Flickr Popularity of X-Pro1 Vs X-T1

adzman808

So I own both an XT1 and XP1.

My photographic ability (or lack of, whatever) is the same with each camera

The way I PP is the same with each camera

The things I take snaps of is the same with each camera.

I'm the constant.

Yet, on Flickr my XT1 shots are tangibly more popular than my XP1 ones (neither are that popular, anything over 100 views and 4 favs is a good run for me, to quantify that, I haven't cultivated a colossal number of followers, nor do I put a lot of pics in a lot of groups, THIS IS NOT ABOUT BEING MORE POPULAR ON FLICKR, I just wonder why my 140ish followers find my XT1 ones more palatable than my XP1 ones)

And I can't begin to guess why this might be?

Anyone any theories? (It has been suggested to me that 'X-T1' might be the more popular tag)

@Aswald,

It depends very much on what I'm taking pictures off. My XP1 lives on manual focus (and Fuji glass) the XT is for when decent AF is important to me

As I doubt that I'm a better or worse photog (it would be hard to be a worse photog, but damn I'm giving it my best shot!!!) with either camera, nor does my subject vary much between the two, I don't understand why one camera gets more Flickr hits than the other...

I take the point that the XT is newer, but it's not exactly just out, in fact IMHO, all the global XP1 deals might very well mean people are searching for images to appraise to decide if it's for them or not...

It's a combination of camera and lens. Almost all of my all-time top-viewed images (with more than 40k views each) were taken with the X-T1 and the XF56mm. Simple SOOC JPEG samples, nothing fancy. 

Currently, almost all of my daily top-view pics were taken with the X-T10. 

Well I think it's the tagging...

I stuck 4 shots on flickr yesterday, 2 from each camera. I didn't hide the exif, I just didn't tag them with anything that indicated which camera or lens they were shot with.

They've had about the same amount of attention as each other.

If fact they've had a pitiful amount of attention, compared to my usual >100 views... This makes me think that Flickr users are more interested in cameras than pictures :)

@Flysurfer, some of my biggest hits and most 'interesting' flickr shots were taken with a Fuji HS20 !!! But the X cameras are slowly overtaking them... Not so long ago I didn't have a X camera shot in my top ten stats, but now I have several.

Nice to know that the 4 X cameras and 6 XF lenses that I've owned are nearly as popular as a £200 bridge camera :) :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah - Flickr, the land of the puzzling statisitics.

Does any one know what the algoritthm is for calculating statistics of Flickr views? Because when last I used it, it struck me the stats are produced by a random number generator.

Newer cameras always get better viewing figures because those are the cameras people are thinking of buying - hence they are looking for examples to see if the camera will match their expectations and suit the photography style they intend to use it for.

It's a simple fact of modern life. No one looks at images for image sake - only for kit lust :-(

It's very simple. People are searching for photos taken by the XT-1. I search for things like that all the time. When there is a lens I'm interested in buying, I will enter that information into the Flickr search engine.

So with all the global great deals available on the XP1, and the fact that the XT1 has been out 18 months already, you don't think that anyone is interested in seeing XP1 shots? You think that no one is considering buying the XP1 and is curious to search out pictures made by it?

It's not simple at all!

I think that's true of a brand new camera, especially for people like Rico who get to try new cameras before they're released to the general public (being a renowned Fuji expert and author of technical Fuji literature [as well as a great photographer] probably doesn't do his hit count any harm either!!), for older models, I'm not so sure

I am currently re-releasing old X100 Classic shots that I am reprocessing with the current Lightroom version. "New" images are always popular, even when they are 4 years old, simply because they are pushed to the followers. 

Strange thing is, just lately my XP1 shots have been getting all the (comparative) lime light in my photo stream, so I've given up trying to reason it!!

I've been having a little play with LR CC, I still prefer C1, but it's not as clear cut as it used to be for me... I'm finding that although I prefer the output of C1, I seem to have to work a lot harder to get it, then I have too in LR