Fujifilm X200 Rumors

Patrick FR

I'm looking forward to the next generation. I'm not too picky about the resolution, but cleaner high ISO never hurts, and I'd like to see a higher native ISO. I'm happy with the IQ at 6400, but since Fuji's ISO meters a little darker than other brands, I'd like to be able to push it farther in RAW.

Please give the next X100 the larger f/1.4 lens that someone dream of. Then I can keep my X100T without any need to buy the new, over-bulky one. 

I wonder what it would look like if they did develop one. The 23mm 1.4 is a pretty beefy lens. I know they could recess a lot more of it into the body because it'll be built-in, and they'd probably be okay with sacrificing some corner performance (wouldn't bother me), but I'd be really curious to see how it would actually look.

I'd really like an X100T, but a lot of my shooting is in bars/restaurants and at night, and I'm at 1.4 the majority of the time. I wouldn't turn down a current X100, but 1.4 would make a big difference for me.

The X100T is a great camera as-is.  However, I'd like to see these improvements in the next iteration.

- Weather sealed

- Faster AF

- Depth of field scale on lens

- Better MF ring feel

- Better high ISO performance above 6400

- Dedicated ISO dial stacked on either the shutter or EV dial

- f1.4 would be nice but unlikely due to size increase, so f1.7

- A bump in resolution

- Dedicated SD card slot on the side.

I'd also love to see Fuji offer a 28mm and 50mm native versions similar to what Sigma does with it's DP Merrill series.  The conversion lenses are great but switching lenses is a two step process of physically changing the lens and setting it up in the menu which makes fast lens changes in the field non-practical.  Personally, I'd rather use multiple cameras.

in the "lens for X-100T sucessor" poll I miss something like a dual focus lens, comparable to the Leica Tri Elmars.

I'd love to have a 2.8/23+60mm dual focus lens with Macro function at 60mm.

That would be the perfect reportage camera.

nimix

It would be very interesting if Fuji came out with a faster (maybe slightly larger) 23mm lens on the new X100 (f1.7/1.8). The popularity of the Leica Q suggests slightly larger fixed lens cameras aren't a turn off for most. Let the X70 be the pocketable, discreet 23mm for the street.

I think a new faster lens would give some weight to the X70 rumour and possibly indicate that the X100 line could split into two!

This gives us a pro and enthusiast choice for SLR style body (X-T1 and X-10), rangefinder style (X-Pro2 and X-E2) and fixed lens rangefinder (X100x and X70)...

It would be very interesting if Fuji came out with a faster (maybe slightly larger) 23mm lens on the new X100 (f1.7/1.8). The popularity of the Leica Q suggests slightly larger fixed lens cameras aren't a turn off for most. Let the X70 be the pocketable, discreet 23mm for the street.

I think a new faster lens would give some weight to the X70 rumour and possibly indicate that the X100 line could split into two!

This gives us a pro and enthusiast choice for SLR style body (X-T1 and X-10), rangefinder style (X-Pro2 and X-E2) and fixed lens rangefinder (X100x and X70)...

This actually makes a fair bit of sense - business wise and user wise.

Other manufactureres have been doing this for a while - why not Fuji?

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the reportage! The 28mm (~43mm effective) fov will be fantastic. I guess they can fit a variant XF 27mm f/2.8. Lets hope for a f/2 or wider and adjustable viewfinder magnification; even better if it comes with weather sealing.

As far as I understood the rumor the lens is 28 mm effective.

That means, that it is a 18.5 mm lens like the lens on the X70.

The 23mm lens of the X100T results in an angle of view of 63.4°

The 18.5mm lens of the rumored X200 results in an angle of view of about 75° (own calculations)

That means that if you take a picture with a 23mm lens things appear about 1.24 times higher (and 1.24 time wider) than if you take the same picture with a 18.5mm lens on the same sensor size (own calculations using tan of half the angle of view).

If you divide 24 megapixels by (1.24 x 1.24) you get about 15.6 megapixels.

That means that the resolution of the X200 using the 23mm digital converter (35mm in 35mm format equivalent) is about the same as the resolution of the original X100T.

If you set the digital converter to 33mm (50mm in 35mm format equivalent) the resolution drops to about 7.5 megapixels.

Just my 2 cents to the digital converter.

As far as I understood the rumor the lens is 28 mm effective.

That means, that it is a 18.5 mm lens like the lens on the X70.

Thanks for pointing that out, Rauchbier. I am sure they have a market for the 28mm effective fov, but I would prefer ~43mm effective fov with 1x viewfinder magnification. I recently traded my aging Leica M9 and some glass for the Leica Q. I returned the Q after a week because I did not find its 28mm effective fov good for anything except landscape since I don't do street photography. It has 35mm and 50mm frames but they are crops and cost resolution. Q is a good camera, just not for me. In fact, I find the XF 27mm f/2.8 and X-E2 combination almost ideal for casual shooting. With electronic shutter via firmware version 4.0 on X-E2, X100T has become redundant and I probably will be trading it towards the remaining balance on my preordered X-Pro2.

Cheers.

T-Man

• 2 months later...

Perhaps a pancake 23mm f/2 "R" in XF with weather sealing? Can't be much larger than X100's lens; will be smaller than the 23mm f/1.4 R.

If by not much larger you mean both the inside half and outside half combined on top of a lens mount, then sure. :rolleyes:

But this topic is about the X200, and personally i'm hoping for the same lens, but with close range correction, a.k.a. a floating element. To keep its character, but maintain performance across the whole focusing range.

I don't mind adding a few millimeters if that means they can add a proper manual focus mechanism, or possibly a standard filter-thread.

I don't think it would be good to go 28mm equiv, you'd need to get very close to get right in the moment (something that i think the X100 is meant to do), or shoot only wide angles, which is not often ideal. Of course sometimes it is, but not as the only option. While the WCL is a greatly underrated addition that offers that already. It works perfectly with almost no quality degradation. Looking at the optical construction with the WCL attached you can see why, it looks almost like it was designed like that. The TCL on the other hand, not so much. A very unnatural looking lens projection, not bad in performance per se, but not very attractive, and way darker than it could be.

The best thing i think would be a second body option, with a 35mm F1.7 (50mm equiv) or similar, much like the classic Yashica Electro 35. And a larger magnification OVF to match. I think that would be a huge success. Possibly as much of a game-changer as the original X100 was. With the Ricoh GR, Nikon A, Leica Q, and now X70 all going wide. Let us hope Fuji has seen the light, and use it to fill that huge void in the market that is a 50mm equiv fixed lens camera.

The best thing i think would be a second body option, with a 35mm F1.7 (50mm equiv) or similar, much like the classic Yashica Electro 35. And a larger magnification OVF to match. I think that would be a huge success. Possibly as much of a game-changer as the original X100 was. With the Ricoh GR, Nikon A, Leica Q, and now X70 all going wide. Let us hope Fuji has seen the light, and use it to fill that huge void in the market that is a 50mm equiv fixed lens camera.

I'd LOVE for Fuji to come out with a 50mm FF equivalent fixed lens camera that was also WR.