Fuji XPro1 in India

Erez

Hi Friends,

I think that this is an interesting conversation.

I admit that the girl in the window is very similar to Steve McCury (which is one of my favorites) photo. I didn't meant to copy him.it just happened.

I was just landed in Mumbai after a long flight, got into a Taxi with the camera on my neck and on the first stop light it happened. I just turned the camera to the window and made one click and then the taxi go.

I guess that similar thing happened to Steve:

Still, it is not exactly the same. I think that Steve's is better :). And also he used Nikon and Kodak chrome.

I agree that as photographers we should be careful not to mimic the iconic photos and be original. Here it was not planned. So, it was produced originally. The only problem is that a very famous master already did it (and much better). Do you suggest me not to show it? I wish we could ask Steve, what he thinks about that…

It's a great capture Erez.  Not one that is easy to get I'd imagine.  I say show it.  We draw inspiration from many sources and sometimes we may produce something that looks similar to another photographer.

The only way I wouldn't show this photo is if you staged it, but I have strong doubts you did.  You most likely didn't even realize it until much later, if ever, that it was similar to McCurry's.  When moments like this happen, you have to capture them and hope that you are able to produce something captivating.  You did that my friend.

Almost everything we shoot has been done before, that's just the reality of the billions of pictures that are taken every year now. Really think what you're doing is unique? Think again.
I like Gregory Heisler and Dan Winters a lot. It's bound to show up in my own work sooner or later, most likely unintentional. We mimic what we like.

And I agree, I like Erez's more too.

A Rainy day in India, hardly unusual, street vendor children or begging children (unfortunately not unusual too) looking in a cab.

People in the cab take pictures, hundreds of them fail, this one was a good one and better than McCurry’s photograph.

Well done, deserve praise for it and you should certainly show it.