Flare Issue - 10-24mm

Antony

Hi All, I recently started using my 10-24mm for a project where there is a lot of shooting in the afternoon with full sun in the frame. In the course of this I discovered that my copy of the 10-24mm exhibits truly terrible flare when shot at smaller apertures. This image was shot at f/11, 10mm. The flare is much less apparent when shooting at wider apertures, where it becomes just a general veil of reduced contrast rather than these specific spots, and so you don't see it in the viewfinder until pressing the shutter release.

I've checked all the usual culprits eg. no filter, clean lens glass etc, but still it remains. I figure the spots may be internal dust (albeit I cant see it) but the magenta and green stripes are something else altogether. Can anyone else duplicate this result?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am sure this is a combination of culprits, ultimately this is an extreme wide-angle zoom with many elements in a complex array it has all the compromises of being an extreme wide angle and a zoom put together.

In that picture which you have shot, the sun falls practically orthogonally into the lens. This is bound to cause internal reflections but also causing dispersion, breaking the light into the spectral wavelengths components, plus the tiny aperture takes care of increasing the lens diffraction causing the milky appearance, loss of contrast and resolution.

I have terrible weather over here ( and will stay like that for days) but I am sure that mine would show similar results under similar circumstances.

I have decided to sell this lens, not on account of any of this “ problems” but the fact that I use it, practically, only at its 10 to 12 mm setting. 

So, I might as well buy a Samsung ( which is credited to have the same sort of problem, so don’t run to conclusions) 12mm and employ the considerable difference to buy other lenses that I might equally well use.

Having said this, the 10-24mm has given me immense pleasure in using it and I have no complaints at all.

Just as Milandro said, I would be super surprised to not have any lens flare at the angle you took the shot. It is good that Fuji isn't violating some laws of physics ;]

[...]I might as well buy a Samsung[...]

I assume you mean Samyang, right ?

oops yes I have no Idea how that went wrong..... :D

Are you looking to buy a new smartphone maybe ? Or even worse, would you comparing the efforts of making lenses by Samyang in the same category as Samsung's attempt to break into the mirrorless world ?

Hi All, I recently started using my 10-24mm for a project where there is a lot of shooting in the afternoon with full sun in the frame. In the course of this I discovered that my copy of the 10-24mm exhibits truly terrible flare when shot at smaller apertures. This image was shot at f/11, 10mm. The flare is much less apparent when shooting at wider apertures, where it becomes just a general veil of reduced contrast rather than these specific spots, and so you don't see it in the viewfinder until pressing the shutter release.

I've checked all the usual culprits eg. no filter, clean lens glass etc, but still it remains. I figure the spots may be internal dust (albeit I cant see it) but the magenta and green stripes are something else altogether. Can anyone else duplicate this result?

Looks pretty bad.

Can anyone else duplicate this result?

10mm f/16 white LED as a front light source, several dust particles added to sensor and to rear lens element.

Funny, I found the best horror happens when frame composes with LED placed on thirds intersections. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!