Newbie - is X100T right for me?

Hi there,

I've been thinking hard about replacing my Rebel XT DSLR, and got very intrigued several months ago with the X100T.  At the time, it was <$1100 from authorized dealers, and I was foolish enough to think that price was normal.  Now that it's back to $1300 ever where online, it's tougher for me to pull the trigger.  I've never bought a nicer camera from a local retailer, is it common for authorized B&M Fuji dealers to reduce the price significantly?

Anyways, I'm definitely an amateur, but I'd like something smaller than my Canon.  Also, I'm leaving for a trip to Europe on Oct 15th, and a new camera would be fun.  I'm sure there's a learning curve with such a camera, but I've been reading up on a few traditional photography books, and I've also purchased Fujifilm X100S: From Snapshots to Great Shots by Kevin Mullins to learn from. Should I be looking at other cameras in this price range?

Do you guys think the X100T will drop in price (~$1100) from authorized dealers within the next 60 days?  Would a replacement for the X100T be available within 60 days?

I honestly do not think there will be any price drop for the upcoming 60 days.

But keep looking on evilBay, at times some does appear out of thin air at rather good prices.

The X100T will be challenging you in a lot of ways, the good thing is you being an hobbist, your muscle memory isn't as deeply set as it has with some of my colleagues. Anyone who jumped brand can tell you that, it takes time to fight against years of muscle memory.

Also you will be on a fixed focal length with such a camera, if you are already used to shoot using wide angle primes on your Rebel, you will be all fine with the photo composition.

If you are keen on staying with Fuji but just want something smaller, either one of the X-E2, X-M2 and X-A2 might be something to consider, they have the same size as the X100T (roughly) but you keep the possibility of swaping lenses and all 3 of them are under the 1100$ budget line with their kit lens.

That being said, I am far from being an expert on the X100 series model, I handled a X100T for half a day once and decided that I didn't liked the hybrid OVF/EVF but that's just one my quirks, nothing to do with the device itself.

Thanks for the input darknj.

Good point about the fixed focal length.  That will certainly take some getting used to, but I'm somewhat excited about the challenge.  I will check out the X-E2/X-M2/X-A2 as well.

I'd prefer to avoid eBay (love it, just wary of gray-market for items like cameras).

If I have to pay full price, so be it.  Just trying to avoid full price, and see the successor to the X100T come out 30 days later!  :angry:

With the current rumors going, we haven't got anything to chew on with the successor of the X100T, there might be something smaller with a new lens called the X70.

But even that one is rather murky on details. I think a lot of things will be put in place around end of this year. Lots of things are supposed to be happening at that moment.

- Fuji with the X-Pro2 and the X-T2 to follow up a quarter afterward.

- Nikon D5 and maybe the small Nikon V4 which I am personally curious about.

- Sony with Alpha7000, successor of the 6000 version, could be another kick in the anthill from Sony.

So yeah, plenty of things to get released and excited about for the end of this year or early next year.

With the current rumors going, we haven't got anything to chew on with the successor of the X100T, there might be something smaller with a new lens called the X70.

But even that one is rather murky on details. I think a lot of things will be put in place around end of this year. Lots of things are supposed to be happening at that moment.

- Fuji with the X-Pro2 and the X-T2 to follow up a quarter afterward.

- Nikon D5 and maybe the small Nikon V4 which I am personally curious about.

- Sony with Alpha7000, successor of the 6000 version, could be another kick in the anthill from Sony.

So yeah, plenty of things to get released and excited about for the end of this year or early next year.

Very interesting.  I'd be most interested in buying before my trip, so within the next 30-40 days.  Which compact, mirrorless cameras will be coming out in that timeframe <$1500?

I won't tell you it is or isn't a good camera for a hobbyist, but I will tell you how I came to buy mine.

I started out with a Pentax K1000 back in high school and shot B&W film for years, and reignited my passion for photography a couple years ago and got back into all kinds of film and cameras.  I then decided that, given my location, it was more cost effective to buy a digital camera than to continue primarily shooting film and paying for shipping and processing/scanning.  

I'm a hobbyist photographer as well.  I'm no beginner, but I am fairly new to "serious" digital photography.  The X100T was my first "serious" digital camera.  I have learned to love it (didn't take much to convince me  ;) ).  I personally wanted the fixed lens camera, as I feel that limitations such as that force me to get creative.  I have also now become so familiar with the focal length of the camera that I know roughly where I need to stand to get the shot I want before lifting the camera up to my eye.  From a learning perspective, I think starting with limitations like this are important.  My first photography class in high school wouldn't allow any automatic cameras or zooms of any sort.  Full manual, and 50mm lenses only!  You learn how to adapt, and then when you get comfortable with that, you can upgrade into an interchangeable lens camera and branch out.  I feel like I'm getting close to that point myself, but just waiting on what new models Fuji will bring next year.

I guess there is an argument for getting something like an X-E2 with a prime lens on it at first.  Then the transition to other lenses is much cheaper, but I'm fine with my decision to go all out with the X100T.  You might want to weigh the other options against this just to be sure what you like.

Very interesting.  I'd be most interested in buying before my trip, so within the next 30-40 days.  Which compact, mirrorless cameras will be coming out in that timeframe <$1500?

Very had to say, there hasn't been any announcement for things that I would follow or be interested, summer time is a bad moment in the year, nothing really earth shattering gets released as most companies are preparing for the end of year period or some event like Photokina, also what are you actually looking as a camera ? ie. What are you shooting ? Or plan to shoot ?

Different people will give you different advice based off their personal knowledge/experience.

Fuji is rather good in a sense, they usually let some information be leaked to the general market and their release plan is well updated with months in advance, giving us the time and anticipation for that lens or camera body.

There is currently a plethora of cameras for all tastes and all kind of needs, most of those released within the last 2-3 years will be producing pleasant enough picture for the general public. Now if you start getting picky about things, that's where the hunting start, sort out your priorities (weight/size, lenses availability, IBIS or OIS, EVF or OVF,...) pick the top 3 features you want and seek around about which brand can offer you something akin to what you want.

Sensor size is also something you have to keep in mind when picking a new camera

Do keep in mind that the perfect camera doesn't exist. What's perfect for one, wouldn't be for the other. The Fuji X-T1 is a very good example, the camera got plenty of critically good reviews and a fair number of "Not for me" reviews, this was mostly due to the handling. If you were a Canikon user, the X-T1 feels completely alien in your hands, you have to fight quite hard against your muscle memory to get into the new camera. 

The X100T which can be considered as the grand daddy of the X-T1 is also the same, but since the camera was already so alien to begin with, the bunch that got it already knew that they would need some working before getting to a decent usage degree.

You might want to take a look here for some rumored releases but it is to be taken with some heavy grains of salt.

I won't tell you it is or isn't a good camera for a hobbyist, but I will tell you how I came to buy mine.

I started out with a Pentax K1000 back in high school and shot B&W film for years, and reignited my passion for photography a couple years ago and got back into all kinds of film and cameras.  I then decided that, given my location, it was more cost effective to buy a digital camera than to continue primarily shooting film and paying for shipping and processing/scanning.  

I'm a hobbyist photographer as well.  I'm no beginner, but I am fairly new to "serious" digital photography.  The X100T was my first "serious" digital camera.  I have learned to love it (didn't take much to convince me  ;) ).  I personally wanted the fixed lens camera, as I feel that limitations such as that force me to get creative.  I have also now become so familiar with the focal length of the camera that I know roughly where I need to stand to get the shot I want before lifting the camera up to my eye.  From a learning perspective, I think starting with limitations like this are important.  My first photography class in high school wouldn't allow any automatic cameras or zooms of any sort.  Full manual, and 50mm lenses only!  You learn how to adapt, and then when you get comfortable with that, you can upgrade into an interchangeable lens camera and branch out.  I feel like I'm getting close to that point myself, but just waiting on what new models Fuji will bring next year.

I guess there is an argument for getting something like an X-E2 with a prime lens on it at first.  Then the transition to other lenses is much cheaper, but I'm fine with my decision to go all out with the X100T.  You might want to weigh the other options against this just to be sure what you like.

Good info.  I honestly can't see myself itching for multiple lenses.  But I guess it's only a matter of time before the sickness takes over ;)

Very had to say, there hasn't been any announcement for things that I would follow or be interested, summer time is a bad moment in the year, nothing really earth shattering gets released as most companies are preparing for the end of year period or some event like Photokina, also what are you actually looking as a camera ? ie. What are you shooting ? Or plan to shoot ?

Different people will give you different advice based off their personal knowledge/experience.

Fuji is rather good in a sense, they usually let some information be leaked to the general market and their release plan is well updated with months in advance, giving us the time and anticipation for that lens or camera body.

There is currently a plethora of cameras for all tastes and all kind of needs, most of those released within the last 2-3 years will be producing pleasant enough picture for the general public. Now if you start getting picky about things, that's where the hunting start, sort out your priorities (weight/size, lenses availability, IBIS or OIS, EVF or OVF,...) pick the top 3 features you want and seek around about which brand can offer you something akin to what you want.

Sensor size is also something you have to keep in mind when picking a new camera

Do keep in mind that the perfect camera doesn't exist. What's perfect for one, wouldn't be for the other. The Fuji X-T1 is a very good example, the camera got plenty of critically good reviews and a fair number of "Not for me" reviews, this was mostly due to the handling. If you were a Canikon user, the X-T1 feels completely alien in your hands, you have to fight quite hard against your muscle memory to get into the new camera. 

The X100T which can be considered as the grand daddy of the X-T1 is also the same, but since the camera was already so alien to begin with, the bunch that got it already knew that they would need some working before getting to a decent usage degree.

You might want to take a look here for some rumored releases but it is to be taken with some heavy grains of salt.

Thanks for the link. Besides my upcoming European trip, my main use out of the camera would be for shooting pics of my kids and similar.  Sure, I may get a little bug for some nature-themed shots, but that's not my main point of getting a new camera.  I want something small, with advanced point-and-shoot features, but still some manual control.  I would like for it to be relevant for 5+ years, similar to the mileage I got from my Rebel XT.  Hard to believe I've had that XT for 10 years now!  After 10 years with a DSLR, the size just really bothers me.

Good info.  I honestly can't see myself itching for multiple lenses.  But I guess it's only a matter of time before the sickness takes over ;)

Thanks for the link. Besides my upcoming European trip, my main use out of the camera would be for shooting pics of my kids and similar.  Sure, I may get a little bug for some nature-themed shots, but that's not my main point of getting a new camera.  I want something small, with advanced point-and-shoot features, but still some manual control.  I would like for it to be relevant for 5+ years, similar to the mileage I got from my Rebel XT.  Hard to believe I've had that XT for 10 years now!  After 10 years with a DSLR, the size just really bothers me.

The Sony A6000 might something you would want to look at then. Sepcially if you have young child that don't stay static for much. 24 MP also on APS-C sensor size, really fast AF and reliable too, it was considered by many as the ultimate all rounder of 2014 at its release and it's still one of the most sold body of that year. It offers a nice balance of full control and laid back settings should you just want to use it as a point and shoot, cost around 800$ with basic lens kit.

If it's so good, why didn't I picked it up ? Well first of all, I wanted something where I would have full control, if the pictures sucks it would be because I messed up, and really great quality on lenses. That stirred me toward Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mk II at first and then I discovered the X-T1 and that's where I am currently.

The drawbacks I, personally, would have with the Sony A6000 are:

- I don't really like Sony lenses, no specific reasons but they just don't work with me.

- The JPEGs out of the camera are rather bland and kinda tasteless when compared to those of Fuji, even with 8 PM in differences the Fuji Jpegs always look more eye pleasing then Sony's.

- I got super spoiled by the X-T1 super large EVF and its quality, it would be pretty much impossible for me to go back to something of lesser size and quality.

Last thing, any camera can last 5 years nowadays, it's just a matter of not having GAS. My X-T1 does have some short comings, would I replace it when the X-T2 gets released ? Unlikely, the camera does everything I want it to do and with bravo. Even several month after acquisition I still marvel at the quality of the Jpegs, I am still impressed at what it is capable of doing on a whole range of situations, in overall, I get the feeling that I could use my Fuji until the day it breaks down before thinking of replacing it.

Quick note, the replacement of the Sony A6000 (Sonya A7000 or A6100) should be released around end of year, we got a small thread about it on the forum as it could delay the release of the Fuji X-Pro2 camera since they are going to use the same sensor.

The Sony A6000 might something you would want to look at then. Sepcially if you have young child that don't stay static for much. 24 MP also on APS-C sensor size, really fast AF and reliable too, it was considered by many as the ultimate all rounder of 2014 at its release and it's still one of the most sold body of that year. It offers a nice balance of full control and laid back settings should you just want to use it as a point and shoot, cost around 800$ with basic lens kit.

If it's so good, why didn't I picked it up ? Well first of all, I wanted something where I would have full control, if the pictures sucks it would be because I messed up, and really great quality on lenses. That stirred me toward Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mk II at first and then I discovered the X-T1 and that's where I am currently.

The drawbacks I, personally, would have with the Sony A6000 are:

- I don't really like Sony lenses, no specific reasons but they just don't work with me.

- The JPEGs out of the camera are rather bland and kinda tasteless when compared to those of Fuji, even with 8 PM in differences the Fuji Jpegs always look more eye pleasing then Sony's.

- I got super spoiled by the X-T1 super large EVF and its quality, it would be pretty much impossible for me to go back to something of lesser size and quality.

Last thing, any camera can last 5 years nowadays, it's just a matter of not having GAS. My X-T1 does have some short comings, would I replace it when the X-T2 gets released ? Unlikely, the camera does everything I want it to do and with bravo. Even several month after acquisition I still marvel at the quality of the Jpegs, I am still impressed at what it is capable of doing on a whole range of situations, in overall, I get the feeling that I could use my Fuji until the day it breaks down before thinking of replacing it.

Quick note, the replacement of the Sony A6000 (Sonya A7000 or A6100) should be released around end of year, we got a small thread about it on the forum as it could delay the release of the Fuji X-Pro2 camera since they are going to use the same sensor.

The A6000 does sound interesting, and I appreciate your concerns about the lenses and JPEGs.  It does seem to be about half the price of the X100T.

I have the x100T and find it the camera I reach for first because it is the most fun to shoot. (I have full frame, APS-C and 1-inch sensor cameras as well.)

Something you may want to consider if you find the x100T is a fit for you, is that there are two conversion lenses available for that camera if you find you want something more than the 35mm equivalent focal length. The WCL-X100 wide conversion lens would give you a 28mm equivalent field of view and the TCL-X100 would give you a 50mm field of view. The X100T and these 2 conversion lenses make for nice, small portable kit. I've done some nice portraits with the fixed 35mm lens and the 50mm TCL and nice landscapes with the 28mm WCL.

These conversion lenses could be added when you felt the need for more than the 35mm and would give you some flexibility when shooting. You won't have the flexibility of an interchangeable lens camera, but you won't have the cost & weight of adding lenses either.

I have the x100T and find it the camera I reach for first because it is the most fun to shoot. (I have full frame, APS-C and 1-inch sensor cameras as well.)

Something you may want to consider if you find the x100T is a fit for you, is that there are two conversion lenses available for that camera if you find you want something more than the 35mm equivalent focal length. The WCL-X100 wide conversion lens would give you a 28mm equivalent field of view and the TCL-X100 would give you a 50mm field of view. The X100T and these 2 conversion lenses make for nice, small portable kit. I've done some nice portraits with the fixed 35mm lens and the 50mm TCL and nice landscapes with the 28mm WCL.

These conversion lenses could be added when you felt the need for more than the 35mm and would give you some flexibility when shooting. You won't have the flexibility of an interchangeable lens camera, but you won't have the cost & weight of adding lenses either.

That is very good to know.  Man you guys are really tempting me for this camera.  Must....resist... unless I see a killer deal :)

[...] The WCL-X100 wide conversion lens would give you a 28mm equivalent field of view and the TCL-X100 would give you a 50mm field of view. The X100T and these 2 conversion lenses make for nice, small portable kit. I've done some nice portraits with the fixed 35mm lens and the 50mm TCL and nice landscapes with the 28mm WCL.[...]

Side question about those conversion lenses, I know they are made by Fuji, so quality is assured but is there any kind of drawback to them ? Like the final picture getting a tad bit of softness like when you use a lens filter ?

Or Fuji is indeed delvering something amazing the keeps the same sharpness while having more glass in between ?

That is very good to know.  Man you guys are really tempting me for this camera.  Must....resist... unless I see a killer deal :)

If you want a solid piece of advice, try to find a rental shop where you live or one that don't mind shipping to your area and get it for the week-end, it could cost around 100$ but at least you would have it for a small amount of time and play enough with it to take a good decision as if it seems to be like what you are expecting it or not at all.

If you want a solid piece of advice, try to find a rental shop where you live or one that don't mind shipping to your area and get it for the week-end, it could cost around 100$ but at least you would have it for a small amount of time and play enough with it to take a good decision as if it seems to be like what you are expecting it or not at all.

Since my only experience is with a 10 year old Canon DSLR, I can't imagine there would be anything unappealing about the Fuji X line?  I don't have much muscle memory or bad habits to break ;)  Unlike most, I don't have a predetermined preference for Sony/Canon/Nikon, etc. But I do appreciate the suggestion and will call around my local shops.

Since my only experience is with a 10 year old Canon DSLR, I can't imagine there would be anything unappealing about the Fuji X line?  I don't have much muscle memory or bad habits to break ;)  Unlike most, I don't have a predetermined preference for Sony/Canon/Nikon, etc. But I do appreciate the suggestion and will call around my local shops.

I am a believer that you need to hold something in your hands to know if you would like it or not. I wasn't certain if the X-T1 would be something I would like to use before I held it. The same applies for a lot things I use on daily basis.

Since I can only give you advices based on my personal experience, that advice does sounds like the best thing to do, specially if you are still uncertain yourself.

Fuji make great bodies and superbe lenses, but I will not hesitate to advice other brands if the other party is doing something that you consider important in a better way.

On the two conversions lenses (WCL-X100 & TCL-X100): I find the quality and sharpness in my use very good to great when using them for what a family- or enthusiast-photographer might photograph. If you are a fine art photographer, you could still use these, but you would get ultimate sharpness and quality with Fuji's prime & zoom lenses for their  interchangeable lens cameras (X-T1, XPro1, XE-2, etc.). 

There are lots of reviews out there about these conversion lenses from both review sites and user reviews. Links below are to two reviews from Imaging Resource. I included them not because they are definitive, but because they'll give you a good feel for the lenses and how they might work for you. 

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/06/19/fujifilm-wcl-x100-review-we-test-the-wide-angle-conversion-lens-x100s

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/05/02/fuji-tcl-x100-review-the-new-king-of-teleconverters

For me, the X100T is a great camera to carry and use with a flexible field of view (35mm equivalent). I use both the OVF and the EVF and love having the option of the OVF. I haven't use a Canon Rebel, but I assume they have an OVF, so the X100T's OVF should feel comfortable in use and with the EVF available, you can either transition to using that or switch between the two (as I do) as your shooting situation warrants.

The two conversion lenses extend this capability, allowing you to buy the X100T now and, if needed, add the conversion lens or lenses later, all while have a small, light weight kit to carry around.

The thing I ask myself when I go out the door (or when I'm packing to travel somewhere) is: how much am I willing to carry?

Hope this helps.

On the two conversions lenses (WCL-X100 & TCL-X100): I find the quality and sharpness in my use very good to great when using them for what a family- or enthusiast-photographer might photograph. If you are a fine art photographer, you could still use these, but you would get ultimate sharpness and quality with Fuji's prime & zoom lenses for their  interchangeable lens cameras (X-T1, XPro1, XE-2, etc.). 

There are lots of reviews out there about these conversion lenses from both review sites and user reviews. Links below are to two reviews from Imaging Resource. I included them not because they are definitive, but because they'll give you a good feel for the lenses and how they might work for you. 

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/06/19/fujifilm-wcl-x100-review-we-test-the-wide-angle-conversion-lens-x100s

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/05/02/fuji-tcl-x100-review-the-new-king-of-teleconverters

For me, the X100T is a great camera to carry and use with a flexible field of view (35mm equivalent). I use both the OVF and the EVF and love having the option of the OVF. I haven't use a Canon Rebel, but I assume they have an OVF, so the X100T's OVF should feel comfortable in use and with the EVF available, you can either transition to using that or switch between the two (as I do) as your shooting situation warrants.

The two conversion lenses extend this capability, allowing you to buy the X100T now and, if needed, add the conversion lens or lenses later, all while have a small, light weight kit to carry around.

The thing I ask myself when I go out the door (or when I'm packing to travel somewhere) is: how much am I willing to carry?

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the details, it is much appreciated.

As for the camera itself, I do not think I will be getting any of the X100 series for myself, I am way too deep into practicability with my gear. It's not the prime lens that blocks me, heck if I could I would be shooting primes for everything, but it's the fact that even if I wanted to do something else, I wouldn't be able to with that body.

On my X-T1, I can get the same effect but at a compromise of size and weight, which is acceptable since the body is already lighter than most DSLR to begin with.

Thank you also for the reviews of the converters, I have been curious about them and was always wondering if they were of actual uses or just gimmicks that fake some possibilities.

I bought the X100S as soon as it was announced and received it just in time for my trip to Europe 2 years ago. I have been very happy with it and it is still the camera I take with me on travel. It has gone with me on 4 trips to Europe and numerous other camping trips to Yosemite and California state parks.

The camera is not cheap new from authorized reseller, but its [lack of ]weight and size enabled me to capture a lot of images I would have skipped if I had other cameras instead. 

I bought the two converters from local Craiglisters at good prices, but I find myself too lazy to put them on while on travel.

If you are adventurous, you might want to check out if craiglisters in your area are dumping X100s or T only because they don't appreciate the fixes lens. I have seen them listed in the Los Angeles areas for $650 (S) and $1050 (T). 

Hi again everyone.  I'm about a month or less out from pulling the trigger on something.  

Should I be considering the Sony RX100 mkIV vs. the X100T? I think I'd like the "robustness" of the Fuji, and it seems more like a camera to treasure for 10 years, vs. the Sony which might seem more like a "gadget"?

Keep in mind, probably 50% of my photos will involve something with my kids (ages 2 & 4), so I'm starting to worry about the lack of zoom.  Sometimes you can't get too close to the kids to capture the moment without distracting them.

Is the X-100T right for you?

Mmmm - don;t know - but it IS right for me, and for the following reasons:

Despite my big hands (I've had a post about camera bodies for big hands), it fights my hands like a glove.

Despie this, I can actually put it in the pocket of my jeans - seriously, just so compactly designed! It goes every where with me.

I love the 1/32000th top shutter speed on a really bright - saves you carrying a bunchof ND filters!

Love the aperture ring - it makes this (along with nearly all other X cameras) a true manual users camera (no program modes for this user - just ISO, aperture and shutter in varying combinations)

So customisable - once configured for how you like to work - almost becomes a case of taking camera out of your pocket, pointing and shooting!

W/A lens and the panoramic feature make it great for recording a variety of landscapes and cityscapes.

Lens still great for portraits and street photography - see Damien Lovegrove for excellent examples

Nothing else to take with you except for battery charger and spare memory cards - and some wheere to store all the images until return

Like all other Fuji X cameras, it challenges you to think through your images before you press the shutter - no spray and pray with these cameras.

Oh - and AMAZING IQ! Thought that might be important...

And finally - it makes photography fun again :-)

Is the X-100T right for you?

Mmmm - don;t know - but it IS right for me, and for the following reasons:

Despite my big hands (I've had a post about camera bodies for big hands), it fights my hands like a glove.

Despie this, I can actually put it in the pocket of my jeans - seriously, just so compactly designed! It goes every where with me.

I love the 1/32000th top shutter speed on a really bright - saves you carrying a bunchof ND filters!

Love the aperture ring - it makes this (along with nearly all other X cameras) a true manual users camera (no program modes for this user - just ISO, aperture and shutter in varying combinations)

So customisable - once configured for how you like to work - almost becomes a case of taking camera out of your pocket, pointing and shooting!

W/A lens and the panoramic feature make it great for recording a variety of landscapes and cityscapes.

Lens still great for portraits and street photography - see Damien Lovegrove for excellent examples

Nothing else to take with you except for battery charger and spare memory cards - and some wheere to store all the images until return

Like all other Fuji X cameras, it challenges you to think through your images before you press the shutter - no spray and pray with these cameras.

Oh - and AMAZING IQ! Thought that might be important...

And finally - it makes photography fun again :-)

Thank you for that input!

I guess you bring up a good point.. photography style.  I do virtually zero post production editing.  Mainly cause I don't have time (and kids!). Which means I try to get a great shot every time, even if my main camera now is the iPhone 6 Plus.  I take one, max 2 shots of anything, i.e. no spray and pray. Which makes me think I might be OK with a X100T.

I literally just stumbled across this comment by Ken Rockwall comparing the Sony RX100 mkIV vs. X100T:

The Fuji X100T continues to reign as the world's best digital camera, period. It's a tougher, better made camera with a much larger sensor and a faster lens.

The Sony RX100 is a pocket camera with a small ("one inch," 3x crop factor) sensor and not as good in low light, while the X100T is a serious camera with a full-sized 1.5x cropped DSLR sensor with four times the sensor area of the Sony.

The Sony RX100 is lightweight Chinese-made pocket camera for casual use, while the MADE-IN-JAPAN Fuji X100T is a very serious piece of photographic iron — that's also super small.

I have both the Fuji X100T & the Sony Rx100m3 (functionally the same as the rx100m4, with the same pop up viewfinder & 24-70mm zoom range; the rx100m4 does have slightly improved specifications).

The sony is quite a bit smaller than the fuji, so if you value small size, less weight & bulk, and pocketability it can be a good choice. I own both the rx100m1 & m3 versions and have taken many wonderful photos with both the rx100m1 & m3 versions. The zoom on the Sony is 24-70mm, and while helpful, it is only 2x the reach (field of view) of the Fuji X100T.

If, like me, you have medium to large hands & fingers, you'll find that the Sony RX100m/4 will often have you contorting you're fingers in odd ways to hold the camera & change settings. The Fuji X100T will not.

The sony rx100m1 (first version) was a great camera for the reasons above until the lens started grinding when it extended or retracted. I've read elsewhere that others have experienced this too. I've never gotten dirt or anything else around the lens assembly. I'm very careful with my cameras. I'm not happy that I now have a $750 paperweight (original price of that model). I bought the rx100m3 version for the pop-up viewfinder and bought it before the grinding on the rx100m1 started.

If you handle the rx100m3/m4 pop-up viewfinder, you'll find that it feels very fragile, much more so that the robust feeling of the extending lens assembly. The viewfinder is also much smaller than the X100T.

Because of these issues, I would not buy the Sony Rx100 series again.

All in all, the X100T is a much more useful, easier to handle, more fun camera to photograph with than the Sony Rx100m3/m4. It is more robust in it's build quality and doesn't have the moving parts that can fail (viewfinder & lens assembly). It has the larger APS-C Fuji sensor compared to the Sony's nominal 1-inch sensor, which, for me, renders better detail. For the increase in size and the difference in cost ($948 vs $1299, current retail), you'll have a camera that will serve your stated needs for years to come.

And should you later find a need, you can always add one or both of the conversion lenses (28mm & 50mm equivalents).

[...]

I literally just stumbled across this comment by Ken Rockwall comparing the Sony RX100 mkIV vs. X100T:

As prestigious Ken Rockwell's review is about the X100T, I would still take most of his words with a heavy grain of salt. He has shown in past that his mind does flickers quite often between a generation and the next.

Just read his review of the X-T1 and then the X-T10, both are essentially the same camera with minor tweaks and less monetary worth. In his mind the X-T10 is akin to a flying piece of turd (dramatisation).

I have both the Fuji X100T & the Sony Rx100m3 (functionally the same as the rx100m4, with the same pop up viewfinder & 24-70mm zoom range; the rx100m4 does have slightly improved specifications).

The sony is quite a bit smaller than the fuji, so if you value small size, less weight & bulk, and pocketability it can be a good choice. I own both the rx100m1 & m3 versions and have taken many wonderful photos with both the rx100m1 & m3 versions. The zoom on the Sony is 24-70mm, and while helpful, it is only 2x the reach (field of view) of the Fuji X100T.

If, like me, you have medium to large hands & fingers, you'll find that the Sony RX100m/4 will often have you contorting you're fingers in odd ways to hold the camera & change settings. The Fuji X100T will not.

The sony rx100m1 (first version) was a great camera for the reasons above until the lens started grinding when it extended or retracted. I've read elsewhere that others have experienced this too. I've never gotten dirt or anything else around the lens assembly. I'm very careful with my cameras. I'm not happy that I now have a $750 paperweight (original price of that model). I bought the rx100m3 version for the pop-up viewfinder and bought it before the grinding on the rx100m1 started.

If you handle the rx100m3/m4 pop-up viewfinder, you'll find that it feels very fragile, much more so that the robust feeling of the extending lens assembly. The viewfinder is also much smaller than the X100T.

Because of these issues, I would not buy the Sony Rx100 series again.

All in all, the X100T is a much more useful, easier to handle, more fun camera to photograph with than the Sony Rx100m3/m4. It is more robust in it's build quality and doesn't have the moving parts that can fail (viewfinder & lens assembly). It has the larger APS-C Fuji sensor compared to the Sony's nominal 1-inch sensor, which, for me, renders better detail. For the increase in size and the difference in cost ($948 vs $1299, current retail), you'll have a camera that will serve your stated needs for years to come.

And should you later find a need, you can always add one or both of the conversion lenses (28mm & 50mm equivalents).

Great report!  My hands are small, but I can appreciate the better build quality and ergonomics of the Fuji.

As prestigious Ken Rockwell's review is about the X100T, I would still take most of his words with a heavy grain of salt. He has shown in past that his mind does flickers quite often between a generation and the next.

Just read his review of the X-T1 and then the X-T10, both are essentially the same camera with minor tweaks and less monetary worth. In his mind the X-T10 is akin to a flying piece of turd (dramatisation).

Ha, good to know.  Ken sure is passionate!

If you happen to start your trip in Switzerland, the X100t generally sells here online for less than CHF 1000 (USD ~1060).

Interesting!  This time we will likely not be stopping in Switzerland.  I did a similar trip in 2011 and spent a day in Switzerland.  Loved the beauty, but the high prices on everything from food to lodging made me avoid it this time, in favor of Bavaria/Austria.  Really ironic that the camera is cheaper in what I consider one of the most expensive places I've traveled to.

So, I'm still looking for a good price on a silver X100T (new) via an authorized retailer.  Overstock was offering 5% off, but now they're out of the silver version.