WB while shooting CH Mode

JEMay

Tonight while shooting CH mode with a Custom WB, my images' color balance were ALL over the place... Just plain inconsistant. I cannot use a camera like this. I've been very happy the first few weeks, but this is NOT going to work out! I did notice that there is a Firmware update, but there was NO mention of this very bad problem. Any ideals as to this cause. It did the same thing in Auto WB as well...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Unfortunately it's not the camera, it's a light source. It's flickering pretty badly.

Well, I thought of that first, but since I have been shooting these venues since 2004 and NEVER ran across this problem, I freaked! LOL! Is it that this camera is just "super" sensitive to LED and Fluorescence light sources? Shooting Canon's 5D Mark III, I do not get this problem... Weird? I just checked the camera in a controlled room with Tungsten and LED sources. Both were fine and most importantly, consistence. The same with those fluorescence screw in replacements... 95% of the time I strobe the locations, but I was lazy tonight and it "BIT" me. Just wanted to see what the camera could do... I guess I'll be back to carrying both Canon and Fuji and those strobes! LOL... THANK you so much Trenton! Stellar work on your site! Follow the LIGHT...

Well, I thought of that first, but since I have been shooting these venues since 2004 and NEVER ran across this problem, I freaked! LOL! Is it that this camera is just "super" sensitive to LED and Fluorescence light sources? Shooting Canon's 5D Mark III, I do not get this problem... Weird? I just checked the camera in a controlled room with Tungsten and LED sources. Both were fine and most importantly, consistence. The same with those fluorescence screw in replacements... 95% of the time I strobe the locations, but I was lazy tonight and it "BIT" me. Just wanted to see what the camera could do... I guess I'll be back to carrying both Canon and Fuji and those strobes! LOL... THANK you so much Trenton! Stellar work on your site! Follow the LIGHT...

LED sources are fine at 100%, but most of them flicker like crazy when on dimmer. Same applies to most CFLs.

Before you drop the towel, try adjusting your shutter speed in 1/3 increments (using the scroll wheel instead of a dedicated dial), that might cure the problem completely. The only "unfixable" source I've encountered so far was an Eastern European sodium vapor street lights. They flicker so slowly that you actually have to use unbearably slow shutter speeds (1/30 or slower) to avoid banding.

PS: Thanks for the compliment! You've got some great work on your site yourself. Also you have a typo in your web address – your profile points to johneman.net, which doesn't exist (if I understand correctly, your real address is johnemay.net).