16-55mm: anyone shooting landscapes with it?

Naddan28

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone's shooting landscapes with the 16-55mm lens.  I am off to the lake district in October and thought I might add this to my kitbag to get the benefit of WR but I can't see many landscape samples online from this lens.  Just wondered what people's thoughts were?

Also as an aside, has anyone had any issues printing large (A3+) with this lens, compared to images taken with primes (I normally shoot with a 14mm and 35mm in this range)?

Thanks in advance.

No issues here. It's my do-everything-lens. Performs best at the extreme ends of the range. At 35mm, equals the 35 1.4 and at 16mm equals the 16 1.4 from a pure resolution point of view. Lacks a little behind the 56 1.2 and is roughly equal to the 23 1.4. At the same aperture numbers that is.

The 16-55 is my workhorse during weddings. It delivers in every category. I wouldn't hesitate using it for anything, knowing fairly well that it will prove its worth.

Thanks @Colourix, those Iceland images were just the ticket and helpful to hear good feedback on A2 prints!

Marc it's great to hear the resolution is up there with the Fuji primes, I just wish the XT1 had another 8mp to utilise the quality of the glass the system has.

Marc it's great to hear the resolution is up there with the Fuji primes, I just wish the XT1 had another 8mp to utilise the quality of the glass the system has.

8 more MP will hardly improve resolution at all. That's more a mental thing with users. I didn't see any resolution benefit when Leicas M240 came out. That was a switch from 18 MP to 24 MP. No visible difference. I guess it will be the same with Fujis new sensor.

Both, actually. I didn't print maximum size with the comparison files at the time and I didn't own the M240. It was a test to check my doubt at my leica dealer. Same lens, same tripod position, same aperture, base ISO. 

Sensor resolution, in my opinion, is the most overrated digital camera feature. Ever. Besides, I rarely crop, if at all. Getting stuff right in camera is part of my workflow.

In fact, having better technical ability with photography will get you sharper pictures than 16 vs 24 MP...

I'd much rather see a 16 or 18 MP sensor with better ISO and improved dynamic range.

Thanks for sharing Mark. What experience do you have of printing from you Fuji X? I'm thinking of getting a 16x24 printed, I'm not to worried about technique etc as it was taken at base ISO, 14mm prime, mid aperture and tripod mounted. Any potential issues should therefore limited to the sensor's resolution.

First of all, I'm not used to the inch measurements. Living in Europe, I use cm measurements, so we need to get our calculators out if he want to go on ;)

I printed a 120cm wide print (thats 47 inches wide) with the 10-24 and had no issues. It was hand-held at base ISO and 5.6, taken at my honeymoon.

Biggest issue one can run into is wrong viewing distance. If you get up close to the print with a magnifying glass (I'm obviously exaggerating...) every large print will show weaknesses. When viewed from the proper distance, you can print even larger without the need for a D800 or 5DSr... that being said, the print from my honeymoon looks fine even up close.

Now back to your question regarding the 16x24... thats a 40x60cm print and I wouldn't hesitate at such a size. That's no challenge for the excellent sensor and lens combination.