Strange halo when using Fuji 100-400 with Fuji XT 1.4 extender

severnbore

Hi

I find that when using my Fuji 100-400 lens with the matching 1.4X extender at full reach my photos reveal a sort of halo effect around the subjects as shown in this small section of a recent picture.

The photo was taken a 1/1000th hand held and I have tried keeping the OS on and OS off, but with no difference. I have no problems when not using the extender and get pin sharp pictures throughout the range

Any thoughts and ideas would be welcome

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Are you shooting with the lens at full aperture?

Put that camera on a tripod - heck, you're shooting what is effectively a 600 mm (which I think would be a 900 mm equivalent in 35 mm terms), so trying to hand hold the camera isn't likely to work very well anyway.  Those stationary seagulls don't need 1000th of a second, but lenses generally produce a crisper image when stopped down a bit.

Hi,

Many thanks for your comment which is truly appreciated. However, My aperture was stopped down to f8 and with 1000 and a fairly steady hand I would, from past experience with other long lenses, have expected to get a crisp shot either with or without the excellent OSD provided by Fuji.

Nevertheless I will try using a tripod to check whether that is indeed the problem.

Incidentally, I tried using the Photoshop shake reduction filter to see if that would remove the "halos", but it did not work, perhaps because the algorithm didn't recognise a shake movement?