XT-1 Firmware Should go to Xpro-1 too

I would be gobsmacked if Fuji did that.

As a great thing to do for their customers? - yeah I'd agree.

As a sensible business decision and valid use of technical resources that could be used on the X-Pro2?........ errr not so much

The very fact Fuji are making this kind of fundemental change to the X-T1 via firmware and not tied to a model refresh is utterly astounding. Quite apart from the quality of the cameras and lenses, this attitude on Fuji's part is one of the major reasons I so happy with Fuji. The issue of "version anxiety", where you don't know if you should buy now or wait for the next version to come out, just isn't such a problem with Fuji. The camera you buy today will become the next verison, just refreshed with a firmware update.

I'm afraid that this is not possible, for technical limits (slower processor, no phase detection pixels...) and, as other said, the X-PRO2 is long rumored to come within this year. So I guess Fuji will pack all these sweet new features in the X-PRO2... and maybe, thanks to the rumored EXR III processor, it should work even better!

xpro1 is too "old generation", so will be left behind, like Uriah Heep and Deep Purple. Like Newbie said, first generation sensors can´t handle with all new stuffs.For me,my xpro1 with 14mm attached and a xt1 or xt10 for the others lenses.

I have already asked Porsche to add new features and performance specs of their current 911 Turbo to my used Cayenne, which is only two generations behind the current model. If they don't comply, I'll start a shitstorm in the Porsche forum. Of course I expect them to provide that update free of charge. 

xpro1 is too "old generation", so will be left behind, like Uriah Heep and Deep Purple. Like Newbie said, first generation sensors can´t handle with all new stuffs.For me,my xpro1 with 14mm attached and a xt1 or xt10 for the others lenses.

Uriah Heep and Deep Purple are left well behind - but Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd will never fall behind. Why? 

Simple: They are true classics - and so is the X-PRO1

Yes, new Technology takes over, no question. But that doesn't make a classic a bad thing. 

In this context I also wish for an update of the X-PRO1. Of course this has limits, if there are no PD Pixels on the sensor you can't put them on with a FW update, that's clear.

But classic chrome should work and I am sure some other features might work as well....

Having said that: It would be nice, but then again I don't really miss anything on my X-Pro 1

I think that firmware updates for the X Pro 1 are unlikely because the X Pro team have been focused on the new body, not supporting a body that (let's face it) was supposed to be replaced already. There's no benefit to upgrading the X Pro as they're not expecting to sell any more of them.

The X-T1 gets upgraded because it is still current and they need to keep the firmware for the premium model good to ensure continued sales.

The only models that could get the new functionality, in theory anyway, are those with an X-Trans II sensor and an EXR II processor, i.e. the X100S, X100T, and X-E2. For these models Fuji has to ponder whether spending the software development resources was worthwhile; for the others the issue doesn’t even arise.

if X-Pro1 is really so good that it is preventing customers from buy other cameras in SLR form factor, then they wouldn't need to discount it as heavily as they have. The niche should have kept the price stable. Especially as there has been no direct successor announced. With the same line of reasoning, I think Fuji could have decided to update the firmware if they thought it could keep the sales price up (profit margin) and worth their time to do so until the successor was close to being announced.   Like they have done with the X-T1, which keeps getting updates. 

So I see two possibilities here:

1. X-Pro2 is just around the corner. Although, I don't know why they would drop the price early. Fuji could have waited until announcement of direct successor, at least , if it was still selling well.

2. They decided the X-Pro1 is not different enough from X-T1 to put in an effort to keep the X-Pro1 firmware maintained and up to date until the successor arrives. 

Why else drop the price so drastically, decreasing profit margin, and bundling in other lens which are not selling that well? Especially for a camera that was still reportedly in production as of early 2015.

Why else drop the price so drastically, decreasing profit margin, and bundling in other lens which are not selling that well? Especially for a camera that was still reportedly in production as of early 2015.

To get people hung to the x-system. By puting a foot for dirt cheap in it (like I did with the X-E1) they can decide it's worth every penny and hang on, many DSLR users can decide to give it a go too, and keep it as a backup camera while they trade their heavy gear for a X-T1 once they see the DSLR remains on the shelf while the X-PRO1 is in their bag.

It does not cost Fuji a lot because the X-PRO1 has long passed its profitability curve and all the resources that have been put into dev have long been paid for. Win-win.

I really NEVER would have bought the X-T1 if the X-Pro1 would have been upgradable to the same firmware.

But the first gen sensor doesn't allow the same focussing mechanism (the absolute weak point of the X-Pro1) and I'm also afraid the processor, memory, even built in LCD are not up to a point they allow this (it has been a quite slow camera from day one).

Once again we feel the pain - how Fuji waited too long to come with a X-Pro successor or even an intermediate version - an updated, faster, X-trans II - even @ the same resolution it deserved its place more on the market than a stripped subversion of the X-T1. Likely a massive dump of the first X-Pro1 gen would be the result on the second hands market - which was an interesting concept full of refreshing faux-RF ideas, but (very) far from being a mature, reliable all-round camera.

To get people hung to the x-system. By puting a foot for dirt cheap in it (like I did with the X-E1) they can decide it's worth every penny and hang on, many DSLR users can decide to give it a go too, and keep it as a backup camera while they trade their heavy gear for a X-T1 once they see the DSLR remains on the shelf while the X-PRO1 is in their bag.

It does not cost Fuji a lot because the X-PRO1 has long passed its profitability curve and all the resources that have been put into dev have long been paid for. Win-win.

That's about right; all the development costs will have been long met by now. I've just moved to the X-Pro 1 and reckon it is great value for money.