. The Samyang will be great but with limitations and is a bit of a "Spartan" in handling. The Fujinon 10-24 is no option because it will give to much trouble with the Lee Seven5 system. I'm really looking forward to a Fujinon 10 or 12 mm prime. So maybe I'll better stop dreaming and get the Samyang 12mm. ;)

Hi,

Does somebody know if Fuji has released lenses by surprise meaning that they where not on the roadmap before?

[...]

Unless proven wrong, ever since the XF line was brought in existance, I have never seen a lens appearing out of the blue without having some kind of notice on the roadmap.

Hence the reason of the roadmap. There are still some lenses under rumors, like that 33mm F1.0 that might pop suddenly in the market, but I still doubt they would be releasing something without announcing it first, even if it is just a quaterly beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the “ roadmap” has been and is still used mostly as a marketing instrument announcing, beforehand, the lens to come so that people could see that there was a system to come and buy into even before the lens found their way on the marketplace.

With few exceptions ( such as the 56 APD and the two II versions of the 16-50 and the 50-230mm and maybe something else which escapes my mind right now) they have stuck to the program.

Surprises are always possible but they should be limited to minor variation on lenses already on the map since the projecting of a new lens takes a long time of preparatory work.

As for the 12mm.

Well, I have recently sold the 10-24 ( which was the second lens that I’ve bought after the 35mm f1.4, which is also gone in favor of the 18-55mm which covers some of the focal lengths coved by the 10-24 before)  since I used it mostly at 10mm and acquired the 12mm Samyang which has gone to replace the “ void” left by the the ultra-wide zoom.

I am very happy about it and given its depth of field you can pretty much shoot as if the lens was an autofocus one ( which I guess, it is what  JanH calls automatic sharpening?)

Some recent shots made with this lens showed me that it indeed performs as well as the 10-24 did ( for me) and that I was right in including it into my lens panoply.

Of course there are limits to what we can attach to the forums post but even at this size you can see the great performance of the 12mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for your comments, I've decided to go for the Samyang 12 mm (using it for 2 week now) It's really an amazing lens!! It's so much fun and quality for less than half the price of te Fuji 14mm!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!