Iridient X transformer

I use this to convert my fuij RAW files to DNG. Being a bit of a Luddite, I've never investigated the settings available to me.

Does anyone who uses Iridient make any alterations to the default settings under 'RAW Options' or 'DNG Options' ?

If so, what ?

My images are mainly landscape / travel /nature

• 5 months later...

"I know some do turn off Iridient sharpening in X-Transformer and I chose to allow the user complete control over disabling much of the functionality in X-Transformer, however I feel strongly for most people that turning off sharpening is tossing out perhaps the very best feature of Iridient X-Transformer.

I feel that my Iridient Reveal sharpening algorithm is nearly as critical to the high regarded Iridient image quality as the Iridient demosaics, with Bayer cameras perhaps more so.

X-Transformer doesn't allow the fine control or visual preview of sharpening that Iridient Developer does (or Lightroom), but in my opinion you'll get better end results if you at least use a Low level of Iridient sharpening and rely on less Adobe sharpening later.

Some also feel that Adobe sharpening is partially, if not largely, responsible for "worm" artifacts in Lightroom/ACR, at least without careful customization of the various adjustment options. If "worm" type artifacts are a concern, with X-Trans models especially, this would be another reason to minimize or entirely avoid use of Adobe sharpening.

I realize everyone's preferences can vary widely, sometimes radically, but it definitely makes me cringe every time I see someone advocating for turning off sharpening entirely in X-Transformer as a general recommendation especially if the replacement sharpening is Lightroom's.

I feel less strongly about noise reduction, but there too realize completely turning off noise reduction means absolutely no noise reduction at all and with high ISO images the DNG will be extraordinarily noisy and will definitely require more noise reduction adjustment in later post processing. Often people turn off X-Transformer and then complain about how incredibly noisy the DNGs are compared to RAF. With zero RAW NR high ISO RAW images are extremely noisy and if disabling X-Transformer NR certainly plan on adding more noise reduction later for best results.

Brian Griffith (author of X-Transformer)"

On 11/6/2019 at 12:36 PM, Geoff S said:

I use this to convert my fuij RAW files to DNG. Being a bit of a Luddite, I've never investigated the settings available to me.

Does anyone who uses Iridient make any alterations to the default settings under 'RAW Options' or 'DNG Options' ?

If so, what ?

N.B : I switch off sharpening and noise reduction because I use Neatimage plug-in in Photoshop. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!