Fuji 16-80 shutter shock problems

stoneh

Anyone who owns this lens needs to check using MS at shutter speeds between 1/100 and 1/200. Focus on subject atleast 10M, so far ive tried 2 copies and everyone else i know has same problem. Images are soft and blurred. No problems using ES at same SS.  Ive heard a firmware is on its way. It does not affect XH1 but Xt2, XT3, XT20 and XT30 confirmed to exibit the same problem. Please try and confirm if your copy is ok or not.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem on my xt3 and 16-80 lens. I have tested today on two bodies of xt3 and always the same effect. Between 1/80 and 1/200 the picture is blurred. I have tested on tripod and with OIS on and OFF, always the same. If you turn on the Electronic shutter everything is perfect. But I don't think it's something wrong with the lens. On the 18-55 lens we have seen the same issue. IMHO there is a problem with the shutter on XT3 generally.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of others. I recently bought the 16-80. I have done some tests with my X-T2 on the 18-55 and the 16-80 on and off a tripod and with ES and MS for each case, taking three images each time to try to eliminate other variables. I switched the OIS off when the 18-55 was on the tripod but did not switch it off (in the camera settings) for the 16-80. I set both lenses to 23mm and used iso to vary the exposure. The results (dozens of images - took ages) showed that the 18-55 was affected. Some shots were slightly sharper with the electronic shutter. This applied on or off the tripod. The 16-80 was affected more than the 18-55. It does seem to be more sensitive around 1/100 to 1/200th. I didn't expect this result but it explains the somewhat variable results I have been getting. This means that if it is shutter shock then at slow shutter settings, where the vibrations have died down for most of the exposure, and high speeds which are presumably too fast to record the after shocks, the effect will be negligable. So it looks like it could be the shutter. The 16-80 seems to be affected more than the 18-55. I don't yet know if switching the OIS off in camera with the 16-80 helps. it's worth noting that the effect is small. You can see it plainly at 100% magnification on a 100ppi monitor but this would equate to a five foot wide print at that resolution. Still, it is disturbing. Fortunately for most of my photography I can use the electronic shutter. Sony had this trouble with the original A7 and A7R.

• 3 weeks later...

So Fuji released another firmware update on November 11th - 1.02. I haven't got the patience to repeat the exhaustive tests I did before but with some quick tests I believe that the issue has been resolved. The 16-80 now shows no more shutter induced softness than the 18-55 and this is such a small effect that it can only be seen by careful pixel peeping at 100%.