Fuji Repairs

Neil

Anyone here have some insight into the electronics/innards of a camera and servicing it?

Background.  My 3 month old X-T30 camera fell off of my tripod by Bass Harbor Light in August, lens first (which got the worst of it) and both the lens and camera got a somewhat wet partially in a puddle.  I didn't want to use that lens anyway, and the camera itself seemed to survive the fall and I didn't think it had gotten too wet, so I kept on shooting with it, which was I'm sure, my biggest mistake besides mistracking it in the tripod.

Anyway, the camera worked the rest of the sunset shoot, though some of the buttons weren't working right, but I was able to continue to shoot with a different lens and the pictures came out great.

The next day though, the camera would operate but was still behaving a bit wonky like the night before.  HOWEVER: while I could take pictures with it, and see them on the back screen, nothing was being saved to the SD card.  So I gave it the royal rice treatment for a number of days, figuring the buttons or the circuit board must have some moisture on it.

Question.  Anyway, it never recovered and I sent it to Fujifilm.  The estimate all included was in the $500's though...and I asked them what needed to be fixed.  They said: "The front const will be replaced which includes the front housing, shutter and CCD."  Anyway, they've been nice and I'm tempted to fix it, but it seems weird what they say needs to be replaced given that I would guess it's either the SD interface or something on one of the circuit boards.  Are the innards all one piece?  Why would the CCD and shutter need to be replaced?  Again, besides acting wonky on the buttons, the only "photographic" symptom was that no photos were being saved to the memory card.  I'm contemplating scrapping it, or taking it to a local shop for a second opiinion.  Any thoughts?  (I still have my X-T1, and I just bought an X-H1 for the great sale price, but I did love the small size of the X-T30)

Thanks in advance for any info on repairs...

I assume that in landing on the lens, the lens mount and shutter box got bent a bit out of alignment.

I don't know what they mean by CCD. I'm assuming they're talking about replacing the main board, which includes pretty much all of the electronics. Nearly any problem with electronics will require replacing the main board. That would include problems writing to the SD card.

6 hours ago, Doug Pardee said:

I assume that in landing on the lens, the lens mount and shutter box got bent a bit out of alignment.

I don't know what they mean by CCD. I'm assuming they're talking about replacing the main board, which includes pretty much all of the electronics. Nearly any problem with electronics will require replacing the main board. That would include problems writing to the SD card.

Thanks Doug.  I assume the CCD is the sensor (charge coupled device).  That's one thing that made me wonder about the estimate and why that is being replaced.

Fujifilm doesn't use CCD sensors. Nor do any of the other major manufacturers of consumer cameras. CMOS became the pretty-much universal standard a decade ago.

Furthermore, the manufacturer isn't going to change just the sensor. It's faster, and therefore cheaper. to just replace the main board that contains the sensor and pretty much all of the other electronics. Besides, the sensor wouldn't have any effect on writing to the SD card. That'd probably be an issue with the processor chip or the SD card slot.

Well CCD was what "they" said and I didn't even think about the CMOS issue (which I know as well that most cameras don't use CCD anymore.)  I was more interested in why they were going to change the sensor.

I called them yesterday and there was a mistake in the estimate which has now been remedied so I approved the repair.  They were very nice about it.  Hopefully, all will be working well when I get my equipment back.