Fuji X-T1 portrait lens

GuillaumeL

Hi folks,

I have an upcoming project that involves taking some environmental portraits of people. They will mostly be single person upper body outdoor portraits with an urban background. Since we need to see the surroundings, very shallow depth of field capacity isn't really required -- though it can't hurt.

What lens (it can be Fuji or third party) would you use for this job and why ?

Any advice welcome

I use a 56 1.2 APD and the X100T as my main portrait combo. For environmental, even 23mm is sometimes not wide enough, so I also have the 16mm just in case. Frankly, if it's environmental portraits you need, shallow dof is usually not the main factor, so a zoom might also suit your needs.

First I'd pick 23mm

Then maybe add 56mm range later

Then 16mm or 18mm, depending if you need wider

If you go for the 35mm, consider a 16mm or 90mm equivalent on the other ends to complete a kit. I tend to prefer skipping one focal length when choosing lens combos, so for me that usually makes 16/35 or 23/56. Two focal lenghts is what I use 90% of the time. If you are on a budget, an 18mm or 27mm or the kit lens is your best bet.

My website has some examples of both, monochrome album is almost entirely shot with the 56mm, colour is a mix of mostly 23mm, one 16mm, one 35mm (X100T with adapter) and some 56mm.

I'm going to root for the underdog and say the 18mm, especially if price is a concern. If you're going to be shooting in portrait orientation, the 18mm may be a little too wide for upper body portraits, but in landscape orientation it should work great, and you can get it for a great price right now.

35mm is the other classic choice if you want a little more compression.

Thanks for all the answers. This is going to be a tough choice :)

I believe the most rational pick would be the 16-55 f/2.8 but I'm concerned about the size, weight and price -- it's a personal project, not a paid job. Big zooms don't really suit my style of shooting and I've read it felt quite unbalanced on the X-T1.

Although they allow to include more of the environment, I don't really like the distortion caused by focal lengths under 23mm either. I somehow feel that 35mm would be perfect, but that lens is getting quite old and I can't wait (as in, can't afford to) for the new one to come out.

Anyway, I'll do some tests on location with my X100 and the 55-200 I already own (which could be an option as well, but I'd have to shoot from quite far) and see what it gives.

@TomH : very nice portfolio. The average scale I'm looking at is along the lines of your last image in Colour.

You are taking environmental portraiture, so my pick would be a fast wide angle. This will throw the background sufficiently out of focus to avoid distraction, but still have sufficient sharpness to give the 'environment' information. This is taken with the 18mm at f/2.8.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@TomH : very nice portfolio. The average scale I'm looking at is along the lines of your last image in Colour.

Thanks! Last one was shot with the 16 1.4. X100T was not wide enough, or I would have used that one. Keeping an eye on the distortion is key, there is some going on, but it's not too exaggerated. You could just get the WCL for the X100. It will give you a bit more wide angle at a low price. You can find them second hand easily.

Renting a 16-55mm plus grip might be the answer then?  It sounds like weight/balance aside, the 16-55mm is the "right" lens for the job and the grip should help address the balance, whilst also making the XT1 more ergonomic in portrait format.  I love my grip when shooting family portraits etc, especially with the larger lenses like the 56mm and 50-140mm.