Fujifilm 23mm F2 R WR out of focus areas looks blurry

Noga

Hey,

So I bought the fuji XT-3 camera and a 23mm F2 R WR lens and the out of focus areas of my picture looks bad, they look blurry and  smeared although I'm shooting on height shutter. Is that the lens out of focus/bokeh quality or is there a problem? I fell like it's not supposed to be like that, it's looks bad.

I took a few pictures to try and show you what i mean. all the photos was taken in open aperture and above 1/125 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I will expect it will look like a nice soft out of focus and not blurry like a low shutter speed smeared movement. You really don't see that the out of focus areas looks bad? like a shoot while walking or something.

Look at the hand, it doesn't look like a normal out of focus, it looks like a low shutter moment blur.
IDK maybe it how it's 
supposed be with this lens, i'm disappointed with this optical performance :(

Edited by Noga

The depth of field is quite small with an open aperture at 2.0. But not small enough to give you a nice buket when there is not enough distance between the major object and the backgroud (or foreground). Try some other motives like flowers to get a feeling for good distances and positions of objects and backgrounds. IMHO the lens is working fine.

Here is another pic with distance Frome the out of focus background. It looks like a blur effect in photoshop. This lens suck, I just moved to Fuji from Nikon and i’m disappointed, with Nikon it looked much better  :( i’m really surprised you don’t see that... but thanks anyway 

I'm still not sure what you are expecting. This is what my X100F with open aperture (23mm, F2.0) looks like when where is bright sunlight in the background:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Try the same shots on 1/125 with electronic shutter enabled. Than try the same shot on mechanical shutter but with speed 1/200 or 1/250  and check the sharpness. I've found that xt3 shots blurry photos on mechanical shutter between 1/80 and 1/200. I try to solve and figure out the problem but for now no new ideas.

• 1 year later...

I purchased this lens about 7 months ago.  I should have returned it as soon as I noticed what the OP sees as well.  There is something very displeasing about the way that it focuses and I do not like it.  Maybe I have a bad copy.  On the positive side, it does fairly well with very close up shots of flowers and things.